Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 10:28:47 AM EDT
I drink around 5 cans of pop a day at work and end up drinking 2-3 glasses more after supper. Each 12oz. can/glass contains around 35mg of sodium. I don't use table salt when eating any foods. I get a free physical yearly (work for a medical center) and my blood tests always come out fine. I'm in perfect shape/health for my age but am wondering if this amount of sodium will affect me negatively down the road.

Edited to say I know I should consult with my physician instead of asking you losers but heh, we have some pretty smart people here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as you dont have any kidney disease,heart disease or failure, diabetes,hypertension the sodium will be no problem in the short term but you are working the kidneys extra hard if you are not drinking enough free water. It sounds like you are consciencious of your intake and have compensated by not adding salt to your foods. Thats good, usual diet between around 4 grams of sodium anyway with all the processed foods we eat. Cardiac diets are restricted to 2 grams of sodium.
A quuestion I have is the soda caffeine free? If not you are potentially harming yourself, limit caffeine to 300mg or so per day. Also the concentrated sugar(30 to 40grams per can)will take its toll on the body as well.
Best advise is to substitute every other can of soda with water, Brita makes a decent countertop filter for tap water, then pour it into a clean recycled 12 oz bottle
....Lebrew  
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they diet or regular?  All that sugar or sweetener is BAD for you.  The salt probably won't hurt you or affect your blood pressure unless you're sensitive to it.  

Drink water.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard to say if you would be one of the people who would become sensitive to sodium and develop hypertension or not. Daily recommended intake is anywhere from 1100-3300mg/day depending on who gives you the info.  The sodas you are drinking are not that big of deal other than the sugar content.  Eatting say a big Mac with almost 1 thousand mgs would be worse.  In fact 2% skim milk has more than double the sodium that soda has.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Just switch to beer, that's what I did![:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just switch to beer, that's what I did![:D]
View Quote

[;)]right on 2whiskey, just need some fresh pig kill to make it just right
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
While soda doesn't contain a lot of sodium, I would suggest limiting your intake.  The amount you are consuming is not healthy.  That much sugar hard on you system.  It increases you risk of diabetes which is something you definitely don't want.  Colas and many other types of soda contain phosphoric acid which leeches calcium out of your bones and teeth and leaves them weakened.  It would be a bit tough to get used to, but I would suggest limiting your consumption to a can or two a day and keeping a water bottle around.  When you crave sugar eat some fruit.  You'll be amazed how much more healthy you will feel.  Trust me, water is good!

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not addressing your sodium concerns,but,thats just tooooo much CRAP to be drinking=sugar typed water.Every one likes different stuff,thats why they are comming out w/cherry/vannila/lime coke,to secure their market,because its ONLY *SUGAR* WATER,but @ 100oz of pop a day is [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[;)]right on 2whiskey, just need some fresh pig kill to make it just right
View Quote
              Now we're talkin'!!![50]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
OK I'll say this as nice as possible without sounding stuck up or whatever you want to call me.
Actually, F it....

Dude, that's f'in GROSS!
You must not be wise in the ways of nutrition.

When drinking that much soda in a day, the last thing I'd be worried about is sodium.

You need to watch the calorie and Suger intake if anything!!

A standard cola has 160 calories and 40 grams of sugers.

Times that by 8 and you get over 1200 calories and over 320 grams of carbs!!

All of this equals =   FATASS

You need to dump to pop, and stick to water if your thirsty. You do know that water is the only thing that satisfies thirst and caffeine actually makes you thirstier?

When you eat or drink anything, you need to do this.

1. Find foods and drinks that have lower amounts of bad Carbs (sugars and starches)

2. Find foods and drinks that are high in good carbs (fibers)

3.Protein is the building blocks of muscle so you need the highest lvls of protein possible.

4. Keep fat intake low as possible.

5. Take your Vitamins Daily!!

6.Drink AT LEAST 1/2 gallon of water daily.

This is the lazyman's Diet.

If you want a workout man's diet, please ask.

Comin guys, you talk about SHTF and being all "tactical", how the F are you going to do anything if your just a big fatass??

I don't care if you say your in shape, as soon as your metabolism catches up with your habits, its going to hit you hard.

I'm guessing your younger (in 20's) and at some point in your life you were at least a semi-active person?

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK I'll say this as nice as possible without sounding stuck up or whatever you want to call me.
Actually, F it....

Dude, that's f'in GROSS!

When drinking that much soda in a day, the last thing I'd be worried about is sodium.

You need to dump to pop, and stick to water if your thirsty. You do know that water is the only thing that satisfies thirst and caffeine actually makes you thirstier?

1. Find foods and drinks that have lower amounts of bad Carbs (sugars and starches)

3.Protein is the building blocks of muscle so you need the highest lvls of protein possible.

Comin guys, you talk about SHTF and being all "tactical", how the F are you going to do anything if your just a big fatass??

Jeez.

View Quote

LOL good point SHO, alot of fatass have 50cal, plus if SHTF skinny asses don't have much of a food reserve, but they do make a harder target to hit.

Personally if SHTF most couldn't survive w/o
Starbucks coffee
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually, F it....

Dude, that's f'in GROSS!

6.Drink AT LEAST 1/2 gallon of water daily.

I don't care if you say your in shape, as soon as your metabolism catches up with your habits, its going to hit you hard.

I'm guessing your younger (in 20's) and at some point in your life you were at least a semi-active person?

View Quote

Thankfully it's diet pop with no sugar or calories (diet Pepsi); no fatass here thank you. I guess I should have clarified that initially. The nutra-sweet/cancer thing worries me sometimes but pretty much everything causes cancer these days. I stay very active/fit and this pop kick I'm on lately hasn't brought me to addiction yet.

MurderSHO you're funny. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
seems like everything at one time or another has been linked to cancer, don't give yourself an ulcer worrying about it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ditto MURDERSHO45....
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I like to keep myself 25 lbs overweight as an emergency preparedness tactic

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top