Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 2:23:41 PM EDT
Okay everybody, Anyone here ever use MOLLE system? I've heard it's a very comfortable system to employ, but I was looking for a few who may have first hand experience, or even those of you who have hears it's ups/downs from others.

I recently ran into a large amount of money and am looking to purchase a new gear system.

I am also looking at the DOAV system by Blackhawk, and the RACK (Ranger Assault Carrying Kit) by Blackhawk as well.

In the Army I used the tried and true TA-50 LCE (Y-Suspenders, Web Belt, everything attatched by ALICE Clips). But now I have been using the the EOD Blackhawk Vest, find it comfortable, just tough to go to the prone position in.

Any suggestions?

PS. I remember a thread about 6 mo back about an Industry Partner that went for a hike with other Industry Partners who field tested the MOLLE System and came back with a few good opinions on the matter. Does anyone know who this was, or what the thread's subject line was, or does anyone have a link to it?

Thanks,
-Uhlek
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your intended use?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Like anything else in life, it is all about how you plan on using it.
If you need this for a SHTF scenario, I would recommend the regular tried and true LBE the army employs. Before anyone flames me, let me say that while carrying a pack, it is the only system (w/the exception of MOLLE) to my knowledge that allows the (somewhat) comfortable wearing of a backpack.
This is what I would wear in an extended hiking situation.
OTOH, if you are in som kind of urban enviornment, or even around the house in a rural area, where resupply is assured, I would definitely go w/a vest setup. Blackhawk makes very good products, and the army's 2nd gen vests are even pretty good. At that point, I would ditch the old ALICE setup.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Blackhawk makes very good products? Not lately. Go with Eagle or London Bridge. Even Tactical Tailor is of higher quality than Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Uhlek,

First, it would help if you let us know more regarding your intented purpose for the pack.

As for the MOLLE, I've been using it now for well over a year with good results. It's definitely a step up from the Alice and CFP-90 packs. It's highly modular. It will allow you to attach as many accessory pouches as you may need, depending on the mission profile/duration. People have a love/hate relationship with MOLLE. Some despise the system, others love it. From my experience the single biggest problem with the MOLLE is that the majority of the individuals are unable to set up the MOLLE correctly. Once it was set up correctly for my build/frame it was a pleasure to use. My only gripe is with the LBV portion of the system. Although its highly modular it's designed to ride high on the hips so as not to interfere with the ruck. This makes it difficult to access mags and your 9mm. It was so bad that I now use a dropleg holster for my 9mm. I've done a number of 10+ mile humps carrying the MOLLE, a full LBV loadout including loaded M16 and 9mm  mags, and a 40+ pound medic bag, and I found it to be extremely comfortable. Actually, I didn't realize how comfortable the pack was until, after 8 miles, I put the pack down to rest and, when I went to pick it up, I realized how heavy my load out was (appx 100 lbs) yet I never felt it when I was humping it. Considering i have a small frame and weigh 160 lbs that's saying a lot. As for its durability I can't comment on  that yet as I haven't used it enough.Mind you, I'm comparing the MOLLE to the old Alice pack and the CFP-90. I can't tell you if the MOLLE is better/worse than 3rd party gear (Blackhawk, London Bridge, Becker, TT, etc) as we're not allowed to use it in my unit and, therefore, I have no experience with them. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I would primarily use it for SHTF senario, but each year, I take 2 weeks off work and go tac-camping/hiking and use my equipment.

I'm looking for something at will allow me to travel relatively light (I camp very spartan) but comfortable none the less. But at the same time, something that will allow me to travel very quickly in an urban environment.

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Go here, they kick everybody's asses:

[url]www.soegear.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Find a cute gal named ALICE and make her carry everything. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Sinistral-
Do you know of a site where I can find ALL of the available MOLLE components? As I understand it, MOLLE is supposed to be modular, and I want to see if I can configure it to meet exactally what I need.

Thanks,
-Uhlek
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sinistral-
Do you know of a site where I can find ALL of the available MOLLE components? As I understand it, MOLLE is supposed to be modular, and I want to see if I can configure it to meet exactally what I need.

Thanks,
-Uhlek
View Quote

[url]http://www.specialtydefense.com/[/url] is the manufacturer's website. There should be a downloadable care and use manual for the MOLLE pack that should answer some of your configuration questions....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top