Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 7:58:45 PM EDT
or save a man from a felony and keep my mouth shut??

I just had a friend confide in me that her father has unregistered full auto parts for his AK's in his house, I know this is illegal, and part of me says keep my nose out, but this guy has some mental problems along from losing his left leg to a farming accident, is abusive to his wife and daughter (my friend), and is unstable, he doesn't own these guns to shoot, he has them for the so-called "coming revolution", I'm waiting for the tin-foil hat to come out.

I also believe that now that I've heard it, I'm obligated to tell the ATF, is this true??

What would you guys do??  
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Well to hell with what you're legally obligated to do! You said he was abusive and mental, that means dangerous. Do you really want to read about your friend's death in the Sunday paper?

Report the guy and save yourself the heartache.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
She says he's mental, forgot to clarify that, I have never met him.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep your nose out!!

If you really feel the need to report something report him for the abuse.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Ripmeyer. Leave the guns out of the equation if you have no first hand knowledge of them being used to threaten anyone. Also, I don't know your friend but sometimes broads will say crazy things for crazy reasons.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, doing what friends do for friends, I gave her the ATF number, and told her to do it at her discretion, I don't want to be involved, as the underhanded Shitbags might come after me, if he strikes her mother again, she will call, if not, and something happens to my friend, I will take care of it [:|]

The Abuse thing won't work as her mom is too loyal to the asshole.

Chickenshit, he should never hit a woman thats not tryin to kill him!
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe the best thing for her to do is just try to make them "disappear". No ATF, no cops , no problem, they just come up missing one day. He certainly could'nt report them stolen.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Let her deal with it along with her mother. I am assuming she is mature and of sound mind more than her father. Some would argue that under the constitution he has a legal right to own full autos.  
 I know you are trying to do what's best and be a good little snitch, but who's to say and pass judgement on whether one is mental or not. I myself think most people on this board are mental. Does that mean I should turn them all in as mentally defectives and have have them lose all your weapons.
 More important, if you turn him in by your own sick definition of feeling of obligated, you will make your friend an accomplice.  She after all is the one initially aware of these so called full auto weapons and didn't report it. Now wouldn't that just make you feel like da man. No, I'm not going to tell you want to do. Grow up and figure it out for yourself.

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Levi,

I take it that you are one of those who "agree that under the constitution he has a legal right to own full autos". I also derive that you feel that anyone no matter their mental condition or past history of convictions should have their second ammendment infringed upon.

But I'm just guessing.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
This post isn't for real is it? Guy with one leg is thumping his wife and daughter? They can't get out of reach? That being said,there's nothing lower than a guy who thumps women. You want a fight, go to the local tap room, walk up to the biggest guy in the bar and call him a motherfucker. Beat on someone half your size? Coward, pure and simple. Full auto parts are really not the issue. Issue is, are these women going to stand in for the everlast bag (assuming he's nimble enough to chase them around the house on one leg and thump them) or are they going to get out of Dodge? Unfortunately, for some psychological reason that I could never understand, most women in that situation will be happy to stand in for the Everlast bag forever. Ratting the guy out on the full auto parts is a temporary solution. He'll serve his time, and be really pissed when he gets out. Then, what are they going to do?
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask to buy them and then dispose of the parts in question without anyone knowing about it.

If he won't sell,  don't worry:

1. He will be held accountable for his own actions as we all are and should be.
2. The "revolution" will never come the way he thinks it will unless the ATF conmes a knocking on day asking for said parts.

It is NOT a crime to have 3nd hand knowledge of alledged illegal items, but I certainly can see your dilemma, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't know for first hand that the guy has a clinical diagnosis of mental problems, I would stay out of it. Since you say "I have never met him" this is something you should stay out of.

How old is your friend? I ask that because nowdays kids have learned that they can get back at their parents by calling the cops on them and as soon as child protective services gets involved it is guilty until proven innocent.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with what others have said.  Right now you only are hearing a rumor, you really don't have any facts.  Now if you start seeing the friend or the wife with bruses then thats different.  At that point I would suggest you talk to the person that is taking the beating, but be very careful.

I once had a family friend whose husband beat on her. She asked me to take her to the doctor(after he beat on her), which I did. Afterwards, I asked her where she wanted me to drop her off and she wanted to go back home!!  Needless to say, I told her she was a fool and that the next time it happened to not bother calling me for help.  It was tough love, but the fact was she wasn't willing or possibly able to help herself.  Talk to your friend and the wife about the organization called WEAVE, they work with domestic abuse problems and may be able to help.

I would not get the ATF involved, because that is not the main problem.  If anything I would try to eather buy or take the items away from him, or if you have can make the weapon inoperable.  Domestic abuse always escalates. But that to runs the risk of him finding out, and he may then blame the wife/daughter and take it out on them.  

I have been in a few situations were I have seen/heard people getting beaten,husbands vs wives/parents vs kids.  I believe it is my business, since most of the people being beaten are to scared of taking action by themselves.  Usually the person being beaten is scared that if they do call the cops they will get beaten even more after the guy gets out of jail.

It really is up to you.  But before you do anything, make 100% sure that you have facts before proceding.  You may also consider allowing your friend to stay with you for a while if she needs a safe place to stay in case you do call the cops.

Best of luck...you really are in a tough spot.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Question: If the little girl told you her daddy had an illegal substance in the house, would you call the DEA?

The guy may actually be a grumpy, one-legged, farmer but that is the extent of your personal knowledge. I see you decided to keep your nose out of it. Good choice.

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If he really wants a Revolution, have him go to Florida where a couple of listers on this board have formed a Militia.  Maybe he can help them with the constitution.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
If my "friend" (she happens to be my Girlfriend also [:D]), who is 22, ever comes here with bruises, she is moving in with me (she is in 2 months anyway), and if he comes here, and does anything under MY roof, the morgue can have him after I'm finished.[:(!]

As far as her mother, my Girlfriend and I have reached the conclusion that shes just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, Wilson, me too. "Beer muscles" desert you at the most inopportune time, don't they? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Just buy the full auto parts from him so he wont have it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bush Hamster:

Just buy the full auto parts from him so he wont have it.

View Quote

That would not be wise considering he just posted about the parts on the internet...open for all eyes to see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Vyper?

Is that you daten my daughter?

Wait til you come over next time!

I'll show you how well those parts work installed!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Halfcocked,

A: you live in the wrong state
B: I didn't sleep with her till the 5th date [:D]
C: Since I consider my compact CDP to be a part of me, and shoot it as such, wouldn't suggest you point your crappy old AK at me, or even think about it

And if your lying about your state of origin, and you are him (not likely, he can barely use a computer), then, well, sir, I love your daughter very much, and would to tell you how good she is in the sack, and want to say, FUCK YOU!, you should at least help pay for her education, you dick!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Though decision to make but it I were you, I'll verify the accuracy of the informations your friend gave you. Then go from there.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, buy the illegal full auto parts. Become eligible for a 10 year stretch. You are a real pal. And I suppose, having forked over the cash for these verboten items, you will just throw them down the nearest storm drain? Yeah,right.
Until the women leave the old bastard to hop around the barnyard with the chickens, they're going to get thumped.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Right choice.  Turning in the old man to the ATF for an unconstitutional law won't help anyone involved in the slightest. No one, I repeat, no one, likes a snitch.  Now, if he was cooking meth or molesting little boys, that's another story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top