Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 7:41:29 AM EDT
OK I sold off my one and only 1911 (Kimber) at the beginning of the summer and want another 1911.

This time, I've decided to make an attempt at putting one together myself.

My first question would be where to get the parts, frame, etc, etc?

My other question would be about finding references on how to put one together?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The frame, being the serial-numbered part, is legally the firearm and must be purchased through a licensee.  Everything else you can get by catalog.  Brownells, Midway, and most of the major customizers sell the components - slides, barrels, bushings, pins, hammers, triggers, so on and so forth.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Caspian [smoke] http://www.caspianarms.com/

Edit: to add link
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The best book is Jerry Kuhnhausen’s “The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual”.  It doesn’t specifically address building one from scratch, but it has all the answers.  He has added second volumn to this; I forget the exact name.

Ed Brown’s “1911 Bench Reference” is also pretty good, but not as good as Kuhnhausen’s.  

Wilson also has one, but I don’t care too much for it.  Wilson also has a maybe 4 or 5 VHS video set on 1911 building that Brownells carries.  I’ve never seen it, so I don’t know if it’s any good – it is expensive!

Save yourself a lot of trouble by buying quality parts!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of building one myself. You can get [b]everything[/b] you need from [url=www.brownells.com]Brownells[/url]. I want to buy a matched frame ans slide set.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Yet another choice:

[url]www.danwessonfirearms.com/1911kits.HTM[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The frame (lower) is technically the firearm. Everything else is parts.
get a [url]www.brownells.com[/url] catalog and start looking through it. They have any part or gunsmithing tool you could ever need.
Find a good local dealer to get the frame.

When I was younger, I tried to cut corners and use alot of cheap parts. after they broke, I spent money again on good parts.

Have fun and do it right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a C&R you could get an argentine colt clone. There's a good website out there where I guy takes two of these argentine pistols and custimizes them. I can't find the link.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a web site that explains the whole thing in a very simple and straight forward manner. I have the link stuck away somewhere. Search around a little maybe you can locate it.If not e me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top