Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/21/2002 12:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2002 12:13:42 PM EDT by Kenefick]
Can anyone give me their review of the CETME that has owned one? Also if you are con CETME please give sugestions on what else to consider. Would like to stay in .308 and the same price range could go a little higher. Thanks [:\]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:17:48 PM EDT
Your choices are pretty limited in the $300 range, I'm afraid to say. About the cheapest auto-loading .308 these days that's worth anything is the FAL, which even then start at $800 for a good one. Have you been over to FAL Files? A lot of people over there own CETMEs. [url]www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:48:18 PM EDT
just get a m1a.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:51:17 PM EDT
i've read good things about the vepr .308 have never touched one though, so i can't say more than that, but it may be worth looking into
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:56:58 PM EDT
The $300 CETME's can be a pain if you get a bad one, but century has been fixing them. You won't get anything else in that price range so it's worth taking a chance on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2002 6:02:29 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:35:49 PM EDT
How about the Saiga rifles? They have a .308 version, and it is inexpensive. Biggest problem i that it only takes an 8-round magazine. GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:51:47 PM EDT
I have one of the SOG Cetme. I have had really good luck with it. I have put about 300 rounds through it without one problem. Some of the mags are sorta' hard to fit but that is easy to fit with a little sand paper. medcop
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:53:25 PM EDT
i have always wondered what CETME means or is it just a name?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:00:11 AM EDT
yeah, what dave said, and what's VEPR stand for?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:09:04 AM EDT
Vepr=Wild Boar (90% sure on this one) CETME=CENTRO de ESTUDIOS TECNICOS de MATERIALES ESPECIALES
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:23:12 AM EDT
From another thread I posted:
I stopped by a local gunshop that had 10 of the $299 CETME rifles on display. I have one from the original "unissued parts, cast stainless steel receiver" lot, and I've been very happy with it. I was planning on buying one of these $299 guns simply to use as a shooter, and truck gun. After examining all 10, I was severely disappointed, for a number of reasons: 1. It might have been possible to put together a decent set of wood by picking and choosing between the furniture on all 10 guns, but I doubt it. Some of the wood was so bad it looked like it had been shaped from a warped 2x4 with a dremel tool. Others had decent wood and the metal looked like it had been beaten by a ball pein hammer. 2. Those holes in the receiver look like a bad idea. The new stamped receivers (not the old Hesse ones) have openings in either side of the receiver that are just behind where the bolt is seated in the chamber. This apparently doesn't matter for function, but implies that the design of the stamping is incorrect since these openings shouldn't be there. 3. The ejection port is slightly further forward than on the previous receivers and the edge of the bolt carrier could be seen with the action completely closed. This really surprised me, but all of the guns had this issue. Once again, not a function problem, but seemed indicitive of lazy design. 4. Bores were all black holes; they might have cleaned up well, but even with bore light in hand it was difficult to get any idea what the bores looked like. 5. Sights look like they were tack welded to the top of the stamping. Standard CETME rear sight is bad enough, but to just mount the sight on a little tab that's tack welded to the stamped receiver seems like a really bad idea.
View Quote
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:48:14 AM EDT
I bought one this month from AIM - actually, I bought two. The first one had problems with the bolt riding over no matter what mags I used in it, so I returned it. The second one works great with the 20rd CETME mags that came with it and my G3 mags. The sights were dead on, and I was shooting 3in groups at 100yds with the stock sights(for me, this is great.) Felt recoil is light - lighter than the SAR-3 I have - I think this is because the bolt unlocks at 1kg, it has a muzzle brake and the rifle has a rubber butt pad. Wood was in very good condition. Bore was also very good-excellent. I'd have to agree with the holes in the receiver - they're at the point where the rollers lock into the recesses in the receiver - bad idea, but nothing some duct tape wouldn't fix. The rear sight does seem a little flimsy. Cleaning afterwards is a pain because it gets very dirty. All in all, I'm very happy with the rifle - I think I like it better than my FAL. For $300, I'd get one, and I'd get one from AIM Surplus if you can - they're great folks, have always been fair with me and I've never seen a bad post about them. This was the 8th time I've bought from them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:19:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:29:36 AM EDT
Does anyone make a CETME with HK-style diopter sights? The crappy sights have been the main reason I haven't gotten one of these rifles yet, and even then, I might do it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2002 10:41:50 AM EDT by SteyrAUG]
Just a word of WARNING. The new cheaper CETMES use a stamped receiver and are much different form the old cast receiver. Both guns are built with SW parts supplied to CAI. SW and CAI, can you get a better marriage of substandard? If the new "stamped" CETMES are anything like the new "stamped" SW5s you might wanna think about it after seing this: [url]http://www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001000&p=[/url] Also, as with all HK clones, the quality of parts as compared to last year is getting worse. I was never overly impressed with the BEST of the CETME guns. These are probably a crappier receiver built with the remaining kits that they have left. You get what you pay for. Unless you get it from CAI, then you paid too much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:49:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By superdav: i have always wondered what CETME means or is it just a name?
View Quote
it's an acronym in Spanish... I believe it's the national firearms manufacturer for Spain...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:24:13 AM EDT
"Centro de Estudios Tecnicos de Materiales Especiales" Forgot to add that the handguard gets very hot after ~20 rounds.
Top Top