Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2002 12:32:38 PM EDT
don't really have anything going on in my life right now, no job, no woman, and no kids. just turn 27 and really bored with my life. got to lose about 7% body fat to join. going to take my asfab tomorrow! just not sure if i want to take the jump.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:39:44 PM EDT
Hve you ever considered Piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:40:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:43:41 PM EDT
No offense, but 27 is a little bit old to be thinking about it now (I'm 37, so that's hardly a slam [;)]). If you do sign up, you're in for a BIG change. I'm not talking about fast-roping into a hot objective and taking down targets, I'm talking about [i]lifestyle[/i]. The military mindset (mostly) is a big change for anyone, which is why they prefer to get you young (at 16, if they could). But at 27, you've seen enough of life on your own that will make living your life under somebody else's thumb a little hard to take. If you're bored, carefully evaluate where you are in your current situation, and pick apart the reasons why you're restless. You might just be jumping at something new, and not necessarily what you might need (change of scenery, education, training, new job). However, if you decide to go and sign up, good luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:56:09 PM EDT
Travel to exotic places. See exciting things. Meet strange, new people. And kill them. [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:02:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ProfessorEvil: Hve you ever considered Piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.
View Quote
i dont know why, but this remark just made me laugh.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:03:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By redray:
Originally Posted By ProfessorEvil: Hve you ever considered Piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.
View Quote
i dont know why, but this remark just made me laugh.
View Quote
Of "Princess Bride" fame.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:14:18 PM EDT
If you are doing it to get away from something then don't. But if you want to make the commitment before turning to old and you want to be part of something that you can carry with you to death, go for it. I remember there was this 34 year old guy in basic with us and we all thought he was crazy. I was 18 then and was shortly discharged and sent home for a family emergency with about 1 week to go. Now, looking back I find it ironic that I am now thinking of reenlisting at 32 and that I would be that old guy, especially since I will have to go through basic again. My biggest stopping block is that I would have to leave a very high paying job ( >80k/year ) to go back. I believe the physical requirements are something that anyone can meet given some prep time and a dedication to getting into shape. I'm sitting about 10 pounds over where I would like to be and would need about 6 weeks to get back into good cardio shape though. I talked with an old marine (33) who reenlisted last month. He said the biggest change to his lifestyle was getting back into shape. Good luck with whatever choice you do make.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:31:24 PM EDT
well, when i work i have i job that i love,(hydraulics pipefitter) and that has been keeping from enlisting. now for that last almost 2yrs now it been very slow in the trade, i even had to file chapter 7 last year. if you knew me you'd know that this is probaly what i should do. i consider my self a citizen soldier already and train with a ex-ranger all the time and he is gonna get me squared away if i decide to join. I'm just not sure, i'll see how the testing goes and see if i can do what i want and go from there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:45:48 PM EDT
dammit you only live once, go for it. what mos (job) are you thinkin about? personally I think it makes more sense than enlisting at 17 like I am some (my self included) are doing. atleast you have been out in the world for a while and had some experience, and you still decide to join the military. personally I find that pretty admirable. I know no one expects basic to be a cake walk (atleast not the sain ones) but you should have a better Idea of life trials and tribulations than a 17 year old so it might even be a little easier for you. besides most 17 year olds that go in are still living with they're parents and family and really start to feel home sick for the first time in there lives in basic, and I imagine that you don't still live with your parents so again it might be a little easir. I say go for it. ps. see he's even showing the maturity needed in the military, he chose the right branch of service after all [:D] hooah
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:57:06 PM EDT
There will be a lot of fighting in the next few years. If you enlist today you should plan on ending up in some shit hole with a bunch of people trying to kill you. Then you can pray the politicians in charge have the decency to send in enough tanks and air power to keep you covered. You might even end up on some peace keeping mission reporting up to the UN… -Mark (Ex Army Combat Engineer)L32
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:03:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:53:05 PM EDT
View Quote
LOL!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:04:19 PM EDT
Do it. There is one guy I know that never went in, and when a bunch of us get together, he always remarks that he wished he had enlisted. He is 47 now. Is 28 the cutoff?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:08:28 PM EDT
35 is the cut off!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:12:54 PM EDT
I'd at least consider other branches of hte service. I've been in the Air Force for almost 10 years and I can't tell you how many Army soldiers have come up to me and said they wished they'd joined the Air Force. It just depends on what you'd like to do for a job. Air Force tends to be treated much better (housing, meals, etc) but you may not have as much of a chance to use your M16. :) Good Luck and thank you for your service if you decide to join any branch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:17:22 PM EDT
Me thinking of joining too, my job blows, cannot decide on what to study as far as school goes and I am 30 years old and still wonder if I should have joined at 17, man I am a pussy... I think people who give up their lives for the time being to serve our Country are every day heroes... Though my job really sucks, dead end, I have 2 little girls and a beautiful girl friend..Sounds like I need to pull my head out of my arse and appreciate what I have and not what could have been. Luv my Bushy Luv my Sig 226 And I confess I caress both every night before bed....It is great to be alive. 7point62 join up, you have no responsibilities holding you back, don't be like me, go do it and tell us all about it 1 year from your first day at Boot Camp, I for one would be very interested in your story...Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:30:58 PM EDT
I did 4 in the Navy and the last 16 in the Army. The Navy has pipe fitters. The air force treats you nicer but the promotions are faster in the army. If you do 20 there is a big difference between E6 retired pay and E8 retired pay. Go for it. John
Top Top