Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:55:02 PM EDT
One guy makes the grade shooting 1-handed with a cast on the other arm.

EDIT:

Youtube up: "debunking the police qualification myth"

Don't know why it will not embed.

Link to non-YT site (thanks GurkaDin):

Hotlink here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You still fail.  Put it up in plain text so the editor doesn't kill the hyphens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You still fail.  Put it up in plain text so the editor doesn't kill the hyphens.

http://www.the-minuteman.org/2012/09/21/police-qualification-standards-debunking-the-myth/
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEc2––6Lc4

Still nothing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still nothing.

Tried every reiteration of trying to get the link to copy over correctly. No luck. YT search "debunking the police qualification myth".
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
ugh ima window licker
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not understanding the big deal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still nothing.

Tried every reiteration of trying to get the link to copy over correctly. No luck. YT search "debunking the police qualification myth".

Still nothing.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
nice ND at 2:19
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Here be a linky

EDIT: LINK WORKS, FINALLY
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]

The hyphens change when its submitted.. no worky
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Fixed my link, arfcom does something weird where it auto corrects - - to a long dash. *shrug*
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm guessing he's trying to debunk  the whole only one professional enough bullshit

sure cops and most shooters know most cops don't shoot spectacularly but he is preaching to the choir here

used to have a local FTO bring his trainees to local IPSC night for a dose of humble pie from a old lady or a teenage girl

On the flip side one of the departments around here told officers if they show up to IPSC or IDPA they will either win or not show up because it undermines

command presence or some shit like that

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Didn't work.

The link will always be fubared here because it happens to have a double dash in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEc2xx6Lc4

copy this and replace the 'xx' with 'dash dash'
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Why do 90% of the people who make youtube videos involving guns have to have unusual choices in hair style and dress.

Don't wear sunglasses or hats when talking to the camera, especially big sunglasses and Australian cowboy hats. The only thing he was missing was a duster and I bet he owns it.

Is that no-sideburn beard to keep his chin warm?

At least he's well spoken. Dude is dressed for radio interviews.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing he's trying to debunk the whole only one professional enough bullshit

sure cops and most shooters know most cops don't shoot spectacularly but he is preaching to the choir here

used to have a local FTO bring his trainees to local IPSC night for a dose of humble pie from a old lady or a teenage girl

On the flip side one of the departments around here told officers if they show up to IPSC or IDPA they will either win or not show up because it undermines

command presence or some shit like that

Preaching to the choir. Exactly.

And while we need cops getting more practice, not less, it's also not (nor should it be) the top priority.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Why do 90% of the people who make youtube videos involving guns have to have unusual choices in hair style and dress.

Don't wear sunglasses or hats when talking to the camera, especially big sunglasses and Australian cowboy hats. The only thing he was missing was a duster and I bet he owns it.

Don't hang out at gun shops or gun shows do you? LOL

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Liberals have dirty stinky hippies and we have neck beards and dusters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree and I honestly don't get it

many times  the "activist" type of gun owner are some strange fuckers and counterproductive

This summer I did a short interview for OLN at a match

producer said thank god you are well spoken and not fucking weird

It was a zombie match though so I was dressed as Sean Of The Dead  

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree and I honestly don't get it

many times the "activist" type of gun owner are some strange fuckers and counterproductive

This summer I did a short interview for OLN at a match

producer said thank god you are well spoken and not fucking weird

It was a zombie match though so I was dressed as Sean Of The Dead

I despair when I go to our local gun show.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And while we need cops getting more practice, not less, it's also not (nor should it be) the top priority.

Agree but the lies about police's jedi like shooting ability from their 40 hr course fed from media , police admin and non gun types gets fucking old

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree but the lies about police's jedi like shooting ability from their 40 hr course fed from media , police admin and non gun types gets fucking old

I well understand your point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Fucking fashion police.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Most cops cant shoot for shit.  And *I* am a cop!!

I have been a firearms instructor for years.  It's pathetic.  Seriously.....pathetic.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]
What a fucking drama queen.

Try doing it over again with a duty holster duty belt and body armor like a LEO.

They act like a police qualification course is suppose to be the pinnacle of marksmanship.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Try doing it over again with a duty holster duty belt and body armor like a LEO.

They act like a police qualification course is suppose to be the pinnacle of marksmanship.

Meh I shoot IPSC with a level 2 Safariland 295 shit ain't hard

They are not saying that its some pinnacle of shooting

media , police admin and anti gun fucktards say it is

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have been a firearms instructor for years.  It's pathetic.  Seriously.....pathetic.

Carry on.

I agree...and I'm NOT a cop!

Seriously. The cops I know who do practice tend to practice hard and shoot well.  A lot of cops have a basic knowledge of their particular weapon at best. When I shoot the 25 yard pistol range next to a cop who is shooting at 3 or 5 yards and I get better groups in a quicker time, well, that seems funny.

Or maybe I'm just that awesome?

eta I mean I am a Firefighter after all.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm about to get back into USPSA, since it's cooling off now. We have monthly local matches, and I'm going to try to run it with all my duty gear. If I'm competitive with my level III holster and body armor, I'll be pretty damn happy.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A local sheriff's department change their qual course last year.  Added more rounds, pivoting targets and 100% hits.  Compared to the previous qual course, it was harder but by no means impossible.  When it came time for Admin to qual, nobody passed.  New qual course was "modified" to add more time and went to 80% hits on target to pass.    People think cops can't shoot?  Admin shooting is downright scary.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Carry on.

I'm glad it's not just us then, or rather it's a shame it's not just us... In my Dept. I am considered a good shot with all weapons. At shooting club level, I'm pretty average.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry on.

I agree...and I'm NOT a cop!

Seriously. The cops I know who do practice tend to practice hard and shoot well.  A lot of cops have a basic knowledge of their particular weapon at best. When I shoot the 25 yard pistol range next to a cop who is shooting at 3 or 5 yards and I get better groups in a quicker time, well, that seems funny.

Or maybe I'm just that awesome?

eta I mean I am a Firefighter after all.

You guys only work 2 days a week. You have all that time off to go to the range
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A local sheriff's department change their qual course last year.  Added more rounds, pivoting targets and 100% hits.  Compared to the previous qual course, it was harder but by no means impossible.  When it came time for Admin to qual, nobody passed.  New qual course was "modified" to add more time and went to 80% hits on target to pass.    People think cops can't shoot?  Admin shooting is downright scary.  

And the worst ones will never qual with the regular officers. They have their own range day.
can't have the troops laughing at them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Last time I was at the range, I had quite a good time laughing at the college kids shooting 3" patterns at 25 (with a 20" .223 ar), and talking how badass they were.  I shot beeter than they did with my 9mm ar at 100 yards, and they thought I was a pro or something.  But remember this is the internet, and everyone is a badass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I think people forget that the whole point of the exercise was to DEBUNK the myth that the police qual course is some magical faerie-land that only those who wear the magic badge of duty can pass. Most regular shooters can do it easily.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Last time I was at the range, I had quite a good time laughing at the college kids shooting 3" patterns at 25 (with a 20" .223 ar), and talking how badass they were.  I shot beeter than they did with my 9mm ar at 100 yards, and they thought I was a pro or something.  But remember this is the internet, and everyone is a badass.

It was funny going to the range with a bolt action .223, shooting at printed targets that were only 3" in diameter, getting groups smaller than 2 inches (most were under 1") at 100 yards.... with the two yahoos next to me shooting a lever action .30-30 barely keeping it on a target with an 18" circle.  They were patting each other on the back about how 'dead-on' they were.  I pulled off one of my targets, held it up in their direction and voiced my lamentation about my 1.5" 5 shot group.  They shut up quick.   It was funny.  

But in line with the OP, it takes interest and practice to become proficient with a weapon.  A lot of cops don't have an interest in doing that.  In that way, many are just like non-LEO people.  For every one of us that likes to shoot, and does it, there are many who do not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#39]
There are shooters, and their are gun owners/users.

Most cops aren't shooters.

Most gun owners aren't shooters.

In fact, the majority of both cops and gun owners, when all the bullshit is stripped away, are borderline incompetent with firearms.

If you treat safe and correct gun manipulation like a religion, actually shoot weekly or at least monthly, and actively try to improve your abilities and seek intruction from those better than you... Be proud. You're one of very, very few shooters in the entire world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are shooters, and their are gun owners/users.

Most cops aren't shooters.

Most gun owners aren't shooters.

In fact, the majority of both cops and gun owners, when all the bullshit is stripped away, are borderline incompetent with firearms.

If you treat safe and correct gun manipulation like a religion, actually shoot weekly or at least monthly, and actively try to improve your abilities and seek intruction from those better than you... Be proud. You're one of very, very few shooters in the entire world.

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the worst ones will never qual with the regular officers. They have their own range day.
can't have the troops laughing at them.

Shoot (pardon the expression). If the admins at my last place shot worse than the Deputies (and I doubt one did, he was a solid gun guy and shot a fair amount on his own, was also overseeing the range program and often expressed a wish for more training time/budget proportion), then I'd be downright scared to have had one on my scenes...
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Considering the ammo budget for practice shoots im surprised most police pass. My brother said he gets like a hundred rounds a year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Considering the ammo budget for practice shoots im surprised most police pass. My brother said he gets like a hundred rounds a year.

Try getting to qualify 2 times a year (every 6 months of course) with 50 rounds of ammo for each qual and no practicing. Basically you have to know how to shoot to qualify when you join the USCG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:05:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Trigger time is really not a massive requirement for peace officers.  The general public has the misconception that because they have sidearms they are somehow shooters.  If shooting really took up that much of their job they would have rifles with them everywhere they went.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:07:18 AM EDT
[#45]
No disrespect to any LEO's, but I have always been under the impression that most LEO's suck at shooting, because they dont shoot enough and the tests are so easy.  I know officers who have never discharged their weapon on duty, and one who never pulled it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I know when I shot USPSA, about every other match an officer from the area would show up in their patrol car and shoot the match in duty gear.   They always got trampled,  Mostly due to slow mag changes, retention mag holders really slowed them down.   Most left after a stage or two.  Many I do believe got humbled a bit.  There where a few regular shooters that where officers too, but they did not show up in a patrol car and did not use duty gear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That's 2.5 times more than I get every year.

Luckily, I supply much more than that on my own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Years and Years ago, I shot in a GSSF match.    A few of the shooters were LEOs (If I recall, they broke it down by Civilian/Law Enforcement and Age)....many of them did very well.   But....that wasn't a 'qualification' course by any means...I'm guessing those LEOs were people that practiced regularly with their firearms (probably well beyond their basic job requirements).

I think I did a thread long ago (probably in the Archives) asking what your local PD required for qualification...got a bunch of responses with first or second hand info....and the requirements generally weren't very strict!

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I know officers who have never discharged their weapon on duty...

That would be the vast and overwhelming majority of LEOs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have.  Do you want a cookie?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top