Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 6:48:03 AM EDT
I can't remember which thread I read it in, but about a week ago there was a mild argument about the brilliance/stubbornness in sticking with the AR-15 for use for mountain combat. The M4 is small and light, and someone pointed that out as an important justification for its use. I think a AR10.243 in carbine configuration is one helluva improvement, though slightly heavier.

Someone chipped in, "so? my dad humped a Garand across Europe" to point out that making the weight sacrifice isn't too big a deal.

Well, that sentence has been on my mind every day since, and made me think of the effort and sacrifice our vets have made. I can't describe their effort, and my appreciation for them, in a way that will do them justice.

The thought of that phrase has brought tears to my eyes on several occasions so far.

I'm too young to have been around during those wars, in fact I'm too young for even Viet Nam. Nothing I read in history books and watched in movies could movies has moved me as much as that line, "my dad humped a garand across Europe".

I can't wait for the next veterans day parade for me to thank every person who so proudly wore the uniform and went to war to fight for not just America, but for people everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I humped a girl across my bed once. A long time ago. [:(]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey , my Dad humped one across Europe With the 9th Armored Div . Said the damn thing was heavy but would "knock them on their ass " ! He also used  a "Tommy gun " and the carbine . Just depended on where he was Stateside . But in Europe , he had "big mamma " .
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an uncle in the Marines, who spent the war in the Pacific.  He was on Iwo, and didn't hump his Garand, but I guess crawled around with it.  He said once that he didn't stand up for 30 days there.  Not sure if he was exaggerating or speaking literally.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
[marines]

[usa]

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
my dad held his garand on a c-130 at andrews afb during the cuban missle crisis.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad came here during the Korean War with the second wave of troops in July, 1950.

Two Bronze Stars with "V" device, three Purple Hearts for service here and then later on in Vietnam.

He swore by the Garand, the BAR, and the standard .45 pistol, although he did say that if he had an M-16 when he was surprised and shot at close range back in '50, that he "would've got the bastard".

I had gotten him a Springfield Armory .45 which he loved, and had been meaning to surprise him with an M1.

He passed away on October 13, 1999, before I could get him his Garand.  

When I get back to the States next year, I'm going to go ahead and pick one up.

I think he'd like that.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Get that M1 Chris.  I'm sure it would make him happy.  Just hearing small bits from others about their dads having passed away really makes me cherish all the time I have with mine.  Great dads are the top in my book and I mourn a bit for every one that passes on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top