Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 4:05:56 PM EDT
Saw a thread running a poll on banning.  I belong to Fifty Caliber Shooters Assoc.  I don't have one yet, but I've got a Barrett 99 Bigshot in layaway.

Any ideas or facts on when the govt may place a ban on future sales?  I'll get it out asap, but $3K is a bunch of mobney and will take me a little while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There isnt one. Its just people speculating, for now....

But when they do.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MABpDNAQApw3jUBxcoxJKvpHdGL63Ran6wIWU2z*Pcb97rWjHd2q3Yu12ih3x3M1f0bgb9CRty50AHAAOgAvAA/rooftops.jpg[/img]

My line in the sand is drawn.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
TheFNG,

What's the translation for the hat? (if repeatable, haha)

What Leupold do you have?  I need to get one for my Barrett?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There isnt one. Its just people speculating, for now....
View Quote

[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:S.505:[/url]
Doesn't look like speculation to me...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Hy FGN where do I get some t-shirts like that I love it
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
From a letter I just received from the NRA:

S. 505 Introduced by Senators Dianne Feinstein(D-CA), Charles Schumer(D-NY), and Ted Kennedy(D-MA) to ban .50 caliber rifles.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Molon Labe: Come and get it.

It is greek, the motto of the 300 spartans during their stand against the horde of Xerxes,  the Persian emperor. They held against 100,000 foes for several days at the pass, at Thermopylae. They were killed, except for one, whe a greek farmer told the Persians of a goat trail they could use to flank the spartans.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my Ferret .50 today. I agree with the FNG.... nice pic btw.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Expect a serious .50 ban effort in DC if there is a successful effort that reinstates the AW ban in '04.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Military Sniper Weapon Regulation Act of 2001 (Introduced in Senate)

S 505 IS

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 505
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to regulate certain 50 caliber sniper weapons in the same manner as machine guns and other firearms and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

March 9, 2001
Mrs. FEINSTEIN (for herself, Mr. SCHUMER, and Mr. KENNEDY) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to regulate certain 50 caliber sniper weapons in the same manner as machine guns and other firearms and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Military Sniper Weapon Regulation Act of 2001'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds that--

(1) certain firearms originally designed and built for use as long-range 50 caliber military sniper weapons are increasingly sold in the domestic civilian market;

(2) the intended use of these long-range firearms, and an increasing number of models derived directly from them, is the taking of human life and the destruction of materiel, including armored vehicles and such components of the national critical infrastructure as radars and microwave transmission devices;

(3) these firearms are neither designed nor used in any significant number for legitimate sporting or hunting purposes and are clearly distinguishable from rifles intended for sporting and hunting use;
(continued)

(
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
(4) extraordinarily destructive ammunition for these weapons, including armor-piercing and armor-piercing incendiary ammunition, is freely sold in interstate commerce; and

(5) the virtually unrestricted availability of these firearms and ammunition, given the uses intended in their design and manufacture, present a serious and substantial threat to the national security.

SEC. 3. COVERAGE OF 50 CALIBER SNIPER WEAPONS UNDER NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (defining firearm) is amended by striking `(6) a machine gun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device.' and inserting `(6) a 50 caliber sniper weapon; (7) a machine gun; (8) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (9) a destructive device.'

(b) 50 CALIBER SNIPER WEAPON-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by redesignating subsections (d) through (m) as subsections (e) through (n), respectively, and by inserting after subsection (c) the following new subsection:

`(d) 50 CALIBER SNIPER WEAPON- The term `50 caliber sniper weapon' means a rifle capable of firing a center-fire cartridge in 50 caliber, .50 BMG caliber, any other variant of 50 caliber, or any metric equivalent of such calibers.'

(2) MODIFICATION TO DEFINITION OF RIFLE- Subsection (c) of section 5845 of such Code is amended by inserting `or from a bipod or other support' after `shoulder'.

(3) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 5811(a) of such Code is amended by striking `section 5845(e)' and inserting `section 5845(f)'.

(c) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

S. 505 Introduced by Senators Dianne Feinstein(D-CA), Charles Schumer(D-NY), and Ted Kennedy(D-MA) to ban .50 caliber rifles.
View Quote

Those three numbskulls create bill after bill to ban the 50's.  I believe they never get out of commitees but they keep trying. IMHO, Eventually something bad will happen and the bill will pass.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But when they do.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MABpDNAQApw3jUBxcoxJKvpHdGL63Ran6wIWU2z*Pcb97rWjHd2q3Yu12ih3x3M1f0bgb9CRty50AHAAOgAvAA/rooftops.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Where'd you get that?

I think I need that shirt.

I think I need a .50 BMG rifle too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they need to actually see a .50 BMG round up close and personal before they make judgements. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone needs a .50BMG if it makes those three liberal ninnies wet their pants some more.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
the shirts can be found here

[url]http://www.serbu.com/bfg50shirts.htm[/url]

nm they used to be on there
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Those three numbskulls create bill after bill to ban the 50's.  I believe they never get out of commitees but they keep trying. IMHO, Eventually something bad will happen and the bill will pass.

View Quote

What they've been waiting on is a DemocRAT controlled congress to ram this through. After November, they just might have it. Sadly, there is a drought going on, and the tree of liberty is begining to wither.

Edited to point out that this bill would clasify your .50 AE Tromix upper, your .50 Beowolf rifle, and your .50 caliber black powder rifles as sniper weapons, capable of mass destruction at very long ranges.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think I need a .50 BMG rifle too.
View Quote

Just got mine today, want one?

[url]http://ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/liberty86%2FFerret9%2EJPG[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top