Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/1/2002 4:47:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:50:43 PM EDT
I would opt for the 27". Make sure you get a Stereo TV with plenty of AV inputs and S-Video inputs. This will allow you to easily add components such as DVD players and VCR's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:52:45 PM EDT
Get the Best Buys special - a 32" Why 32"? Cuz it's the biggest most folks can carry home. (just a sarcastic observation from what I see everytime I go to that store)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:13:15 PM EDT
You don't need a TV. Mine broke a month and a half ago and I still haven't gotten a new one. I've been so busy that I don't even miss it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:22:22 PM EDT
The money for this comes out of my firearms fund, so cheaper is better!
View Quote
I've been eyeing a 5" AC/DC powered black and white at Office Depot. It's $30. Just mentioning it since the money is coming out of your firearms fund.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:47:55 PM EDT
Our T.V. just bit the dust too. We splurged and got a 32 inch Sony flat screen. Not alot of toys on it but "Nice Picture". Figure you're going to be looking at it for the next 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:52:19 PM EDT
If it wasn't for DVDs and the History Channel, I wouldn't even own a TV. I would get a mid-level 32". If you have a DVD player, you want component video input. You also want an S-Video input and as many AV inputs as possible. Stereo, or course, surround maybe. PIP is cool if your TV has two tuners, but this usually cost a lot more. Another option is to stick with crappy TVs, just so you'll get frustrated and do something more constructive with your time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:53:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: Get the Best Buys special - a 32" Why 32"? Cuz it's the biggest most folks can carry home. (just a sarcastic observation from what I see everytime I go to that store)
View Quote
Ha. My 34" is 185lbs. There are a lot of good cheap sets now, good time to buy. You can find a good 27" with component inputs for around 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:56:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Teltech: Our T.V. just bit the dust too. We splurged and got a 32 inch Sony flat screen. Not alot of toys on it but "Nice Picture". Figure you're going to be looking at it for the next 10 years or so.
View Quote
I picked up a Sony 32" a couple of months ago. $175 with matching Sony stand. Or course, it was manufactured in 1995. The used TV market is a great resource. Some people have to have the latest and greatest, and will give you 3 year-old models for next to nothing if you do all the moving. If it's larger than 32", you may get an even better deal because like fight4yourrights said, it's a nightmare to move those big ones.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:28:19 AM EDT
Get a Magnavox, one with smart sound, geesh, I hate those loud commercials.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:55:03 AM EDT
Sony. I bought a 32" about 8 years ago and love the TV. Only thing thats went wrong is the remote control broke about 2 years ago. I don't know how much it weighs but that damn thing is heavy. I think I've moved 4 times with that TV, and almost killed myself every time I moved it by myself (I'm only 5'6" 140lbs). But the picture is still good, so I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:07:33 AM EDT
We bought a new 32" Toshiba a little more than a year ago... The model we bought, had every conceivable option, including the dual tuner PIP... I can certainly say, that the PIP has turned out to be the biggest possible waste of money, since we could have had the exact same features w/o PIP, for a couple of hundred less! If you get the upgrade features for use with a home theater and DVD, make sure to get high quality cables, and go fiber optic if your system allows for it. [*] I should mention that we bought from Rex-TV. Ours was a floor model that was missing the remote, so they dropped $150, doubled the warranty, and gave us a "generic" remote. We contacted the manufacturer and bought a new factory remote for $45. Although a floor model, this particular TV had not even been hooked up, before we boughht it![/*]
Top Top