Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 6:39:39 PM EDT
What a week, Bruce Springsteen has a new album out and Tom Clancey has a book coming out on Monday.  All is right with the world.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
New Clancy book?

Is it another 'Ryan series' one, or one of his sidelines?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ryan series, set in early 1980s prior to Hunt for Red October.  I read in USA Today that the book will be out Monday.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]Ryan series, set in early 1980s prior to Hunt for Red October.[/b]

It's titled [i]Red Rabbit[/i] I beleive. I just ordered it through the Military Book Club, for a discount. [:D] Should have it in a couple of weeks.

WoooHoooo
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ooohh baby!! I'm liking this!! Pre-ordered!!
Clancy is the best!![bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce][bounce]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399148701/qid=1028170204/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-0635893-2615345[/url]

The HAPPY -T.[:P]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Love Clancy, been readin' him for 15 years, but wouldn't piss on Springsteen if he was on fire, the lousy, leftwing f**k. Had the temerity to say he approved of the way the war on terrorism has been handled, that he hadn't expected that from this admin.
Like his boy Bill would have done anything but call for understanding of the Palestinian/arab plight , after a group hug.
(preferably with co-eds).
Plus, his music leaves me cold, and he moves on stage like a monkey f**king a football.
You may conclude that I am not a fan. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been listening to the new Springsteen CD all weekend.  It is definately his best stuff in years.  The new Clancy book looks great.  Someone will have to post a review.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Clancy! Thats great!  I've been asking at Barnes and Noble at least once a month for the past year but nobody would tell me anything. Would't you know we would get the info off this site first.  thanks JB
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Springsteen hasn't found a liberal yet that he hasn't loved. I hope he dies of Aids.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I can understand Clancy, though I think he's handed off too much of the writing to collaborators lately.

But I don't think Springsteen ever really learned how to carry a tune, and I can't understand his popularity.  OK, I like "Glory Days" or whatever it's called.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Clancy talks condescendingly about arrogant people, but man is he ever one himself. If you don't get that impression from watching an interview (call-in especially) then you must really be a hardcore fan.

Another (frustrating) negative character trait is his "I don't give a damn" attitude about what Hollyweird does with his work, after they pay him. Obviously he isn't very particular about protecting his artistic property - just show him the money!

Naturally most authors take a protective proprietary interest in their work. One can understand why many newly successful authors will let the studios take their books and do with them what they will; but there is no acceptable explanation when you reach the level he has. Sad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Springsteen hasn''t found a liberal yet that he hasn''t loved. I hope he dies of Aids.
View Quote

And they reciprocate. Why do you think Nightline and CNN were fawning all over him?

He hasn't put out anything I've been interested in for about two decades.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The should change that liberal idiots name from "The Boss" to "The Jackass"
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Could someone please point anything "liberal" he has done?  I have seen several recent interviews and he hasn't said anything remotely political.  WTF does his music have do with his politics?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Could someone please point anything "liberal" he has done?  I have seen several recent interviews and he hasn't said anything remotely political.  WTF does his music have do with his politics?
View Quote

He has always been political, as have his songs been as well.  He's done concerts against nuclear power, Amnesty International, as well as the usual bleeding heart causes. And yes, it comes across in his interviews as well. Left-wing periodicals have always loved to interview him.

Now, that's all fine and dandy, but just don't go saying he's not political! Please!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
His "American Skin (41 Shots)" was probably the most dissected and [red]politically divisive song of 2000[/red] and [u]it returned the Amadou Diallo tragedy to the forefront[/u] of national news shows and editorial columns.
View Quote

His take on the shooting pissed off a lot of NYC cops IIRC. Considering the job cops have done protecting him in his personal life (as bodyguards) I don't think the blanket accusations he made were well taken by them.

Doubletakemagazine: Do you think you've extended your audience to include some of the kinds of people that you're writing about now: Mexican immigrants, homeless people? Do you feel that you're doing something for those people with your music?

Bruce: There's a difference between an emotional connection with them, like I think I do have, and a more physical, tangible impact. There was a point in the mid-eighties where I wanted to turn my music into some kind of activity and action, so that there was a practical impact on the communities that I passed through while I traveled around the country. On this last tour, I would meet a lot of the people who are out there on the front line-[u]activists, legal advocates, social workers[/u]-and the people that they're involved with. It varied from town to town, but we'd usually work with an organization that's providing immediate care for people in distress, [u]and then also we'd find an organization that's trying to have some impact on local policy[/u]. It helped me get a sense of what was going on in those towns, [u]and the circumstances that surround the people that I'm imagining in my songs, in the imagined community I create with my music[/u].

I'm sure I've gotten a lot more out of my music than I've put in, but those meetings and conversations keep me connected so that I remember the actual people that I write about. But I wouldn't call myself an activist. I'm more of a concerned citizen. I think I'd say that I'm up to my knees in it, but I'm not up to my ass!
View Quote

Trust me, he's an activist. There's a reason many democrats have launched a campaign to draft him to run for the senate in NJ, and it isn't because he's apolitical.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Fair enough...I asked for some sources and got them.  I guess I don't read enough interviews of celebs.  For the most part, I really don't value their political opinions.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
No problem, Fian. It's just that I can't relate to his music anymore. I still like his old stuff, and in fairness I haven't heard the new album.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top