Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 1:22:28 PM EDT
OK, I have a few movie and video clips that are 800+ MB in size. When I burn them to VCD they fit fine on a 700 MB CD-R.

Is there a way to back them up though? Using the same program Nero Burning ROM they will convert to VCD and fit, but not if I retain their original format. What I want is a Data CD backup of the original file.

Anyone know how to do it?

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Save it as a disc image.

The VCD is not a single file. What was the mpeg or avi on your hard drive gets reformatted and arranged in different parts on the CD and arrange in specific directories. With out that directory structure it won't be recognized as a vcd.

You can also get ripper programs that will rip the VCD back to a mpeg or avi for convenient storage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This should answer any question you could possible have [url]http://www.vcdhelp.com[/url]

How to convert, crop, encode you name it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys. Thanks for the links but they didn't help.

They were about the VCD files themselves. That part is no problem. I can burn the Movie and Video Clips to VCD just fine.

The problem is I want to back up the original Movie and Video Clips as they are onto a CD-R, not as a burned VCD.

So I want to burn Movie Clip and Video Clip files which are larger than 700 MB to a CD-R. I need to know how to do that.

Anyone know how to do it? Especially with Nero.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try using Winzip or another archiving program to break the large files into parts so they'll fit.  I use WinRAR for compressing and archiving and it does it.  You just input what size you want the chunks.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Crap I never thought of using WinZip to zip the file.

Will that cause any loss of quality of audio or video?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Crap I never thought of using WinZip to zip the file.

Will that cause any loss of quality of audio or video?
View Quote

Nope. You just uncompress the file back to it's original size. You can also just put them in a folder or folder and zip the folder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Problem solved. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Problem solved. Thanks.
View Quote

[:D]

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
your going to have to convert the video into something smaller then 800+ megs either convert the mpeg into a divx codec compressed avi or use winrar to compress the video into split up rar files. prob with that is when u want to play it u need to recompress the rar file.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK, I have a few movie and video clips that are 800+ MB in size. When I burn them to VCD they fit fine on a 700 MB CD-R.

Is there a way to back them up though? Using the same program Nero Burning ROM they will convert to VCD and fit, but not if I retain their original format. What I want is a Data CD backup of the original file.

Anyone know how to do it?
View Quote

Just burn it twice, one to play, one to save, and when you funk up the play copy, just CD copy yourself another one from the save copy. If you want to send it to someone just copy it an image file.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
WinZip doesn't decompress the files enough.

A 850 MB filfe becomes a 750MB file. Still too big fo a CD-R.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could try using Winzip or another archiving program to break the large files into parts so they'll fit.  I use WinRAR for compressing and archiving and it does it.  You just input what size you want the chunks.

USPC40

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/url]
View Quote

OK, I got WinRAR.

I tried to archive it and it did decompress the file. But like WinZip did not make it small enough to burn to a CD-R.

Using WinRAR, how do a break up a file into 2 parts? If I can take File A and break it into File A Part I and File A Part II that will solve my problem.

I read the help section of WinRAR but still cannot figure out how to do this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OK, I got WinRAR.

I tried to archive it and it did decompress the file. But like WinZip did not make it small enough to burn to a CD-R.

Using WinRAR, how do a break up a file into 2 parts? If I can take File A and break it into File A Part I and File A Part II that will solve my problem.

I read the help section of WinRAR but still cannot figure out how to do this.
View Quote

WinRar is of little use for what you want to do... you're just re-compressing a file that's already been compressed.

Download TMPGE [url]http://www.tmpgenc.net [/url] and you can split your video file into two parts. VCD Cutter is another one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I figured out a way to pull it off with WinRAR.

Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top