Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 3:40:05 PM EDT
Well i am planning on going to OCS this summer
through the PLC program because i don't yet have a degree and i wanted to get those who have gone through, take on it. How difficult is the leadership course? i heard the puzzles are really tough. What is thr rate for people who are kicked out? And do you know if there is a certain GPA average and such for the PLC program? Any adice on how to survive would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
i looked into this heavily while i was in college. i ended up just enlisting. i already had a career going i was 25 and i just wanted a change of pace. i would say that OCS is more physically challenging than bootcamp. they expect you to be in shape when you get there. its less of a mental "mind fuck" than bootcamp and in a lot of ways its less structured. you can stay up all night if you want studying or squaring away gear. its on you to be rested and prepared for the next day. what turned me off about OCS is the fact that career paths are strictly competitive. there are hundreds of mess officers and Motor-T officers in the Corps who thought they were going to be a fighter pilot. a member here by the handle of STLRN is a mustang officer and fairly shit hot when it comes to kicking some knowledge on the boards. email him, sure its a bit presumptuous but he'll probably lock you on.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
ummmmm. . . .isn't it a little too late???  If you are planning on doing the PLC program, and you don't yet have a degree, then I assume you will be doing the 2-6 week programs??  If that is so, you are WAY too late-especially for the first program-those classes usually start in June.  You then return at the end of your senior year and complete your second 6 weeks-if you are invited back!!!!  After that, you will attend The Basic School-6 months.  If you are talking about leadership-that what OCC is all about.  You will be rated on your ability to lead at every level-from a fire team to a squad, to a platoon-and maybe even a company. You will be rated on a system known as SULE-Small Unit Leadership Evaluation.  you will be given combat-oriented tasks, and YOU will be in charge.  You will be charged with formulating a detailed Op Order, and executing same.  You will be fucked with ALL THE TIME!!!!  It is the job of your Officer Candidate Instructors to send you out of Brown Field/Camp Upshur ON A RAIL-and they will not hesitate to do so.  Always remember-these men are the ones who will determine if you have what it takes to lead THEM-and other enlisted Marines.  People will drop like flies.  Just be able to run and run and run.  You may also have a hard time with the enlisted Marines who go through PLC with you.  These are the "Mustangs" and they despise you also, almost as much as your Instructors.  During one class, a Captain came in and whispered something in the ear of our instructor-he got a very pale look on his face as the Captain walked out.  He then proceeded to tell us that China had just sunk several US Ships-including carriers, and that our training was being "abbreviated," and we were being moved up to deploy.  Fucking dirty trick-but it worked.  Some guys couldn't keep their fear a secret. . . . .like I said-always fucking with you.  The Law and Air guys seem to get shit on the most-so definitely go Ground option!!!! Oh-start learning Land Nav/Map Reading, etc.  I am not sure what your weakness.  Good Luck!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top