Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/15/2012 7:04:44 PM EDT
Words of wisdom to follow when approached by a panhandler in a parking lot, grocery store or gas station.
How can you discern if they are panhandling or not? Questions to ask? Most seem to have a legitimate story. How to get down to the nitty gritty and find out if they are lying or not?

How can you take their story apart and eliminate their BS?

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Point.  Sternly tell them NO, say you don't want any trouble and tell them to stay the fuck away from you.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
They're lying. It's that simple. If you don't believe me, go to a place where people like to accost customers and get money from them with sob stories. Watch as they repeat the same sob story over and over again, always needing five bucks for gas or something to eat, yet never managing to go buy some gas or get something to eat. If you stick around long enough, you'll see them go to the liquor store.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Who cares?  Avoid all contact.  If approached say "NO" and continue on your way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Why waste time trying to uncover their bullshit?  I would say 99.98% is bull, granted I am jaded.....

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Read the street robbery thread.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
draw down on them while screaming "touch the monkey"

soon, you will have no problems with panhandlers
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
No...then turn away.

If you do have the time and are concerned, go by your local Salvation Army and grab a few of their business cards. When the Panhandler approaches, hand them a card and tell them this will help them.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Words of wisdom to follow when approached by a panhandler in a parking lot, grocery store or gas station.
How can you discern if they are panhandling or not? Questions to ask? Most seem to have a legitimate story. How to get down to the nitty gritty and find out if they are lying or not?

To what end?

If you want to help, find a legitimate charity and contribute. If you want to be able to offer help in the acute, have some cards printed up with the locations of the local shelters, food kitchens & pantries. If you really feel the need to help one on one, offer to go to the nearest fast food joint with them and buy them a meal.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
There are people out there who genuinely need help. I would just like to be able to discern who is genuine & who is making a profession at bilking innocent people for money.

If I had a 6th sense for scammers, I would be so far ahead of the game that it would be laughable watching the jokers go away disgusted that I had torn apart their story so bad, they would consider another "legal" profession.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Piss on their leg and then say NO.

Problem Solved.  Problem Staying Solved.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
If they use the "I'm hungry" line - I usually offer to buy them a sandwich or something of the like.  Most of the time - they turn it down and want money instead.  Strange, I thought food was the cure for hunger.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are people out there who genuinely need help. I would just like to be able to discern who is genuine & who is making a profession at bilking innocent people for money.

If I had a 6th sense for scammers, I would be so far ahead of the game that it would be laughable watching the jokers go away disgusted that I had torn apart their story so bad, they would consider another "legal" profession.

you're a patsy if you think you're detecting anything than a better bullshit line
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If they use the "I'm hungry" line - I usually offer to buy them a sandwich or something of the like.  Most of the time - they turn it down and want money instead.  Strange, I thought food was the cure for hunger.  

My grandpa told me once he did just what you posted. Grandpa would offer to take them to the nearest cafe and buy them food. In all the years he said only one person ever took him up on the offer.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A lot of violent street crimes start out with exactly that sort of distraction. Getting sucked into a conversation on the street with a stranger who wants your cash is a bad idea.

There are people who need help. But i imagine your resources are finite Every couple of months, I go to wally world and pick up a few cases of tuna, peanut butter, etc & take it over to the Grace Episcopal food pantry, or call the free meal program run by the catholic multicultural center, ask them what they need and get it for them.

I'm a Paramedic and I adjudicate SSI disability cases, often working with the homeless, quasi-homeless and drug addicts in this area. I don't interact with pan-handlers, and I never give strangers on the street money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
When some stranger asks you for money in a parking lot, the answer is "NO."

The "NO" is spoken firmly.

That is the end of the fucking discussion.

See how that works?

Also, beware of "the interview" from a possible mugger, and keep your threat scan on high.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I just ran out of gas right down the street and need a few bucks. Help?

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in Walmart middle of the day about a month ago when a really fat white woman rolls up to me in one of the stores electric carts and hands me a ratty looking print out that said something like "deaf and hungry please give $5" or something similar. Something seemed off about her so I just handed it back and walked away. On the way out of the store there she is standing at the curb when a pretty nice looking truck pulls up and the driver yells out the window "how'd ya do?". She holds up and shakes her begging cup and says something like "only ten fucking dollars". Fuck I hate people.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
2 options, head them off at the pass and ask them for some change.

option 2, yell out "I already gave in your sister" and laugh.  

Either way is a win with me...
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't allow them to engage you in conversation or corner you and just keep walking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Point. Sternly tell them NO, say you don't want any trouble and tell them to stay the fuck away from you.

Problem solved.

Preferably from 30ft or more.

You can always tell their target stare, engage them before they engage you.

They will get pissed and call you rude.  I reply "Yes, I'm a rude motherfucker, now leave me alone."

ALWAYS call the police and report them.  You might save someone from getting mugged.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No...then turn away.

If you do have the time and are concerned, go by your local Salvation Army and grab a few of their business cards. When the Panhandler approaches, hand them a card and tell them this will help them.

Bad idea.  Maintain eye contact until THEY turn away.  Retreat back to the store and call police if they do not back off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don't need a sixth sense for scammers. The five you've already got work just fine, especially your hearing. When someone runs up to you in a parking and lot and asks for money, he is a bum. Everything he says about why he needs the money is a lie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyone soliciting you for money or handouts is a scammer and is lying to you.

Easy enough?  I thought so

Want to help?  Donate or volunteer with reputable organizations.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't worry folks, Darwin will handle this one. Maybe he'll find Jesus before he meets him, maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You have to ask a Cop?  
They say there are no stupid questions, but eh..
I'm sorry, but its pretty sad that you have no judgement or experience from which to draw from.
It's like asking a Lawyer how to change a tire.
fwiw, I've been accosted many times, and all you have to say is "NO".
If you want to, you could always add "Got no cash" or "You Ain't good"  "get a job"  just for kicks, but the simple "NO" is best.    
The average suburbanite is raised to be polite and non threatening, but this actually works to your disadvantage.
Give 'em your best Wolf stare, Blade 45, throw back your jacket, reach back for your CCW and firmly state "You Homie...That my Briefcase?"    

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums / long greasy hair and with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you. Also they were clean shaven and apologetic that they even had to ask for money.  These guys were smooth. Had the gift of gab.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Who talks to strangers on the street?  Victims.  Learn to do the 270º scan walk by.  Don't stop moving, expect an accomplice.  Stay conscious of what their hands are doing.  Move away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you.

You've had twenty people respond to your question, with nary a one offering advice as to how to interrogate panhandlers in order to figure out if they're scamming you. Rather, the idea that doing so isn't a good idea seems to be pretty universal.
Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you.

The in thing these days is to have a "Story" and be well dressed and presentable.  They usually ask for a specific large amount.   Black guy in a suit: "I lost my wallet, may I please have $35.00 for a hotel room"      
Suburban housewife: "Can I have $13.50 to buy some fried chicken?"  
Older lady dressed like a Flight Attendant and dragging a suitcase  "Hi, I wonder if you can spare $38.00 for a hotel"  

Two young women, one cute, one ugly  "Hi, we ran out of gas, can we have $20.00"

I spend a lot of time at hotels and restaurants, and that is where they usually lurk.

No need to ask any questions.  If their lips are moving, they are lying.  
There must be a Hobo website where they learn the scams and the spiels.    
Anyone know what it is?

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't stop, don't break stride. Just keep walking. Say, "Sorry, no cash on me." And keep going. If you stop or hesitate you are going to get the story and put yourself in danger (if there is the potential for any). If they go through the trouble for the story they are going to expect something and will be pissed if they don't get it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#32]
If they enter and obstruct your line of movement, they are a threat.  Do not let them get within arms reach of you.  If they get that close, use force against them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't stop, don't break stride. Just keep walking. Say, "Sorry, no cash on me." And keep going. If you stop or hesitate you are going to get the story and put yourself in danger (if there is the potential for any). If they go through the trouble for the story they are going to expect something and will be pissed if they don't get it.

I've found faking Tourettes to be quite effective. It's worked well for blind dates that weren't going well too. Didn't work as intended with the traffic stop though. Tasers fucking hurt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have told them "get a job you fucking douche". I give my money to the church, the CPOF and the wounded Marine fund.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#35]
You can safely assume they all are scammers.

Yeah, you might be wrong twice in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All of the people I have met looking for money or handouts have been decently dressed and are VERY personable, likable individuals. This is what I have found anyway. None were your average bums / long greasy hair and with alcohol on their breath or slurred speech while they were talking to you. Also they were clean shaven and apologetic that they even had to ask for money.  These guys were smooth. Had the gift of gab.

"No"

"No, sir/ma'am"

"No, sorry"

"Sorry, I can't help you"

There are a few responses you can pick from.  You don't have to be rude to them, but you do need to be firm.  A lot of these folks prey on weenies.

These people will adapt to any area or demographic they're working.  This may mean nicer clothing, but they are still scammers.  Tell them no.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if they are lying are not.  Doesn't matter if their story is legit or not.  No doubt there are isolated areas in America in  which real hunger exists.  But in any sizable city or town, there are churches and soup kitchens that routinely feed people, for free, no questions asked.  But many panhandlers won't bother with those places, because they refuse to abide by the rules of basic civility and/or they just want money to finance their bad habits.  

And there's this: if people are able-bodied enough to panhandle, they are able-bodied enough to offer to work for food.  And by "offer", I don't mean holding up one of those pathetic signs ("Homeless. Will Work For Food.  God Bless").   I mean cleaning up in a gas station restroom, going to the back door of a business and offering politely to sweep the parking lot, take out trash, anything in exchange for a meal.  I've known guys down on their luck to do this, always with good results.

Here in America, you can be very down and out but as long as you are honest and willing to work, there is someone somewhere who will recognize those traits and help you out.   Granted, this won't get you into the middle-class but it will keep you from starving.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Last year there was a guy out front of the grocery store asking for money because he was hungry. I went in bought the food I needed for the shift I was working and bought a few extra sandwiches. I walked outside and the guy was still there. I asked him if he was truely hungry or just looking to get some free money. He told me that he was hungry and wanted to eat. I pulled out my sandwiches and asked him if he wanted chicken salad or roast beef. All he said was naw man im good! Fuck em!

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

True, but they won't approach you in the parking lot asking for money.  If someone is in need of help they'll be a million other places other than trying to lay the bullshit thick on some random stranger in a parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My grandpa told me once he did just what you posted. Grandpa would offer to take them to the nearest cafe and buy them food. In all the years he said only one person ever took him up on the offer.

Ditto, I don't waste a second on panhandlers anymore.  I tried that experiment and it failed miserably.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I have wolf-stared a panhandler into submission with my sunglasses on before he even opened his mouth.  Most day's I just don't acknowledge them, but that day I was pissed off for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#42]
How about when they use their kids???  

I was approached by some cunt with her two kids in a parking lot in a relatively upscale area.  She "needed gas money to get her kids home".

What tipped her hand?  The freshly purchased, icy drinks in their hands.  I told her no.

I saw her at the same store at later dates, taking money from people in the parking lot.

Use the tools you've got, I guess.  The kids were a nice touch...  A lot better and more convincing than a cardboard sign.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They're lying. It's that simple. If you don't believe me, go to a place where people like to accost customers and get money from them with sob stories. Watch as they repeat the same sob story over and over again, always needing five bucks for gas or something to eat, yet never managing to go buy some gas or get something to eat. If you stick around long enough, you'll see them go to the liquor store.

I watched one do that at a Pilot gas station. Hit me up for money and then went in and bought a quart bottle of beer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why waste time trying to uncover their bullshit?  I would say 99.98% is bull, granted I am jaded.....

We all get like that over time. I don`t want to be.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
draw down on them while screaming "touch the monkey"

soon, you will have no problems with panhandlers

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No...then turn away.

That is good advice to follow. I think I will do that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lulz they got you already.

I always figured if my life went to shit I could survive because you would truly surprise somebody when you hugged a guy for a sammich instead of telling him you needed cash.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Piss on their leg and then say NO.

Problem Solved.  Problem Staying Solved.
-SleeperShooter

I will load up on coffee before going out and we will see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#49]
"Get the fuck away from me!" if it's a male.

"sorry honey" usually works for the females..

If I'm really bored, I'll ask them where I can score some brown...

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Had a really insistent one a few months ago. He persisted after I told him "No," and followed me to my car. He finally went away after I gripped my 640 (didn't draw it) in my pants pocket and turned to face him.

OK. That is getting down to the wire. Probably made for an intense situation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top