Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/30/2012 4:03:11 PM EDT
Reuters: EXCLUSIVE - FORMER NAVY SEAL IN "MATERIAL BREACH" OF NDA WITH BIN LADEN BOOK - PENTAGON'S TOP ATTORNEY SAYS IN LETTER OBTAINED BY REUTERS

Reuters: PENTAGON SAYS CONSIDERING "ALL REMEDIES LEGALLY AVAILABLE" AGAINST FORMER NAVY SEAL AND ALL THOSE ACTING IN CONCERT WITH HIM

https://twitter.com/Reuters
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IF he really did violate the NDA I dont have a problem with it but, they had better go after the White House as well then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Going after that guy in the public eye is going to backfire in the Pentagon's face.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah c'mon!  Everybody's doin' it!  Even the President.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I see, but White House leaking current and future operations = OK.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Where does the Pentagon stand on the national security leaks coming out of the White House?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Pre-ordered the book on Amazon for my Kindle app, sure hope it shows up on Sep.11th.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Exclusive ? NPR reported this days ago.

No kidding, fuck reuters, I get my news from Arfcom. Couple days ago on this.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
It wouldn't surprise me if the White House was behind this. How likely is it that publication/delivery could be stopped?

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Be interesting to contrast the book with the movie, and see who leaked what, when.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
FBO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How likely is it that publication/delivery could be stopped?

30 years ago zero, these days who knows.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Could make for interesting election season banter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It wouldn't surprise me if the White House was behind this. How likely is it that publication/delivery could be stopped?

Well, thats what what I wanted to find out. Its was well worth the $12.99 just to see what happens. The timing of this is freaking awesome. We shall see.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
(Reuters) - The Pentagon warned on Thursday in a letter to a former U.S. Navy SEAL that he was in material breach of non-disclosure agreements with his book detailing his first-hand account of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters, also said the Pentagon was considering legal action against the SEAL and all those "acting in concert" with him.

"In the judgment of the Department of Defense, you are in material breach and violation of the non-disclosure agreements you signed," the letter by Jeh Johnson, the Pentagon's top lawyer, said. "Further public dissemination of your book will aggravate your breach and violation of your agreements."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/entertainment-us-usa-security-binladen-b-idUSBRE87U00F20120831
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe the Chief is wanting to get press on this to pull the administration in and expose what has been suspected of going on. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure where you get that idea- if anything a break of an NDA and release of classified info was taken more seriously then.

Pentagon Papers, for starters.

The Court really frowns on prior restraint, or at least it did. Now, who knows. They do whatever .gov tells them to do.

ETA:

Also, the .gov has more prosecutions in progress now, than all combined before now. So, no, they take it much more seriously now.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Plus, I hope he offers some insight on who crashed that damm helicopter, I have heard all sorts of rumors from some types that were in the position to know more than I.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to recall there being some books and technical articles with details on nuclear weapons production that were censored or banned in the 60s and 70s. Even though the information was arrived at independently or compiled from other already available sources.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe the Chief is wanting to get press on this to pull the administration in and expose what has been suspected of going on. Just a thought.

SEALS are smart that way aren't they?

CVN
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Now I MUST have the book.

Eta.  Pre ordered  on IBooks
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Nobody is going to take one of the SEALs that popped Bin Laden and put him on trial.

He's got a free pass and he knows it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure where you get that idea- if anything a break of an NDA and release of classified info was taken more seriously then.

The Court really frowns on prior restraint, or at least it did. Now, who knows. They do whatever .gov tells them to do.

Except that the person found in breach couldn't stop it from publication- not really the same case as this.

Right now the person who is in breach can stop publication, and that will at least serve to minimize the damage. That is what they are telling him- "you already fucked up, if this goes further you will have fucked up more."

His NDA still applies, and now he has a choice to make.

The book is already out for review and can be found in bookstores, the 60 minutes interview has been taped, he is not in control of anything anymore. The horses have left the barn.

It will be interesting to see how much his version differs from the other accounts. My guess is not too much.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except that the person found in breach couldn't stop it from publication- not really the same case as this.

Right now the person who is in breach can stop publication, and that will at least serve to minimize the damage. That is what they are telling him- "you already fucked up, if this goes further you will have fucked up more."

His NDA still applies, and now he has a choice to make.

Frankly, I hope he sticks to his guns.

But it's not my life, so I can't really fault him if he decides he wants to salvage the situation.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he hasn't actually broken any agreement at all.  If that's the case, I hope he sticks to his guns AND sues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IF he really did violate the NDA I dont have a problem with it but, they had better go after the White House as well then.

as if the politicians in the Pentagon will ever do that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

All it they have to do is put on the internet for free..........
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
But i thought seal team 6 was shot down and no survivors..
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly once its out its out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But i thought seal team 6 was shot down and no survivors..

SEALs were lost in the shoot down of choppers in A Stan.
But that would have been what? A platoon?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly once its out its out.

hey, he can even say it is ALGORE's responsibility
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

NPR said there was some previous book that was a violation and DOD rounded up all the copies and destroyed them. DOD also issued a "we aren't kidding, we will fuck people up who do this" memo this week. The dopey publisher admits no DOD vetting but they had a "Special Forces Attorney" (lol what?) review the book and he found no violation. Must be a real crackerjack lawyer to not see this mess coming.

Operation Dark Heart

ETA:

I think they purchased all the copies that were printed.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
WASHINGTON (AP) –– The Pentagon's top lawyer has informed the former Navy SEAL who authored a forthcoming book describing details of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden that he violated agreements to not divulge military secrets and that as a result the Pentagon is considering taking legal action against him.

The general counsel of the Defense Department, Jeh Johnson, wrote in a letter transmitted to the author on Thursday that he had signed two nondisclosure agreements with the Navy in 2007 that obliged him to "never divulge" classified information. Johnson said that after reviewing a copy of the book, "No Easy Day," the Pentagon concluded that the author is in "material breach and violation" of the agreements.

Johnson said the department is considering pursuing against him "all remedies legally available to us."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BIN_LADEN_BOOK_PENTAGON?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-30-20-35-47
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
NPR said there was some previous book that was a violation and DOD rounded up all the copies and destroyed them. DOD also issued a "we aren't kidding, we will fuck people up who do this" memo this week. The dopey publisher admits no DOD vetting but they had a "Special Forces Attorney" (lol what?) review the book and he found no violation. Must be a real crackerjack lawyer to not see this mess coming.

What if everything in the book is already in the public domain thanks to white house leaks?  
Maybe the lawyer feels that is the case.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

come on man

you bet your ass they are

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Wanders over to Amazon to pre-order...
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if everything in the book is already in the public domain thanks to white house leaks?  

That is what I was getting at about comparing book to move. If they are fairly close and probably will be, it will be ugly to come down on him.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Where does the Pentagon stand on the national security leaks coming out of the White House?

We are waiting

still waiting

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nobody is going to take one of the SEALs that popped Bin Laden and put him on trial.

He's got a free pass and he knows it.
top secret disclosures is something the GOPSEALS are hitting in ads, this guy has bad timing to have a security breach during the elections. Obama will be glad to make an example out of him to show he's tough on security his hypocrisy.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Um. Pretty hard to stop once it's out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck do I know? Did this SEAL shoplift a beer from a minimart or slip on a banana peel in the grocery store? I got my limits

Oh come on!!! Mr chief justice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I was getting at about comparing book to move. If they are fairly close and probably will be, it will be ugly to come down on him.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Ironic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top