Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 5:16:37 AM EDT
Has anyone ever bought a used weapon, either from a dealer or a private individual, and thought that person kept his guns clean enough?  It seems like when you get them home and strip them down, you always find all kinds of  crap.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't sleep well if I know mine aren't as clean as they could be.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I once bought a used pistol that was clean. Really.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Most people just do not care.  I sold a Ruger 10/22 to a friend 5 years ago.  I was visiting him a couple of weekends ago and was looking at his guns and the gun I sold him was rusted and well I was sick.  You clean your gun for the same reason you change the oil in your car.  These people sickin me...  I have never bought a gun that I felt was cleaned to my liking...  
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I realy believe it's a more an issue of assuming possession.  Knowing that another person had fondeled and caressed your new loved one just gives me an uneasy fealing, kind of like, will the firearm be thinking of them when I'm pulling the trigger?  Will they mistakenly call out their name instead of mine at the range when it's all hot and sweaty during rapid fire?  Will they ever realy forget their past and be truely mine?

You have to scrub away every part of their past that you can.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
[:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a used gun from Aim (s&w 5906, I know)
and it was spotless. Like new.  I also bought one of the FN High Powers from them later and it was just plain filthy.  I keep my guns [b]clean[/b] and lubricated.  Maybe a little to oily for some peoples taste, just my personal preference.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in KY it's amazing that any body hunts or target practices!!!! I bought a new gun yesterday and spent 3 hours cleaning it last night. I still have to order several taper pins and a front sight just to repair crap that the previous owner broke.  Who would sell a gun with parts missing and broken?!
Tim
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer to buy dirty guns because I know they work. That NIB shit just don't cut it with me.

I am a shooter and not some anal retentive person who sees a spec of dirt as evil.

Guns get more wear/damage by improper disassembly and cleaning than they do by use.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
How about the "NIB" guns. Everyone I've gotten from various manufacturers lately had dirty bore at least. Guess they cut costs and fired the guys who cleaned them after the proof firing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate people selling guns, especially in online auctions, without cleaning the barrels. Many times I've seen things like "Bore dusty, might clean out to excellent."

Well, gee whiz, you're trying to sell it, I suppose it's asking too much for you to run one stinking patch through the thing and then look through it and tell me what you see. Something sure smells fishy!
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent point Fuzzbean. I always pass them up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#12]
No biggie if a weapon needs cleaning. It gives me something to do when I get home. [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, Milldude? Well how do you feel when you've scrubbed the bore and when it's all cleaned up, bore has more pits and craters than Rosie O'Donnells thighs? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey oldeschool how do you know what Rosie O'D's thighs look like??
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Gag!

paspecops I was eating a sandwich....man that was wrong just wrong...

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
This may not be "on topic", but in the last year I have bought two used 1911's that had broken parts.  One was a Essex that had a cracked barrel bushing, and the other one was a Auto-Ord, that had a broken extractor.  Both were bought from a local gun shop.  I got excellent deals on them, so I never brought it to the dealers attention.  

It wasn't a big deal to me, as I have an amble stock of 1911 parts in my shop.  But for the customer that has this one and only gun, and has no gun smithing experience, this would be a great let-down!!  

What I do not understand is why don't dealers strip, inspect, and clean each used gun they have in their inventory??  I would think selling a defective gun would be a serious liability??  You may say that this takes time, but alot of the times that I go into a gun shop, the keeper is either watching TV or reading the newspaper.  I suppose that the ball game carries more importance, than a clean functional product.  

An other rant is why can't dealers keep the magazines with the gun?  Have you ever bought a gun, with a sale tag that said "W/ 2 XTRA MAGS" and the dealer spends the next 40 minutes looking for them??  Same with boxes.  I have gone back three times to one shop to retieve the box.  I wouldn't of cared, but it was a new shotgun and wanted the manual, and chokes for it.

I would equate looking at a unclean gun at a gunshop to going to a car lot to find the cars ashtray full and McDonalds bags stuffed under the seat.  

OSA
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#17]
My guns are so clean that you can eat off them if that were possible. I like a clean gun!!! I have bought used firearms in the past and you can get good deals. Take advantage of that. The people who don't clean their guns are the people who just shoot them a couple of times a year. Most of those dirty guns are in mint condition under all the crud. First thing I do after I buy a new or used firearm is inspect it and give it a cleaning if needed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Shops around here that clean and test fire used guns, or else sell as is,usually test fire only. these usually demand high prices. other places "look" em` over (smaller shops usually know the customer" and pretty much sell "as is". you should be somewhat literate about what you`re looking at. i always take a bore light with me. and if i get used, it comes apart for thorough inspection and cleaning (sometimes modification) right away. if someone does`nt know that much, or care to, then it`s up to the shop`s integrety as to repair etc. most are good...some are not...[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
NO [V]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey oldeschool how do you know what Rosie O'D's thighs look like??
View Quote

I have a vivid imagination.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
The only clean used gun (of many) that I have bought was an upper I bought from Amish Bill here on this forum. The worst was a .40 cal Oly upper that was so badly lead fouled that I spent at least 25 hrs cleaning it. Somewhere in between was the new Armalite .243 upper that I soaked for 16 hrs with Butch's Bore shine, brushed and brushed, used Sweet's twice, and still never got what I consider to be a clean patch out of.( this one went back to Armalite)
If you see a weapon for sale under my name, you can count on it being clean, because I hate buying dirty guns, and won't sell them that way!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I work on quite a few firearms,so when someone brings me a gun to fix,I will clean it first,then see if it will function.You want nasty,roaches,bugs of every type,rocks,bobby pins,you name it,I have seen it.
 Now a few years ago,I won a S&W 627 P.C.(a 8 shot 357)brand new,you could not pull the trigger in double action mode.When I got it home,and took it apart,it was full of fine glass from where they glass beaded it?????It shoots fine now,but you figure for a $1200 pistol,they would atleast clean it,or even take it apart to do the touch up before it left the factory
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My first thought would be, "Do I want one that hasn't been taken care of?"

If you're really interested and it's not clean, why not see if you can pay for cleaning at smith of your choice and inspection before buying it?  Not sure what they would charge, but it could be money well spent.  Have to take the value of the arm into consideration, though.
[red][size=4]P.R.K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top