Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 1:45:20 PM EDT
just got back from my neurologist. because chiropractic & physical therapy aren't working.he wants me to try something called pain management?

ok you here knows about it, had it done or performs it. does it work or am i going to waste time with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I remember biofeedback is one of the things is used in pain management.

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
John Stossel did a show on this a couple years ago.  Says it is the only thing that really helps people with chronic pain.  Basically you just convince yourself that there is no pain.  Sounds stupid but lots of anecdotal data backing it up.  Nice thing is no drugs or side effects.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
NYshooter,
What part of your body is affected?  I had my neck fused about 18 months ago.  Tried the pain management route with biofeedback, TENS, and isometric exercises prior to the surgery but it didn't work for me.  I feel better after the surgery but still have to go the pain management route at times.  I heard it works great with some people, guess I'm too hard headed.
Tray
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
John Stossel did a show on this a couple years ago.  Says it is the only thing that really helps people with chronic pain.  Basically you just convince yourself that there is no pain.  Sounds stupid but lots of anecdotal data backing it up.  Nice thing is no drugs or side effects.
View Quote

I think I saw that show too. If I remember correctly, the doctor doing the treatment/training would only select certain patients, because some people had real injuryies. He would examine them thoughly first and if he determined that the pain was not injury related in anyway, than he would accept them for the training.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
  Have you tried the oldest and time proven pain management ever known to man?

A six pack or a bottle of booze.

Hey WOW! check it out. I just noticed I'm growing pubes. I'm not a junior anymore.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
"Pain Management" usually means referral to an anesthesiologist who does injections designed to relieve pain.  This is a reasonable approach to short-term pain problems but if you have more of a chronic pain problem, you really have to ask the guy how things are going to be different a week or a month from now.  Is it neck or back pain?  One procedure to keep your eyes open for is the "facet rhizotomy" or medial branch block procedure.  This procedure looks like a keeper.  Keep in mind that there is nothing about going to medical school (especially anesthesia school) that guarantees that a person can critically assess data.  If you can understand ballistic data, you can dang sure understand outcome studies for medical procedures.  Ask the doctor what the long-term outcomes are for the procedure he is recommending.  He should be able to discuss this with you frankly. If he glosses over this or treats you like a little kid, get a different doctor.  Keep us posted and good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top