Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/8/2002 1:33:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2002 1:39:28 AM EDT by SeaDweller]
Does your pistol fire without the magazine? I think I got one of those stupid new "PC" ones that don't fire without the mag inserted. The slide says "FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE". But when I pull the trigger without the mag inserted ( unloaded, of course ), it just travels without dropping the hammer. The mag has some kind of raised surface on it that when inserted, pushes a small spring thing inside the mag well. This is the mag safety catch switch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2002 6:43:27 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
I have one, great little pistol. Just as reliable as it's big brother, fits nicely in an belly band holster with shorts and a t-shirt. Slide only says, Pietro Beretta, AccoKeek MD etc. To be honest, I can't remember if it has a mag safety or not. I'll have to look.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:55:01 AM EDT
As far as I know, they all have the magazine safety. I've got one and have no complaints. It fits in the hand well and it's been as reliable as a rock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:50:07 AM EDT
Mine is the single stack version, don't remember the number, but it does have a mag saftey. Won't fire without it. Are you sure it doesn't say will not fire
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:55:22 AM EDT
I've had an 84FS one for 2 or 3 years now. Mine too has the magazine safety (won't fire without mag inserted). My slide, however, only says to read the manual before using. LL
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2002 7:35:24 PM EDT by SeaDweller]
I read it again, it does say "FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE". Think I got one of those preban slides? Also something on the slide that none of my other handguns say: "WARNING: RETRACT SLIDE TO SEE IF LOADED." Really now? I can also pull the trigger to see if it's loaded.[BD] Any way a gunsmith could disengage the mag safety catch? This is a beautiful gun crafted in nickel and is the only "flaw" as I see it. Apart from not coming with 13rd mags. Beretta file photo: [img]http://www.beretta.com/images/immagini_maxi/p_64CHEETAHNICK_maxi.jpg[/img] Digital camera is not present at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:59:18 PM EDT
Some years back a guy in a Reno funshop was showing me iirc a hipower with a mag safety. He demonstrated a technique for swapping mags and keeping the gun hot by taking up trigger slack while swapping. The point being a cop could keep a suspect at gunpoint while reloading.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:36:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Axel: Some years back a guy in a Reno funshop was showing me iirc a hipower with a mag safety. He demonstrated a technique for swapping mags and keeping the gun hot by taking up trigger slack while swapping. The point being a cop could keep a suspect at gunpoint while reloading.
View Quote
I tried it ( unloaded, of course ), and it works. But due to the mag release button being so tight it's awkward to accomplish. The gun was pointing in all sorts of directions.
Top Top