BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I did.

I moved to another state and a new job, in part, to be done with that shit...
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Life is too short and dangerous to waste two hours a day on the road.

We had a fool that was driving two hours each way ... when the traffic (in Los Angeles ) was good. Another drives over an hour - he automatically takes the day off when it rains.

There are more important things in life than money and stuff.

I work four miles away from my home.

Life's even shorter being broke and in the streets. Sure wish I was as independently wealthy as you were to be able to see things that way.

Can your pride explain what's more important than having "stuff" like a roof over my head, food, transportation, and putting myself through college?

It isn't about being independently wealthy but deciding that other things are more important than money.  See my post above, only one job now.  Yeah, I'll be making less money but what's the point of money if it just makes you unhappy?  What's life without a little time to lay on your ass?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in SoCal, that's the average commute.  God forbid there is a traffic accident on the 57fwy, it will take you 3+ hours to get to work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
They fucked up the light up the road, so now it takes me about 8 minutes instead of 7 to get to work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a fool that was driving two hours each way ... when the traffic (in Los Angeles ) was good. Another drives over an hour - he automatically takes the day off when it rains.

Life's even shorter being broke and in the streets. Sure wish I was as independently wealthy as you were to be able to see things that way.

Can your pride explain what's more important than having "stuff" like a roof over my head, food, transportation, and putting myself through college?

Move closer to work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Then my commute to college is much longer. And before you say it, there aren't any schools near where I work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't about being independently wealthy but deciding that other things are more important than money.  See my post above, only one job now.  Yeah, I'll be making less money but what's the point of money if it just makes you unhappy?  What's life without a little time to lay on your ass?

I know my situation isn't what you're referring to. It's temporary until I'm done with school. I wouldn't be dealing with this if it weren't for school. Afterwards, I'll be in a high-demand career where I can much more easily find employment in most places across the country. In the meantime, I've got to suck it up.

It also doesn't help that I live in Vermont where our odd road networks are at "the mercy of the mountains" as the locals say(far better than the traffic people in most areas deal with, IMO). I know, "move", but it's not an (wise) option until I'm done with school.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
At my old job, I had a 40 min drive in the AM, 1 hr+ in the afternoon. My new job is 2mi from my place, and it's better in every way. I don't ever want to go back to wasting 10 hrs or more every week just commuting for work, and NOT even getting paid for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
28 miles one way, about half an hour.

There was a time I was doing 108 miles round trip when I was working two jobs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
90 minutes.  68 miles each way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
you'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
When I go to the office, it takes 15 minutes.

I flew to El Salvador Monday, worked 10 hours Tuesday and flew home Wednesday. Last month I went to Chile for 4 days. I've worked in Missouri on three separate occasions this year, PA twice, AZ once, all over Florida and I'm in Osceola, Iowa right now. That's just since March.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a 5 1/2 hour drive from my home to my San Antonio office...and another 45 minutes farther to my client's office. Luckily I don't have to drive home every week, nor do I have to go to my client's office every day.

Occasionally, it makes for a very long day.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I drive an hour right now, but that's going to change to about 15 to 20 minutes next month.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
10 minutes
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
About 4 minutes for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here in SoCal, that's the average commute.  God forbid there is a traffic accident on the 57fwy, it will take you 3+ hours to get to work.

Every once in a while, someone does a TV news story about folks who bought homes WAAAAAAY out in the sticks, mostly because you needed to move that far away from LA to find any housing that was still affordable. Many of these people have 4- or 5-hour commutes, one-way. Needless to say, car-pooling is very popular, and some of the larger employers operate their own van fleets for this purpose.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top