Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2002 11:45:28 AM EDT
i saw a .22 conversion kit the other day for around $100 bucks.  is it worth it?  should i get one?  i dont want it perminatily for my ar, will it harm anything?  better priced ones?  sugjestions? thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
i picked up one of the rebuilt us airforce kits from the ee several months back and have managed to acquire a few extra mags for it. honestly, i havent shot it yet. id just as soon use a 22 rifle.  however, i thought the conversion might be a useful shtf item.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I hate the white mags, but the AF unit does what the others don't.  It holds the bolt back after the last round is fired. Also, the "barrel" portion ahead of the chamber has very shallow rifling; just enough to get the bullet started spinning and still allow it to engage the fully cut rifling of the barrel without deforming. Haven't yet tried it in my new M4gery w/ 1in9 twist, but it's always been very accurate in the 1in12 preban barrels.

I keep threatening to paint the mags black, but never seem to get around to it [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with your 1 in 9 M4gery.  .22 cal. are generally fired in a 1 in 16 twist barrel.  A lot of people have had a lot of trouble with severe leading in 1 in 7 barrels.  

There was a company with a double barrelled English sounding name that was planning to offer .22 cal. dedicated uppers (perfect M4gery on the outside).  Don't know if they're still around.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Have never had any appreciable leading using my unit in a 1in12 barrel,  and at one point fired between 1500 and 2000 rounds thru it w/o either cleaning or firing any .223.  Oddly enough, when I did go back to center fire, I started having failures to eject, and assumed that lead had piled up in the gas port.  Tore everything apart, even replaced the gas tube, cleaned the hell out of the gun with no success. Put the gun up for 7years, and it wasn't til I got to this website, and read about the extractor spring problem, that I finally got the piece working again. It never was any lead fouling causing a problem. [:D] Guess I'll find out about accuracy w/a 1in9 twist this Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top