BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yea dunno if I would mess with the LR2s.  So that would mean 2005 and up.  It may be advisable to stay away from 2005 since it was first model year.  As far as repairs, hard to say when you will get stung.  

I tried the japanese trucks - four runner but they kill my back.  I can't stand to have my feet sticking out that far in front of me.  I am 6'2" and 195 lbs. with a rough back and prefer to sit upright like a chair with my legs down to a certain extent.

Thanks. So 06+ and LR3 or higher.
IDK what you mean about the seats in Jap trucks though...my Titan has an 8 way power seat; you can adjust it out however you like

Speed

If you can afford it, I'd go with an older Porsche Cayanne. Great offroad, good styling, great handling and performance.

All I can say to that is Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....................................
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Remember this KEY point folk:

When Land Rover was the icon of off-road use, their vehicles did NOT have power windows, power seats, heated seats, heated windshields, heated steering wheel, power locks, power mirrors, power brakes, or power steering!

They had 4 fucking wheels, motor, transmission, some shitty seats, and a thin ass body!  No mention of the word POWER ever!

See where I'm headed?
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Their electrical systems are complete garbage.

Just total trash.

Prepare to enjoy the such features as no over drive if they key isn't inserted just so, abs failure, no wipers if it is cold outside, and radio volume going up when it was turned down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I will say the LR3 is awesome for the offroad stuff.  At least as much as 90% of people will actually participate in...... I won't be doing any rock crawling etc.

Check out TOPGEAR.......can't hotlink.....I suck at the internets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKGLXnJfKwY&feature=fvwrel
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
They have a reputation for being pretty easy to work on - and needing to be worked on a lot.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My buddy's GF has one. 2010 LR2, front diff as chewed itself up twice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea dunno if I would mess with the LR2s.  So that would mean 2005 and up.  It may be advisable to stay away from 2005 since it was first model year.  As far as repairs, hard to say when you will get stung.  

I tried the japanese trucks - four runner but they kill my back.  I can't stand to have my feet sticking out that far in front of me.  I am 6'2" and 195 lbs. with a rough back and prefer to sit upright like a chair with my legs down to a certain extent.

Thanks. So 06+ and LR3 or higher.

IDK what you mean about the seats in Jap trucks though...my Titan has an 8 way power seat; you can adjust it out however you like
Speed

In the Tacos and 4runners you basically sit on the floor with your legs in front of you. I don't like it either. Bought a Tundra instead, had very comfortable seats.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LR's are junk...Run, run far away.....

This. They are mechanical nightmares. They are junk. If you want a luxurious SUV look no further than a used Toyota Lancruiser.

Land Cruiser > Range Rover in most cases. Lots of electrical issues IIRC. I've known a few people with them as well and every single one of them has had issues.

If you are going to buy a new RR and trade it in a few years then you may not have many issues, but I'd stay away from used ones.

Finding a good deal on a used Land Cruiser will be a trick though. I've been looking for a long time myself.

I do well with fixing LR's... and reliability overall (non-anectdotal) is below suckage.

I'd definitely suggest a Land Cruiser or Lexus LX ... check kbb pricing on used LR's and LC's and you'll see what I mean.  Easy parts availability.  Comfortable as hell either around town or on a trail.  The Land Cruiser/LX are made entirely in Japan and quality shows that.  Accident photo's show they're built like an effin tank.

Great deals on used LC's are a lot harder to find than on Rover's as people tend to keep them well past warranty expiration.  I spent a year and a half waiting for mine...well worth it.

I Hate Mud is the ARF of LC's and LX's.

Pm me if you need more.

hth

-hanko

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
In before the replacement wiring harness smoke

My dad has a 2001 Defender 110 2.5 td from new. Done 85k miles now. Had a replacement wheel bearing last week (may have been my fault... )

Had a 1992 Defender before that he sold at 103k miles. The heavy clutch gave him backache.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful vehicles, nightmarish maintenance.

I was in lust with getting an LR for a long time. But in research it is like finding the diary of the girl you like and finding out she is a very ugly person on the inside, and all her exes have bad stories.

That said, I'd take this Defender for killin me some trolls

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I was very interested in the Discovery and whatnot a few years ago and was seriously entertaining buying one.

Asked a car guy what the deal was with them. I heard the usual stories but saw lots of well off people driving them. Why drive an expensive POS when you can have a super reliable luxury brand for the same price? He said the idea was that people drive a LR to say, "I can afford to have my luxo-SUV in the shop all the time."

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like thread from about a year ago....

Lets check out what owners really have to say.....

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/

http://forum.solihullsociety.org/

One should check out all  the pics and vids from this yr's Rally in Moab....just to be fair...

Yep, 01 DII SD ,80K on the clock...sure it needs serviceing, what doesn't ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was very interested in the Discovery and whatnot a few years ago and was seriously entertaining buying one.

Asked a car guy what the deal was with them. I heard the usual stories but saw lots of well off people driving them. Why drive an expensive POS when you can have a super reliable luxury brand for the same price? He said the idea was that people drive a LR to say, "I can afford to have my luxo-SUV in the shop all the time."

The Discovery is a POS.

Had one for 2 months. 2 years old and the door shuts were rusting along with horrible roll when cornering.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Land Rover Defenders and Range Rovers used to be great, then thye were bought by Ford Who raped them for technology and turned them into expensive Escapes and crap Explorers. If you want a decent one you have to go before a 1998 V8 Diesel. Then you have to remember the electronics are British.

Actually now they are owned by Tata Motors (Mumbai, India).  Who know what that will do do quality control.

Officially Official: Tata buys Jaguar Land Rover for $2.3 billion

By John Neff

Ford has issued a press release confirming that it has sold both Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors for an approximate price of $2.3 billion, which comes under some numbers as high as $2.65 billion that were being tossed around yesterday. The rumor that Ford will contribute to pension funds associated with the brands is also true, as it confirmed that $600 million will be dropped into the retirement coffers of the brands once the deal closes. It is, of course, subject to regulatory approval in a number of countries, but the automaker expects the deal to be done by the end of the following quarter. As part of the deal, Ford will continue to supply powertrains, stampings and other unnamed vehicle components to Tata for "differing periods", as well as R&D research, environmental and platform technologies, and even accounting services, among others. Clearly the ties that bind Jaguar Land Rover to Ford are strong and will take some time to undo. Judging from the press release, it seems all parties involved, including the employees of Jaguar Land Rover, are pleased with how the deal went down, and for the time being both brands will be run business as usual during the transition period.

Source
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#15]
My LR2 has issues, though everything has been covered by warranty.  (Note that it is nowhere as expensive as my 100k mile Jeep was becoming.)

The 2008-2009 LR2s have a significant problem with the $5,000 rear diff.  My 2010 (25k miles) just blew out the rear pinion bearing and transfer case.  I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty....

Computer is unstable and requires a reset every so often.  I've had issues with the auto windows in particular (sunroof got stuck open and automatic functions on the driver's window).  Not a big deal unless it happens to be snowing.

That said, it's basically the only way to do what I need to do while still having a luxury car.  The ride is spectacular, the fuel economy is decent for a heavier SUV, the full time Haldex AWD has gone places you couldn't take a BMW or Audi.  It will take on 20 inches of water, 2 feet of snow or more, icy roads, soft sand...it has every stability system under the sun, it handles very well, the brakes are the best I have ever driven, airbags everywhere.  In the end, I'm happy, it's comfortable and does what I need it to do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Land Rovers are all about maintenance. Lots and lots of expensive maintenance.
There is a reason why you find alot of good deals on them.
Most owners don't follow the maintenance schedule and therefore most have underlying problems.
DO NOT buy a Rover without extensive maintenance records.

Parts are extremely expensive. You will be sorry if you go to a discount auto parts place for your  parts
Make sure you use a mechanic that knows rovers.
They can be quirky beasts and if they don't know these quirks they can end up costing you alot more in uneccesary repairs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had more issues with my '12 Jeep Rubicon than I ever did with my LR3 that I put 90k miles on. Had BFGs on my stock LR3 rims. There is a pretty good selection of offroad tires avalaible for them despite what a previous poster said(you can get the Goodyear MTR in a 19" for the LR4). Doing your own maintenance isn't that expensive if you know where to go for parts. Who ever said a brake job for a LR was $1k is full of shit. Last one I did cost $210 for pads and sensors. Wear pad sensors are $18 ea(need 2), EBC front pads were $100, rears were $65. The LR3 is not a Disco I/II negating 99% of previous posters' herp and derp. The more I drive the jeep the more I miss the LR3. If the 2014 Jeep grand cher overland in diesel turns out to be a turd I'm going back to LR.

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most owners don't follow the maintenance schedule and therefore most have underlying problems.

Parts are extremely expensive. You will be sorry if you go to a discount auto parts place for your  parts
They can be quirky beasts and if they don't know these quirks they can end up costing you alot more in uneccesary repairs.

^^^ this.

practically every high profile european soccer player has a range rover to tote the wife and kids around in.  

you know why?

because they can afford the repair bills, that's why.  

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4550610/Steven-Gerrard-flogs-his-120k-Range-Rover-on-AutoTrader-for-just-58k.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, I found a Tech I could trust way before I thought about buying anything. But tha'ts just me. If you don't stick to the maint schedule..oh well. Same when I worked at a Mercedes garage.... " Sir, that's your timing chain slapping ! Better replaced it our your valve train is goin to drop in to the pistons" ! Some people listen...some don't.

This guy is the best out here...

http://www.jcbritish4x4.com/welcome/

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They used to be amazing offroad vehicles (think Land Cruiser on steroids) before Ford bought the brand.  Once that happened they started to go to shit.  Many owners have lots of issues with their LR's and parts/ labor is very expensive.  It's not worth it especially for a used one.  This is just my thoughts and feelings on them so take it for what it's worth.  I will say the new vehicles are very sharp looking they just aren't particularly reliable.  

Dude... Just "no", to all of that. The Land Rover was a POS decades before Ford ever thought about buying them. Calling one of those fragile, poorly engineered, and horribly supported things a "Land Cruiser on steroids" is only accurate if you're trying to imply that they were damaged by 'roid abuse.

First Land Rover I encountered in my life was one on my stepdad's repair lot. The owner was a former oil guy, who'd brought it back from Libya, because he liked it. We had it on the lot for something like six months, waiting for parts that came in wrong something like six times. We were having to bypass the dealership up in Portland, Oregon, and call straight to England. We still got the wrong shit in, five times. To the tune of several thousand dollars in 1970s money. The owner eventually just said to hell with it, and sold it to my stepdad for what he was into it in storage and parts. Not one of my stepdad's wisest moves, because that thing proved to be a horrible vehicle, both fragile and unreliable. When you've replaced your third or so axle in about six months, your belief system about what's "cool" changes considerably. We walked back from more than a few hunting and fishing trips. Similar reports are never heard from contemporary Land Cruiser owners, because those damn things just work.

Based on the amateur-hour support alone, I'd never buy one. And, that aspect hasn't changed much in fifty damn years, either. I've heard Land Rover owners tell me stories of nightmarish parts and repair issues that tend to convince me that if I could only understand their thought processes, I'd be a long way towards understanding why abused women go back to the man who beat them, time and time again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Must have been an early Series II or III . ^^^^^^. Atleast there is not "black boxes" in those.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#22]
They're pretty capable vehicles if they work. If.

Don't buy one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
RUN AWAY! DO NOT LOOK BACK!
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Guess the SAS have good mechanics....
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I am an Englishman, and I am here to tell you to never trust us to build anything much bigger than a hat.  (Except a rifle in my case)

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am an Englishman, and I am here to tell you to never trust us to build anything much bigger than a hat.  (Except a rifle in my case)

I'd beg to differ. Some UK products are amazingly well-made and engineered. Hell, look at how much British equipment for combat engineering we've adopted, over the years: The Bailey Bridge, the Medium Girder Bridge, and a whole host of other things. Let's not even get into the things we should have bought, like Giant Viper, either...

The problems I've run into with anything from the UK seem to originate at that interface between craftsman/engineer and the rest of the business. That Land Rover story I related earlier came about from sheer uncaring bloody-mindedness out on the warehouse floor, more than anything else. We got the invoice in all cases where the parts were wrong, and they'd been properly ordered at least twice. The problem was that someone was putting the wrong damn part into the package with the invoice, and shipping it out to us. This happened even when we were ordering from the US-based warehouse, so I have to speculate that it was something cultural in the warehouse system the company used. Then, too, there was the fact that those axles were all breaking due to poor heat-treating, not design: Once we found an after-market manufacturer, and replaced them with his product, the issue stopped happening. Of course, by then we were on to the electrical system, and that got torn out and replaced entirely with a standard negative-ground US system.

A lot of great things come out of the UK. But, they seem to do so despite whatever is happening in manufacturing and warehousing. Mabey-Johnson bridges are a good example: We got a mission to replace a bridge up around Tikrit, around 2004. To do this, we pulled the bridge kit bought for the war out of storage in Kuwait, and sent it north. It was packed in roughly 200 40' containers, and I got to spend a couple of weeks pulling those things out of the container yards and shipping them north. To do so, we had what was supposed to be a comprehensive list of containers and parts, sent by Mabey-Johnson. They sent out a rep who was a supposed subject matter expert, and when they got all the stuff up north, they started building the bridge. Lo and behold, it turned out that they were missing key parts, and when sufficient hell was raised, a second and third set of container lists was produced by the folks back in the UK, and I had to go container-yard searching again. What struck me as messed up? The original containers were clearly marked Mabey-Johnson, stenciled in huge letters. The ones that were on the later lists? Unmarked. Not part of the inventory, at all, despite having been shipped to Kuwait on the same container ship. Someone in the company simply hadn't done their job properly. That's what's killing UK industry, I'm afraid––Lack of competence and follow-through down on the lowest levels of management and labor. Every time I've dealt with an individual entrepreneur in the UK, I've gotten excellent service and a great product. Past a certain point of scale, and the whole thing seems to fall apart.

Don't even get me started about trying to get parts for a Perkins-Sabre marine engine in Kuwait from the local agent. That poor guy just laughed for hours when I gave him a list of simple parts we needed for the bridge boats. He apparently couldn't get the folks at Perkins-Sabre in the UK to send out the right parts on any order of his, and he'd almost gone out of business until he'd gotten in with a couple of Chinese manufacturers, along with some Japanese ones. Kuwait used to use Perkins-Sabre in almost all of their rig-tenders and fishing boats, but that had changed because of poor service, per what this guy was telling me. The engines themselves weren't the issue––They were great. It was the after-sales thing that was killing him, along with just getting the damn motors.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I am just wondering how many of you "they are junk"  guys actually have owned a Land Rover?

I have had three (fourth on the way) and currently have a 2004 Discovery II SE in the driveway with 136,000 on the clock and the only thing it have ever had trouble with was passenger side power window regulators (4 of them).

I have owned and seriously four wheeled two Defender 90's (one with 75,000 miles and the other had 156,000 when I sold them) and had minimal problems (clogged catalytic converters on each a known issue and common problem with these).

I just purchased a 2013 Range Rover Supercharged Sport (pick it up end of the month), 510HP of full time four wheel drive luxury. This thing is amazingly competent on or off road, locking differentials, 4:1 low range transfer case, fully adjustable suspension and driving modes and an interior that would make you cry it's so damn nice... I hope I enjoy the same reliability as the others provided.

Take care of your cars and they will take care of you (even the ones you rock crawl at Uwharrie)

Land Rovers are junk lol...

The content of this post is backed up with my real world experience with Land Rovers and does not rely on "what someone told me"
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am just wondering how many of you "they are junk"  guys actually have owned a Land Rover?

I have had three (fourth on the way) and currently have a 2004 Discovery II SE in the driveway with 136,000 on the clock and the only thing it have ever had trouble with was passenger side power window regulators (4 of them).

I have owned and seriously four wheeled two Defender 90's (one with 75,000 miles and the other had 156,000 when I sold them) and had minimal problems (clogged catalytic converters on each a known issue and common problem with these).

I just purchased a 2013 Range Rover Supercharged Sport (pick it up end of the month), 510HP of full time four wheel drive luxury. This thing is amazingly competent on or off road, locking differentials, 4:1 low range transfer case, fully adjustable suspension and driving modes and an interior that would make you cry it's so damn nice... I hope I enjoy the same reliability as the others provided.

Take care of your cars and they will take care of you (even the ones you rock crawl at Uwharrie)

The content of this post is backed up with my real world experience with Land Rovers and does not rely on "what someone told me"

So I take it your screaming rich.. good for you! /pats your back..
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all sir... All the previous models I have owned were used. As a matter of fact the Range Rover is the first brand new car I have ever bought.

ETA: I own my own business (tech) and yes... I did build that!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all sir... All the previous models I have owned were used. As a matter of fact the Range Rover is the first brand new car I have ever bought.

I know what the asking price is on these. they are not cheap. even when they are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I beg to differ, I had two Discos. A I and a II and both were awesome. Like ANY used vehicle just find one with a good maintenance history and keep everything up to date.

My '96

My '02

My mom had an LR3 for a while as well and it was reliable, and very capable
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've had more issues with my '12 Jeep Rubicon than I ever did with my LR3 that I put 90k miles on. Had BFGs on my stock LR3 rims. There is a pretty good selection of offroad tires avalaible for them despite what a previous poster said(you can get the Goodyear MTR in a 19" for the LR4). Doing your own maintenance isn't that expensive if you know where to go for parts. Who ever said a brake job for a LR was $1k is full of shit. Last one I did cost $210 for pads and sensors. Wear pad sensors are $18 ea(need 2), EBC front pads were $100, rears were $65. The LR3 is not a Disco I/II negating 99% of previous posters' herp and derp. The more I drive the jeep the more I miss the LR3. If the 2014 Jeep grand cher overland in diesel turns out to be a turd I'm going back to LR.

My 12 Rubi hasn't given me the 1st problem.  Hope it stays that way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what the asking price is on these. they are not cheap. even when they are cheap.

They are certainly not cheap but I have done well lately, figured it was time for a present (to me) lol...

No wife, no kids, no credit cards, and no debt other than my mortgage certainly helps.

I promise as well to actually get it dirty
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are certainly not cheap but I have done well lately, figured it was time for a present (to me) lol...

No wife, no kids, no credit cards, and no debt other than my mortgage certainly helps.

LOL
I have had a 95 DI since 03. I got it with 87k on it and now shes sitting at 160k
Ive had to replace..
Radiator
alt 3 times
oil cooler hoses
clutch
gastank
fule pump
timing chain cover
oil pressure sending unit 3 times
sub speekers
cruse controler box
cruse control switches
sunvisors
both sets of sunroof rails
flex coupler twice
headliner
seatcovers
and the regular maint stuff, cap rotor plugs filters oil..

She has only left me stranded once. at a wall mart with a broken fuel pump.. Shes been a good girl..
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
I have had a 95 DI since 03. I got it with 87k on it and now shes sitting at 160k
Ive had to replace..
Radiator
alt 3 times
oil cooler hoses
clutch
gastank
fule pump
timing chain cover
sub speekers
cruse controler box
cruse control switches
sunvisors
flex coupler twice
headliner
seatcovers

She has only left me stranded once. at a wall mart with a broken fuel pump.. Shes been a good girl..

I like the D1's and do not see many around these days. Come to think of it I do have an issue with the D II in my driveway and I think it is fairly common with them, it has a leaky axle seal rear passenger side and the saggy headliner of course.

But reading through some of the posts in this thread (if I knew nothing about LR) I would think that if I purchased one it would vaporize in my driveway and take the local preschool out with it lol. All in all they are decent vehicles and I am not sure where they received such a bad rap?

Look a couple posts up... I posted a pic of one my Defenders doing the Terra-Firma boogie.

Also I apologize and will turn in my membership card from the 1% club

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#38]
A friend of mine has had two Range Rover Sports, current one is a 2011 Supercharged.  He swears by them, and not at them :)  The resale value is a bit poor though...
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Ive had to replace..
Radiator
alt 3 times
oil cooler hoses
clutch
gastank
fule pump
timing chain cover
sub speekers
cruse controler box
cruse control switches
sunvisors
flex coupler twice
headliner
seatcovers

I like the D1's and do not see many around these days. Come to think of it I do have an issue with the D II in my driveway and I think it is fairly common with them, it has a leaky axle seal rear passenger side and the saggy headliner of course.

But reading through some of the posts in this thread (if I knew nothing about LR) I would think that if I purchased one it would vaporize in my driveway and take the local preschool out with it lol. All in all they are decent vehicles and I am not sure where they received such a bad rap?

Look a couple posts up... I posted a pic of one my Defenders doing the Terra-Firma boogie.

Also I apologize and will turn in my membership card from the 1% club

/ finger!
i wanted one of them but had to get the D1 instead..
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Nice pics, Storz
                 Check out the vids from the 2012 Rally in Moab, last week.

http://forum.solihullsociety.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&p=25369&sid=351a0084edd1427e530f0ddd19dc582f#p25369
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#41]

All kidding aside, I did have a 1995 Range Rover and it was decent while I owned it. The only issue I had was a water pump starting to weep, so I replaced it myself in the driveway before it went bad. Cost me $65 if I remember correctly. Oh, and I got rid of the air bags since the compressor had gone out. I never lowered it anyways, so the springs were worth the investment. Other than horrible gas mileage it wasn't that bad of a vehicle and I enjoyed driving it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes––I've owned two of them (I know, I know) both were impossible to keep running for any length of time.  A real shame––they look so cool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They used to be amazing offroad vehicles (think Land Cruiser on steroids) before Ford bought the brand.  Once that happened they started to go to shit.  Many owners have lots of issues with their LR's and parts/ labor is very expensive.  It's not worth it especially for a used one.  This is just my thoughts and feelings on them so take it for what it's worth.  I will say the new vehicles are very sharp looking they just aren't particularly reliable.  

Wrong––I owned a 68 and a 72(bought new) they were both shit then too!
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#44]
i do love the range rover, but they'll consistently last in quality according to JD Powers - if you want, get a new one under warranty and lease it for 3 years
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#45]
oh and did I mention bad gas millage.. on good days I get 11's. highway maybe 17's

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
oh and did I mention bad gas millage.. on good days I get 11's. highway maybe 17's

I am 18 unless towing. City does better than 80 on the freeway.

A lot of people here hate on the model don't know much about them. A dealer break job isn't 1k as a poster claimed. 600 with discs and pads. There really aren't part options, other than dealer.

Ford and Chrysler did a great job copying good parts and features from landrover.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#47]
1997 D1
183,000 miles
I get 15 MPG - runs smooth

Replaced :
starter (only time it left me stranded)
radiator
engine bushings
one manifold

needs;
o2 sensors replaced
radio
seat controls
cruise control replaced
leaky power steering (never did figure out why)

There is a local shop that can convert it to a 300TDi and that will be my next "project"  
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
1997 D1
183,000 miles
I get 15 MPG - runs smooth

Replaced :
starter (only time it left me stranded)
radiator
engine bushings
one manifold

needs;
o2 sensors replaced
radio
seat controls
cruise control replaced
leaky power steering (never did figure out why)

There is a local shop that can convert it to a 300TDi and that will be my next "project"  

dude they all leak! mine does too..
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Thank you. I knew the quirks going into it, so nothing would shock me now. Like I've said in these threads before I've never had any major problems and I love my DII. Mine even works at -30F albeit a little sluggish, but everything is at those extreme temperatures. Once I pay off my STi and IVF I'll be adding an imported 300 Tdi D110 to my driveway.

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Typing this from my '06 LR3. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

The fact that the dealer service dept doesn't know their ballsack from a differential housing is another story.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top