Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/22/2002 8:30:57 AM EDT
Hi all, Im trying to remove some heavy rust on some metal pieces. I have heard that naval jelly works wonders. How do you use that stuff? Do i need to knock off the old rust. Will it eat away the rust and just leave the metal? DO i spray it, let it soak, wash it off and then scrap off the rust? Thanks for the help lojack
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:33:16 AM EDT
RTFB! ;) Read The Effing Bottle the directions are right on the bottle, i think its a let sit'n'soak job thou.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:33:46 AM EDT
I don't know any thing about naval jelly..... but I do know Kentucky jelly works very well;)
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:38:26 AM EDT
Navel [b][i][red]jelly[/red][/i]?!?![/b] The most I ever get is navel [i][b]lint[/i][/b]!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:44:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:46:15 AM EDT
You brush it on, let it set, then rinse it off. Take of any flaking rust with a brush first. [b]Don't[/b] get it on your skin or anything you don't want to damage the finish on!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:49:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lojack: Hi all, Im trying to remove some heavy rust on some metal pieces. I have heard that naval jelly works wonders. How do you use that stuff? Do i need to knock off the old rust. Will it eat away the rust and just leave the metal? DO i spray it, let it soak, wash it off and then scrap off the rust? Thanks for the help lojack
View Quote
You apply it with a paint brush or sponge, and allow to sit 5-20 minites, depending upon severity of rust. If there is lots of loose rust, it's a good idea to clean the pieces with a wire brush before applying the naval jelly. Just be careful, as it contains phosophoric acid. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:49:26 AM EDT
i've used this stuf and never thought it was very effective. maybe removing as much rust as possible first might make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:58:05 AM EDT
Be careful, the stuff does not seem to do a good job on heavy rust, but it'll certainly do the job on blueing, parkerizing, zinc, aluminum or chrome plate, and any paint job around. If it's big enough, just use a grinder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:05:20 AM EDT
Top Top