Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 3:10:24 PM EDT
I have decided that my graduation present to myself will be a Mountain Goat hunt in Alaska.
I have always wanted to do this hunt, and I want to do it while I still can.

My Rifle will be a Remington 600 in .308, with a pretty dramatic lighteweight contour stock, and soon to have the barrel and bolt fluted (The gun weighs a shade over 4# as it is).
I know it's a pretty grueling hunt, but I have been working on getting in good hsape, and it has been going very well. I will no doubt be prepared by the time the hunt rolls around.

So, anyone else ever kill one of these?
They make a pretty spectacular trophy.

[img]http://www.muskegexcursions.com/images/patlafemmebilly.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You picked a really tough hunt.

I dont hunt, but a lot of my co-workers do, and they planned to go after goats in Kodiak. Are you doing it this fall?

I can't tell you much more than that, I'm sorry.  But if the guy in the photo can bag one with a simple bow, you should be able to manage with a .308
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Next fall.
The guide/outfitter's i've called require a year advance notice.

My ALL TIME dream hunt is a brownie on Kodiak...
But getting a tag is a bitch, from what I understand.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
some basic info if you haven't been here already
[url]http://www.state.ak.us/adfg/wildlife/geninfo/hunting/huntinfo.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.state.ak.us/adfg/wildlife/geninfo/hunting/huntak.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Have something against goats do you. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Next fall.
The guide/outfitter's i've called require a year advance notice.

My ALL TIME dream hunt is a brownie on Kodiak...
But getting a tag is a bitch, from what I understand.
View Quote

This is the year to pick up a cancelled hunt.  Blair Outdoors CALLED ME today with a shopping list of open hunts.

You might check with Safari Club International in Tucson.  They have a list of some better outfitters who have hunts available.

This is a tough year on outfitters.  The economy, 9/11 and the African situation is taking a toll.

Sheep hunting is a pretty rarified endeavor.  You better be in GOOD physical shape.  Endurance at altitude is the name of the game when you hunt sheep.

A cousin of mine wrote two books about sheep hunting, "Wind, Dust and Snow" and "Great Rams and Great Ram Hunters".  When he was younger he lived to hunt the high peaks for big rams.

And another couple of friends were in Tadjikistan in June of LAST year living in abandoned Soviet military camps and sneaking across the mountain border into the Afghan looking for Marco Polo's.

Bears are easier but still pretty strenuous what with having to hike across ridges and water to get close to the big browns.  Talked to a guy today who just got back from Alaska.  He says the salmon are running right now and bears are all over the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top