Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 2:34:56 PM EDT
Just spent three days in the city. Saw Ground Zero (got lots of pictures). went to McSorlies for a couple of pints, waved at every cop near China Town (hoping to find WaveRunner..even asked a cop and he looked at me like I had three horns). Took a 10:00PM ferry ride from Pier 11 to Hoboken. Great lit view of the Island and a full view of the Brooklyn Bridge. Yes, our lady of liberty was swell as well. I really should get out more!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You gonna post some of these pics? Sounds like a nice trip[:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a great trip. Bout seven hours driving one way, but worth it all. I covered on foot a lot from 34th down to ground zero. Saw a free open air concert near pier 11. It was near the water and had draft beer for three bucks a pint.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Argon,

Why didn't you let us know ahead of time you were going to be our my neck of the woods? Unless, of course, you mentioned it and I missed it. Btwn Wave, myself, and a few other Ar15'ers we would have been more than happy to show you around.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a very quick move. Our daughter is looking at FIT (Fashion Institute Tech) and we needed to talk with them. Nice school and around23rd or so. I would have loved to see you guys. We may need to go back with her portfolio later, we'lle all make it a date. I saw rescue (fire) at the concert. Some call that brought fire and police. You guys have a great town!! Each area seemed like a close knit neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
ARgon, did you carry while in the city?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doh!..[:O] Big No No!
One of Wave's 40,000+ counterparts would take a BIG interest in you if you did that....
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Doh!..[:O] Big No No!
One of Wave's 40,000+ counterparts would take a BIG interest in you if you did that....
View Quote

More like 25,000+ counterparts. Everyone is leaving for better paying Departments(PAPD) or retireing because of all that "Ground Zero" overtime, if we don't get a [b]great[/b] contract(and a nice freakin' retro-active paycheck, 2 years W/O a contract?!?!?) we'll see how fast the crime wave kicks in...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]
... A cool place indeed. I feel naked there w/o an active CCW. Shame on you NY.

... I went back in in April, while there I was able to bribe a truck driver into riding into the WTC pit while he picked up a load of rubbish. It was emotional to say the least to be inside looking out. Took some photos too.

... I need to make a follow-up trip in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll find some free time to spend downtown again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I drove in from here,and yes did carry while in the car. On arrival I secured it and carried a (of all things) Swiss Army knife. Tried to make it rather benign, and caried it on my belt. We carry here all the time, so I felt really lite on one side without the 45. I knew Waverunner would protect, and if crap hit the fan, ChrisLe would patch me up! Never felt a need to be armed, does that mean I missed some great places?!?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, Manhattan is one thing as for the other buroughs...may I suggest Long Island next time?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, Manhattan is one thing as for the other buroughs...may I suggest Long Island next time?
View Quote

I was on the pier11 ferry and had a great shot of the Brooklyn bridge at night. I just learned that is Long Island. Really pretty sight at night (and day). Are you in Manhattan?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I was on the pier11 ferry and had a great shot of the Brooklyn bridge at night. I just learned that is Long Island. Really pretty sight at night (and day). Are you in Manhattan?
View Quote

You're right, Brooklyn(Kings County) and Queens County are geographically a part of Long Island but are considered "the city", when a Noo Yawker sez Long Island they usually mean Nassau County and Suffolk County. I work in Manhattan but live out on Lawng Eyeland.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Wave, I hear they still have deer to hunt out there!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wave, I hear they still have deer to hunt out there!
View Quote

Yup. Plenty out east...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
How difficult would it be for me to hunt there?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know, maybe some of the other NY'ers can help out with that one. I'd like to try it myself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got to be back down fall of '03 with my daughter. I can bring the rifles and ammo. Shit it would be great to tell friends I hunted an Island off New York!   [bounce]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
You should have taken the hour drive out to a long island beach.  You probably would have picked up and moved here in a second just to be close to them.  When you come in again, try Robert Moses State Park Field 2, that's where all the hotties go.  

Brooklyn part of Long Island? HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You always know when a Brooklynite moves into your neighborhood when they erect the 10' fence and pave over their front yard.  Then you see them stand around on the new HUGE porch in the front wondering why the rest of the hood isn't doing the same.  *They're hiding in their house from the horror of the fence and concrete!

City people are amusing, its truly a mindset, not merely a location in which you live!

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You always know when a Brooklynite moves into your neighborhood when they erect the 10' fence and pave over their front yard.  Then you see them stand around on the new HUGE porch in the front wondering why the rest of the hood isn't doing the same.  *They're hiding in their house from the horror of the fence and concrete!...

View Quote

LMAO on that one!   [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like you had a good trip.  I'm going to NYC Aug 16th-19th for the first time.  I'm looking forward to it.  Except for the damn plane ride.  

Did I mention I'm petrified of planes.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top