Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/30/2002 5:38:41 AM EDT
I'm going camping with a bunch of newbies that want to shoot. I was thinking of fabricating an "ell" or a "tee" bracket with a chained plate so they would enjoy a reactive target. I normally use a soda can on a stick. We are going to shoot various pistol calibers,.223 and 7.62 Would stainless be a bad idea (I always have a bunch in stock)? Could a plate on a modified coil work? Any of you have any proven designs that you could recommend? Would a cheapo repair kit and a can of spray paint be a good idea? Thanks in advance. Andy
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:43:40 AM EDT
Used bowling pins. Your local bowl-o-rama prolly has used, slightly damaged pins they'll sell you cheap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:14:04 AM EDT
i often use the biodegradable balloons from the local wal mart. 250 or so for a couple dollars. you can inflate to whatever size you feel appropriate. might want to blow a bunch up before hand and bring them along. also thumbtacks or staple gun are useful for hanging them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:23:49 AM EDT
223 will blow thru 3/8" T1 at 100 yds. You may need to use 3/4" or 1" plate to withstand the impact. Balloons are cheaper, MUCH lighter, and just as much fun..
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:14:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:27:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2002 8:38:45 AM EDT by Gunner1X]
TANNERITE! Not the cheapest way to go, but nothing beats it! [url]http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url] [img]http://www.tannerite.com/blowup_small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:33:37 AM EDT
I use those roadside foam signs on a picket that they use to advertise DSS dishes, housing developments, etc on the side of the road and put shoot-and-see's on them. Balloons works well too. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:38:38 AM EDT
I use plastic bottles of various sizes filled with sand and dirt. If I shoot the day after a tournament, the garbage can beside the lanes is filled with little water bottles that are perfect for this kinda thing. They react visibly, but unless you nail one with something huge, you can get more than one shot at them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:45:28 AM EDT
Tape string to paper plate,use magic marker to put a dot in center. I will send my ex-wife to you she can hold the string in her mouth at any range you like...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:22:50 AM EDT
Well, since my son is now 15 we love to take up his old stuffed animals!! They go boom!! Also, invest in a cheap 4' paper mache purple dinosaur. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:25:54 AM EDT
Get a case of clays.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:30:26 AM EDT
If you're gonna use ballons (excellent) make sure you put a teaspoon of flour or talcum powder in them first. It's WAY more fun than just the pop of a normal balloon. for you farm boys out there, an elastorator is the easiest way to add flour to a balloon. If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it. crash.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:39:10 AM EDT
We took two 10 foot pieces of Rebar and clamped them together in the center forming an "X". Then we just stuck the ends into the ground so that the rebar was bent and stood about 5 feet high in the middle. Then we got some used bowling pins, screwed hooks into the tops of them and hung them from the rebar. Nice swinging targets that will hold up for a while. We also painted them with dayglo orange spray paint to make them more visible at longer ranges. I have also used the small bags of flour as targets. You can usually find the generic brand on sale for about $1 a bag. All you have to clean up is a little paper from the bag. The rest will be eaten by critters.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:26:43 PM EDT
What ever you do, take the big 33 gal garbage bags so you can haul all your trash out. Our local gun club does once a month clean up trips to several spots around here where people from "down there" go plinking. You would not believe the amount of garbage we haul out. Everything from cans to cars. And [b]PLEASE[/B] pick up brass bigger than .22. BTW Andy, if you're going camping anywhere up here off HWY 50 let me know. I can tell you some good places to shoot and also let you borrow a target frame that holds clays.
Top Top