Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been a detective on a child abduction. We managed to get Jenny Krohn back alive after much community help and help from America's Most Wanted.
Yep, we were excited. Excited because we got Jenny back alive, but also because we caught the scumbag and he'll never do it to anyone else's daughter again.
Most of us on the investigation had children. It get's damn personal. Yes, after the better part of a week with very little sleep, we celebrated after she was returned. Also we celebrated after the perp was picked up. It is human nature to be relived when you catch a bad man.
All of the news casters seemed to get it, the deputy's were relived that they had the man who murdered a small child. They had him before he could do it to someone else's child. If you can't figure out why they were celebrating, you just don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Zak, give it up, dude. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.[ Sheriff Carona IS pro-CCW and he has issued over 3000 permits to OC residents.  I'd get one myself if I still lived in OC. They're actually easier to get than DrFrige said.
View Quote

Since I don't live in OC (or even CA, thank god) I wasn't speaking out of personal knowledge, but rather DaFrige's characterizations.  If Carona is as good as you guys claim, great--but I sincerely doubt he's "the most pro-CCW sheriff in the state."
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Well at least the officers didn't dick around.  
If they got the right guy then they should be hugging.  Maybe they saved some other poor guys kid from the same fate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zak, give it up, dude. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.[ Sheriff Carona IS pro-CCW and he has issued over 3000 permits to OC residents.  I'd get one myself if I still lived in OC. They're actually easier to get than DrFrige said.
View Quote

Since I don't live in OC (or even CA, thank god) I wasn't speaking out of personal knowledge, but rather DaFrige's characterizations.  If Carona is as good as you guys claim, great--but I sincerely doubt he's "the most pro-CCW sheriff in the state."
View Quote

Zak, I would agree. You have got to rememeber that Kalif. is a big state. 2/3 of the population live in So. Calif. There are probably other sheriffs that are more pro-CCW in No. Calif, but those areas are most farming areas and are sparsely populated, except of course San Francisco & the Bay area. Mike Corona is one of the few sheriffs from a large metropolitan area that has actually come and say he's pro-CCW. In L.A. County, up until the 2nd Amend. Foundation's lawsuit a few years ago, you couldn't get an application for a CCW let alone actually get one, unless of course you are well-connected(i.e. high profile actor/actress, judge, a U.S. Senator) or ex-LE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
State..........Pop........Viol Cr..Rate....Murder..Rate
Texas.....19,760,000..111,566..564.6..1,346..6.8
Wisconsin..5,224,000...13,009..249.0.....190..3.6

1998 FBI Stats.

So which is the shall issue State and which is the no CCW State???????
View Quote

I'm sorry, but comparing Texas, the second most populous sate in the Union and Wisconsin, the 23rd most populous state, is a little dishonest.  Comparing Texas and California would be more honest, given total population sizes.

Furthermore, consider the facts that murder and violent crime are both down to pre-1980's and 1994 figures, respectively, even though there are roughly 4,000,000 more citizens than at those times and CHL has only been legal since 1995.  It's even more interesting that murders dropped from 2,022 in 1994 to 1,238 in 2000.  Even from 1994-1995 when CHL was enacted, the rates dropped from 2,022 to 1,693.

So while shall issue states may not be safer than all states, they certainly are safer than before shall issue.  That is a disctinction that cannot be denied.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
View Quote

California has about 13 million more people than Texas so going by straight numbers even that is not a fair comparison.  That is why you use a percentage of incident/per 100,000 people so that you can compare sample sizes which are not equal.  The statement regarding a drop in crimes has nothing to do with when the CHL was enacted.  If you look at murder for instance there was a steady drop in most all states between 1995-1999.
murder/manslaughter index:
1995/1997/1999
Alaska-9.1/8.9/8.6
California-11.2/8.0/6.0
Florida-7.3/6.9/5.7
Louisiana-17.0/15.7/10.7
Nevada-10.7/11.2/9.1
New Jersey-5.1/4.2/3.5
New York- 8.5/6.0/5.0
Texas- 9.0/6.8/6.1
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sherrif makes campaign speech
View Quote

Sheriff Corona was uncontested in the primary and will be unopposed in the general election too. Orange County voters are thrilled with his job performance. So what office do you think he is "Campaigning" for?

He said going in that he would only serve 8 years. Personally I hope He reconsiders his pledge to only serve 8 years. If he must move on, I hope it is to bigger and better things, such as the California Govonership or the Presidency.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
State..........Pop........Viol Cr..Rate....Murder..Rate
Texas.....19,760,000..111,566..564.6..1,346..6.8
Wisconsin..5,224,000...13,009..249.0.....190..3.6

1998 FBI Stats.

So which is the shall issue State and which is the no CCW State???????
View Quote

California has about 13 million more people than Texas so going by straight numbers even that is not a fair comparison.  That is why you use a percentage of incident/per 100,000 people so that you can compare sample sizes which are not equal.  The statement regarding a drop in crimes has nothing to do with when the CHL was enacted.  If you look at murder for instance there was a steady drop in most all states between 1995-1999.
murder/manslaughter index:
1995/1997/1999
Alaska-9.1/8.9/8.6
California-11.2/8.0/6.0
Florida-7.3/6.9/5.7
Louisiana-17.0/15.7/10.7
Nevada-10.7/11.2/9.1
New Jersey-5.1/4.2/3.5
New York- 8.5/6.0/5.0
Texas- 9.0/6.8/6.1
View Quote

Look at my numbers, where it says rate that is a population/crimes number.

Why does everyone want to argue this with me??
I keep saying that CHL's are GOOD for individuals, individual protection.

There have been signifigant drops in crime in states that started issuing CHL's. There have also been signifigant drops in crimes in states that don't issue CHL's.

Some CHL states have insane crime rates.
Some non-CHL states have insane crime rates.
Some CHL states have very low crime rates.
Some non-CHL states have low crime rates.

Statistically NATIONWIDE there are more people in jail/prison than ever before. The avg. sentence being served for violent crimes is going up. That has far more to do with crime rates, because it directly effects the supply of CRIMINALS in your area.

Also there are fewer young people demographically speaking. Young people are often the ones committing crimes. Some because they want to grow up to be Dillinger or Capone, and some because of immaturety, or impluse control issues. As people age they are less likley to commit crimes on a whim, or for excitement.

Unfortunately I think the politicains think that CHL's or flash suppressor laws are a cheap and easy way to placate the public and avoid doing stuff like building, staffing, and filling prisons.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It seems to me that they were celebrating the fact they'd caught this POS as quickly as they did, and before he could strike again.

What's wrong with that?

Dude, the bad guy hear is the SCUMBAG who killed the girl. NOT the cops who caught him!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top