Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The name Padilla ring a bell raf????
View Quote

The guy's arrested on May 8, and you [i]really[/i] expect a trial to have taken place by now???
View Quote

Under settled law, they have about 48 hours to charge him. How long has it been raf?? Do you think 2 months is long enough?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A few things:

First, who would you rather have as president? I mean, we had 2 viable choices in 2000, Gore or Bush. And you can't possibly believe that Gore would be more light-handed in terms of expanding federal power - 'big central govt' is the central tenet of modern liberalisim.

Bush has been very anti-internationalist, unilateral, and pro-US-sovereignty since he took office. He avoids international treaties whenever possible (and royally (no pun intended) pisses off the Euros by doing so), won't support the ICC (12 months to come home might as well be immunity, as no other government is going to get away with abducting US citizens (much less US military personell) from within our borders), and has even backed out of some more useless treaties (ABM).

And as for national IDs and law enforcement, we ALLREADY have 2 de-facto national ID systems: Inter-state drive-license and background check systems (ex NICS), and Social Security cards. We also have a plethora of interlockibng and overlaping federal LE agencies (BATF, FBI, Secret Service, Customs, INS, US Attorney/US Marshals, Even the EPA and Agriculture have their own (armed) law-enforcement bodies). Having a single national police agency makes sense (Dept of HS, however, as envisioned, is just another level of 'crat factor. That won't work), since you can fire a whole lot of pencil pushers and eliminate duplication of effort. You'll also can the inter-agency pissing matches that can make a difference between catching crooks (or terrorists) and catching air. Consolidate. Fire all the 'effort duplicating' administrators. Make sure their mandate is narrrow-as-possible. And use the money saved to add further enforcement, not more 'crats.

The only thing that really *IS* scary, is what Slick Hilly might do with this new federal power if she gets in. And the simplest way to hand the Dems the white house is to pull support from Bush over these issues. GWB is better than  Al, or Hillary, or whoever... So faced with the fact that either a Dem or Rep will be president (Sorry, but we just don't have any viable 3rd parties), take the best of the two.
View Quote

Don't know if you noticed it or not Dave, but the liberal internationalist agenda has been advanced more under this administration than any other since FDR.......
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My contention is that our Constitution and the principles on which this nation was founded, have been, and continue to be thrown in the garbage can. Do you dispute that fact??
View Quote

Not sure, since it's only an [i]assertion[/i] until evidence is supplied to buttress the assertion.
Please specify the provisions of the Constitution which have been "thrown in the garbage can", also list by whom done, when done, and provide a summary of reasons for the act being done.
View Quote

My patience is exhausted...Get bent raf....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Liberty, my point is we need to quit focusing on people who aren't the problem, Americans. Our freedoms are going down the toilet and the tangos are, no doubt, happy about it. We need to get over our PC mindset and get to the root of this problem. We should have never changed a thing about our lifestyle. Instead, we should have NUKED the top 6 capitols of terror supporting arab countries on 9-12-01!!!!! I think they would have been impressed more by that response.
View Quote

And my point is that foreign terrorists are not the real target of our govt.......Guess who is.
View Quote

That's seems to be a very paranoid statement. I am interested, who is the "real" target?  Gun owners?  White males?  So did the government plan the Sept, 11th attacks or did they have is diabolical plan in place for just this type of occasion?
View Quote

if by that you mean, did they have a diabolical plan worked up and ready to implement as soon as some act of terrorism gave them an excuse, i'd say yes.

if you mean, were they involved in producing the acts of terrorism, who knows --- it doesn' seem unlikely though, give that the fbi was involved in the first wtc bombing

View Quote

Since neither the Democrats or the Republicans knew who was going to win the last election or if or when a terrorist attach was going to take place did they both have plans in place to take away our freedoms?  
View Quote

a lot of the same folks stick around from election to election, and those that are voted out, still are active in their party

these guys have been clamoring for more powers to fight terrorism for years, here's one example:

[url]http://www.cnn.com/US/9902/01/pentagon.terrorism/index.html[/url]

they've got a list of powers they'd like to have, and every little "event" gives them an excuse to get some of them put in place. they may not have had the "patriot" or the post OKC anti-terror law written completely just before the attack, who knows, but they did have a list of desired powers, and it didn't take long to write them down when it was clear a law could freely sail through congress

Did the Republicans fix the last election so they could implement there plan knowing that there would be an attack during this presidential term?
View Quote

i'm not really saying it's just the republicans, i'm saying its the whole two party crowd

after each major bombing since 1993 some senator has tried to push an anti-terrorist bill—which rapes constitutional liberties and personal freedom—through congress.

What's your source on the FBI involvement in the first WTB attack.
View Quote

search for the phrase "Emad Salem" "world trade center bombing" on google
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL!  You're comparing apples to oranges.  This was settled during WWII, when SCOTUS allowed the detention of combatants, either foreign or US citizens, until the end of hostilities, if necessary.

You're confusing the Laws of War with US domestic civil (and possibly) criminal laws.  different animals.
View Quote

The rub here is what exactly constitutes a "combatant?"  

I have a VERY hard time accepting that the executive branch can simply declare someone to be a combatant and have that individual have all of their constitutional rights suspended.

Where are the checks and balances here?  If you're one of these "combatants" you don't even have the right to have your status determined by a court of law--or at least that's what the Bush administration is saying.

Don't you see a problem with this?  ANYONE can potentially be considered a combatant.  You can be put in jail, without access to an attorney, without access to the courts, and left to ROT until "hostilities" have ended--and the way our federal government is talking, that can/will be decades.

But hey, they'll only use it against those terroristic towelheads, right?

...right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems to me that the worst-possible-case interpretation is uniformly applied to each instance cited.
While I agree with you that some, if not all, of these proposals are problematic, we ought to keep in mind that they are [b]proposals[/b] which will be reviewed before being enacted.
No doubt numerous Constitutional Rights and Civil Rights organizations will have their input, and appropriate safeguards and sunset provisions will be included in the final legislation.
I understand your dislike of such proposals, and share them to an extent.
However, in the absence of the above proposals, what would be your alternatives?  Please don't suggest that we withdraw into Fortress America, as, regardless of the merits of such an idea, it is a bit late to do that now.  More importantly, since the Terrs may be motivated by a variant of their religion that is inherently antagonistic to our Western culture, such withdrawal may well be ineffective in placating the Terrs, and possibly counterproductive.
Again, [b]your[/b] specific proposals, please.
View Quote

1. Stop supporting the Saudi govt. with military support, and remove all of our troops from the Arab world.

2. Stop supporting the Egyptian, Jordanian and any other arab nation. We give Egypt a shit load in military aid to "keep the peace". Some of Osama's lieutenants are actually after us because we support the Egyptian govt. and Saudi govt., not Israeli.

3. Quit funding Israel. Removed all military aid from the federal budget.

4. Leave NATO.

5. Remove all troops from basically anywhere else in the world: Korea, no support for Taiwan, etc.

6. Bring them home to defend our borders from illegal immigration. Stop the immigration flux now, and increase the time it takes to become an American citizen to like 30 years or more (hence, voting rights and rights to social services).

7. Leave the UN.

This will solve 99% of our problems. I find it hard to believe that Osama is after "our culture
" and wants to destroy America. He uses that verbose garbage just to attract recruits. He lacks man power and money to pull it off. I doubt you'll see a naval fleet of towel heads off of our shores any time soon to "invade America".

Instead, you'll see immigrants trying to come into America and become citizens to live and work, vote and pay taxes. There's a butt load of Arabs in this country already, and they're more likely to cause trouble if we incite war against their homelands. If we do incite more wars in the Middle East, I doubt the INS would stop their immigration. This is how the 9/11 hijackers entered this country, via student VISAs. Thus, I'll be damned if I trust the govt. to use war to solve the "terrorist question" if they're going to keep letting them in on a daily basis.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[Not sure, since it's only an [i]assertion[/i] until evidence is supplied to buttress the assertion.
Please specify the provisions of the Constitution which have been "thrown in the garbage can", also list by whom done, when done, and provide a summary of reasons for the act being done.
View Quote

Here you go RAF, but please understand that I am not a walking bibliography, so you may have to crack a book or do a web search or two if you doubt anything I say.

Art 1. We have free speech in this country as long as you don't say things that are hurtful such as racial epithets (other than those directed at white people) or anything of the like. Simply saying "I wish those illegals would go back to Mexico." got one woman jailed and fined in Idaho? Iowa? can't remember. Others, and yes I am including Bill Maher in this crowd, have been fired, ostracized, or investigated by the FBI for not being in lockstep with the groupthink. If you don't believe me, you should read the paper or surf a little. One young woman was investigated by the FBI because she had a anti-death penalty poster on her wall that featured Pres. Bush when he was the TX governor. Remember, TIPS won't be abused, right? TIPS, among other equally delightful ideas, will absolutely quash freedom of expression in this country. We aren't totally done with destroying freedom of speech, but it is rapidly coming. When the first incidents of restriction on speech went unpunished and the perps were in fact rewarded, freedom of speech died here. Died with the advent of PC as well as the PATRIOT act. Dates and malefactors, many.

Art 2. The moment we allowed gun control to exist we ended the freedom to posess weapons and made it a priviledge we must beg the state for. Surely you are aware of this? Died 1934. Malefactors? Many.

Art 3. OK. We still have this one. Sorta. It is probably unreasonable that we will ever be forced to quarter soldiers in our homes. That being said, during the federal murder of civilians at Waco, TX, the feds took over a nearby private dwelling as their base of operations. The folks were told that they really had no choice. So much for that article of the bill of rights. Died, 1993. Malefactor, Louis Freeh.

Art 4. Gonesville. The PATRIOT act says that anyone can be searched without a warrant or that secret warrants, which might as well be the same thing can be used. If some federale decides you are a terrorist, a terrorist being anybody the govermnment says is a terrorist, you can be dissapeared, never charged, held indefinately without trail, have all your assets seized, and held incommunicado. Don't believe me? Check it out. Died, 2002. Malefactor, Bush et al.

Art 5. See above. Also, under the hostile witness clause, you can be made to testify against yourself if you take the stand. I think maybe that exporting people to foreign soil so we can torture them may fall under this as well.Died 2002. Malefactor, Bush, et al.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Art 6. Again, see the response to Art 4.Died 2002. Died 2002. Malefactor, Bush, et al.

Art 7. No jury trials in terrorist trials. So if you as a citizen, expressing your now non-existant right to free speech and to peaceably assemble, are BRANDED A TERRORIST because you spoke up against the government's actions, You get no trial by jury. Heck, who knows if you even get a trial? That sucker might be a secret too. Died 2002. Malefactor Bush, et al.

Art 8. No bail, no fines probably in a terrorist case. I think however that being imprisioned or killed because some government official decided to do it might be considered by reasonable men to be excessivly cruel and unusual. But heck, if it becomes the norm like in the Soviet Union or North Korea, then I guess it won't really be unusual. Just really fucking horrible. Died 2002. Malefactor Bush, et al.

Art 9. OK. Here is a meaningful/meaningless phrase. It means nothing without something to refer to. Get it? But we get to keep it. Yippee.

Art 10. Gone. Killed by that evil tyrant scumbag in 1861.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As an aside, would you have waited for the Nazis to invade the US before becoming involved in WWII?
View Quote

Yes. It was never our fight. If the Germans couldn't make it across the Channel to subdue tiny mostly unarmed Great Britain, do you honestly think they could have made it across the Atlantic in order to meet up with every rifle in the US pointed at their pumpkin heads?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Speak for yourself, please.  Some of us still speak our minds, and walk free.  Try it sometime.  Refreshing.
View Quote

I do it quite often and at my peril. Get it? At my peril. That isn't FREE speech. We will see how refreshing it when find yorself in a cell.

"Malefactors:many"? Gun control has always existed.  Neither idiots, irresponsible children nor outright felons legally posessed firearms in the colonies.  Their fellow citizens acted to correct the situation long before the authorities could act.  As for the further infringement of RKBA, I agree for the most part.
View Quote

Moving to stop the unfit is not the same thing as stopping regular citizens and you know it. Don't be disingenuous, it is the mark of the weakminded.
Well, do we or don't we.  Make up your mind.
View Quote

Are you illiterate? Read what I wrote.

You may be correct, at least in part.  Let's see if the Patriot Act sunsets as it is schedualed to do.
View Quote

If the AWB sunsets it may resurrect my naivte concerning the government. Don't hold your breath.

Interesting.  Unusual that the ACLU has not mentioned this lately.  Perhaps the "controlled press" conspired to hide it from me.
View Quote

The ACLU picks its battles and may well agree with this rule as it has been around a long time. Why do you think lawyers hate it when their client takes the stand? This is one reason.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
pilo, you're dealing with either a gameplayer, or one who is a drooler. Either way, don't waste yer time.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tell me how the murder of Art VI happened, please.
View Quote

When we started rounding people up and holding them without charges. Read the papers. Watch CNN. Do you honestly think you can discuss the world when you are ignorant if it?

I see.  Do you think it is wise and desirable to cede US Citizen rights to foreign Terrorists that murder us?  Please explain.  Lots of suppositions, maybes, and could-bes here.  Again, you seem to be wishing for worst-case scenario here.
View Quote

We either obey the law or we recognize that this is a dictatorship based upon the whim of the elite. If they are in this country we treat them like everybody else or the law has no meaning. Also, some of those people who have been rounded up are US citizens. Should we discount their rights because GB says so? How empty minded.

Again, lots of maybes and wishful thinking here, with no concrete examples of the worst-case scenario claimed to already exist.
View Quote

There are reportedly about a thousand concrete examples sitting in cincrete hotels in this country right now. Wake up.

Are you [i]sure[/i]?  Maybe there's a secret codicil that strips of this one too.  Bet that no-good Bush is writing one right now,
View Quote

Again with the smartass. If you can't frame an argument properly and with some degree of organized thought, leave it alone and go do what you are more accustomed to. Those lego houses won't build themselves you know.

Curious, I thought Lincoln freed the slaves.  Maybe you mean Jeff Davis, who fought to keep them?
View Quote

Lincoln didn't free the slaves. Get a history book. Lincoln gutted the country unjustly and trampled the bill of rights to do it.

Seems to me that some people see the glass as half full, some sees it as half empty, and some sees it in pieces on the floor.
I'm going to classify you with the latter. [;)]
View Quote

Again, wake up. Look around. The house is on fire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/boohoo.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for making my point for me.  And you want us to take you seriously??? [:D]
As for "mostly unarmed", have you, in your extensive researches, come across any references to the Royal Air Force, and/or the Royal Navy?  That's what kept the Germans off the British Isles, nothing else.
View Quote

Was it the Swiss navy who kept those evil Nazis, the Washington Generals of the History Channel, at bay? It was the fact that every swinging dick had a weapon in his closet and knew how to use it. They could have held GB if they could have taken it because the Brits foolishly had no armed civil populace. They could have never held anything at all in the US because we were as armed as the Swiss. The Brits came real close to being a part of the Reich and would have been without our aid. We should never have been in Europe militarily. It wasn't our fight. Show me where it says in the constitution that we are to supply hessians to foreign states at the president's whim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yup, ya got me...  I'm just a dumbass for not seeing things your way.  
Worse still, I've disagreed with y'all in public, and had the temerity to ask y'all for proof of what you say.

You're right.  I deserve to be insulted by those so obviously my mental and moral superiors.
View Quote

As long as you acknowledge it I will be satisfied.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We digress.  Actually, the Swiss Army was a relatively minor factor.  What was of FAR greater impact was about 230 [i]million[/i] soviets who were at war with Hitler.  Besides, it suited Hitler economically and diplomatically to have a neutral nation that was harmless to Germany within easy access.
Have you done much research on this stuff?
View Quote

Yes I have. Did you notice that the Germans conquered western Europe prior to Hitler's attempt to recreate Napoleon's wild sucess in Russia? And that they steered clear of the Swiss while doing it? I have heard the argument that Hitler wanted Switzerland to remain neutral and independnet so he could base his spies and have a place to store his cash. Horsecrap. What do you say to a domestic spy? "How fast was I going officer?" If he had invaded and conquered he wouldn't have needed spies, he would have had the police. He also didn't need a safe place to keep his stuff. He had Germany. The argument you are putting forth is a flimsy one, unsupported by reason. He couldn't get Switzerland because of the Swiss. It is just that simple. If you don't think a bunch or resolute men with their backs to the wall can't make a difference, even against a monstrously superior force, I suggest you accquaint yourself with the Warsaw ghetto uprising.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As an aside, would you have waited for the Nazis to invade the US before becoming involved in WWII?
View Quote

Other than the mass murder of "undesirables" throughout europe (morally speaking, a reason to go to war in and of itself, but more on that later) exactly what reasons do you have for American involvement in the european phase of WW2?

Think about history before you reply--even Roosevelt, who direly wanted to involve us in ww2, was not able to declare war on Germany until THEY declared war on us on 8 December 1941.

As for moral reasons, if those were valid then, why are they NOT valid NOW?  Should we not be at war with china, the vast majority of the middle east, and any other country who has ethnic/gender/political groups that it  oppresses, puts in labor camps, or exterminates outright?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I see.  Do you think it is wise and desirable to cede US Citizen rights to foreign Terrorists that murder us?  Please explain.  Lots of suppositions, maybes, and could-bes here.  Again, you seem to be wishing for worst-case scenario here.
View Quote

It's interesting that you should phrase it that way.  "US Citizen Rights."  Let me ask you a question:

Do non-citizens have the right to free speach?  The right not to incriminate themselves?  The right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure?

The answer to all of those questions is, of course, yes.

The bill of rights doesn't just apply to citizens, it applies to everyone.  

That said, I think it's fair to exclude enemy combatants from the civil justice system.  They don't belong there because civil rules just do not apply in war--killing people and breaking things is what soldiers do.  but as I mentioned earlier, determining exactly WHO is a combatant is where the rub is, and if there is ANY question, should be left up to a judge and a jury.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
have you, in your extensive researches, come across any references to the Royal Air Force, and/or the Royal Navy?  That's what kept the Germans off the British Isles, nothing else.
View Quote

That statement does a great disservice to the men of the US Navy who guarded the convoys from u-boats.

Without those convoys, there wouldn't have food, fuel, or anything else for the RN and the RAF.

And let's not forget lend-lease.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You might also look int the amount ant types of trade between Germany and Switzerland during the War.  Switzerland was a conduit, both ways of cash, people, and hard-to-obtain industrial goods for much of the war.  Simplu because you deny it does not render it so.
View Quote

You might want to take a look at some of that cash. It came from US banking houses. Now can you use your intellect to figure out how that relates to the topic of this thread??
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I suppose that the OSS and MI6 spent such amounts of time and resources in Switzerland was because of the Skiing, not because they were engaged in counter-espionage against the Germans.  Boy, did those crafty Germans ever fool us, eh?
You might also look int the amount ant types of trade between Germany and Switzerland during the War.  Switzerland was a conduit, both ways of cash, people, and hard-to-obtain industrial goods for much of the war.  Simplu because you deny it does not render it so.
As for the Warsaw uprising, may I remind you that it was brutally suppressed?  Please describe the "difference" that the brave people of Warsaw achieved, besides a strictly moral victory.
View Quote

I can't decide if you are being deftly disingenuous or that your reading comprhension is just a little substandard. The OSS and MI6 were there for counterespionage all right, because Hitler hadn't conquered the Swiss. Otherwise they would have been there for simple good old fashioned spying, just like when the skies of Greece were filled with the parachutes of British "archeologists".

Cash and hard to obtain industrial components? Sure. Any reason that couldn't have gone through Spain, a neutral and militarily/finan-
cially unimportant area? Ever wonder about that? Hitler wanted Switzerland, he just couldn't take it. They had the advantage of terrain and an armed population. I used the Warsaw ghetto uprising not because they were successful, but to illustarte what the Swiss would have writ large upon the German army if they had decided to party. Get it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree. One set of rights for non-combatants, another one for combatants.
And I agree about the problem of delineating non-combatant from combatant.  Remember that that issue was intentionally made unclear, for their own advantage, by the Terrs.
When it suited them, they claimed all the extensive rights of civilians.  Then it suited them to call themselves soldiers in Afghan.  Now that they are captured, they want civilian rights again.  Something will have to be worked out in this relatively novel situation.
View Quote

Freedom and security are opposites, remember?  Yep, the terrorists are using our rules against us--the alternative is we change our rules and let em win by default.  I'm not prepared to sacrifice my freedom for "a little temporary safety" are you?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"British Archeologists"?  That's a novel one.  Never heard it, but you never know.  What's your source for this alleged British Fifth Column?
View Quote

There were plenty of British spies in Macedonia and Greece. There was a WW2 periodical that did a pretty good piece on it several years ago. Again, crack a book, do a web search.

Uh, lots of things went through Spain, Portugal, Italy, anf France, to name a few.  Switz in addition to being genuinely neutral, also shared a [b]border[/b] with Germany, something that Spain, for example did not.
The neck of the funnel, either way, was Switz, because of its position.
View Quote

Trading with both sides is not being genuinely neutral. Spain Abuts France. Germany owned France.

I get it.  What you imply by using the Warsaw Ghetto example is that Germany could have taken Switz, albeit at high cost, right?
That rather reinforces my contention that Hitler did not wish to take Switz during the time frame in discussion, for the reasons I stated above.  Thanks ![;)]
View Quote

If Germany had taken, if anyone could take, Switzerland I would be shocked. The cost would have been to high to have been feasable, and the armed citizenry would have made it too dificult to hold. None so blind as those who will not see.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think we disagree here, as I am not entirely sure we must, of necessity sacrifice any Liberty in order to enhance our security.
Although some of our freedon has been eroded, at least temporarily, I do not concede that such was necessary or desirable.
View Quote

But we have, haven't we? Or rather our freedoms have been taken by force from us by an unjust government.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
None so blind as those who will not see.
View Quote

Ahhhh, perhaps now you see. You dialogue with a gameplayer.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I bow to your superior wisdom Lib.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I think we all can agree that these policies, if taken to the extreme, are very very bad.  But can you imagine how bad things would be RIGHT NOW if Gore had been elected instead?

FOTBR
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think we all can agree that these policies, if taken to the extreme, are very very bad.  But can you imagine how bad things would be RIGHT NOW if Gore had been elected instead?

FOTBR
View Quote

Not any worse at all, as has been mentioned before, most of this stuff has been waiting in the wings for years.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bow to your superior wisdom Lib.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that, I went round and round, and not for the first time. I may be dense sometimes, but I get it eventually.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By DSAFALS

Curious though, what top 6 capitols do you you refer to:  Tripoli, Kabul, Ryadh, Baghdad, and of course Tel Aviv right.  After all Israel is waist deep in complicity and foreknowledge of 9/11, and had hundreds of its operative picked up by the Feds after 9/11.  Did you know even Mexico picked up a bunch.  

Nothing like a little extreme right wing doctrine (ala David Duke) to give all gun owners a bad name.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We digress.  Actually, the Swiss Army was a relatively minor factor.  What was of FAR greater impact was about 230 [i]million[/i] soviets who were at war with Hitler.  Besides, it suited Hitler economically and diplomatically to have a neutral nation that was harmless to Germany within easy access.
Have you done much research on this stuff?
View Quote

Yes I have. Did you notice that the Germans conquered western Europe prior to Hitler's attempt to recreate Napoleon's wild sucess in Russia? And that they steered clear of the Swiss while doing it? I have heard the argument that Hitler wanted Switzerland to remain neutral and independnet so he could base his spies and have a place to store his cash. Horsecrap. What do you say to a domestic spy? "How fast was I going officer?" If he had invaded and conquered he wouldn't have needed spies, he would have had the police. He also didn't need a safe place to keep his stuff. He had Germany. The argument you are putting forth is a flimsy one, unsupported by reason. He couldn't get Switzerland because of the Swiss. It is just that simple. If you don't think a bunch or resolute men with their backs to the wall can't make a difference, even against a monstrously superior force, I suggest you accquaint yourself with the Warsaw ghetto uprising.
View Quote

There is a book out called Target Switzerland whose major thesis is that the Swiss Militia was major deterrent to Hitler's attack because every male from the age of 18 to I think 46 had a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By DSAFALS

Curious though, what top 6 capitols do you you refer to:  Tripoli, Kabul, Ryadh, Baghdad, and of course Tel Aviv right.  After all Israel is waist deep in complicity and foreknowledge of 9/11, and had hundreds of its operative picked up by the Feds after 9/11.  Did you know even Mexico picked up a bunch.  

Nothing like a little extreme right wing doctrine (ala David Duke) to give all gun owners a bad name.
View Quote

I wish the fuck someone would dig up that quote I "allegedly" said. I sent an e-mail to dsfals challenging him on it shortly after he posted it. It's 6-7 hours later, no reply. BTW, I don't give 2 shits about "extreme right wing doctrine", that's typical liberal whining.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top