Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The antifreeze (old-style; from what I hear the new stuff doesn't have the same effect?) works pretty good, I hear. Yes, they will be sad before they die, but oh well. Ground up rat poison in some food works well too, I hear.

Antifreeze is a pretty cruel way to go...and with both that and rat poison you are going to kill scavengers (buzzards) and possibly some birds of prey (hawks and eagles) as well. You might even kill a dog if the cat manages to stagger into someone elses yard.

Well, over the past decade the feral population in my neighborhood went from 'fucking outrageous' to 'virtually non-existent', and over the course of that decade I have seen a LOT of wildlife, especially birds, return. All variety of songbirds, lots of chipmunks, toads, etc, are all doing great in our area now, whereas before they were pretty darn scarce thanks to the ferals.

So I'm not terribly worried about HOW the ferals go away, just that they do.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Double bag.. and put in garbage for pick up..
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Get traps from the local animal control and have them come pick them up when full.  Depending on local ordinances it may be the only legal way to do it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If the cats are staying around her house, then she is feeding them, and they are not feral cats.  Your thread is asking the best way to kill a neighbors pets.  To which my reply is go fuck yourself.  If you have a problem with a neighbor go talk to them about it.  Killing their pets is unethical, illegal, and immoral.  Creating a threading asking to do something illegal should result in a locked thread.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
42.09. Cruelty to Animals
(a) A person commits an offense if the person  intentionally or knowingly:

(1) tortures an animal;
(2) fails unreasonably to provide necessary food, care, or shelter for an animal in the person's custody;
(3) abandons unreasonably an animal in the person's custody;
(4) transports or confines an animal in a cruel manner;
(5) kills, seriously injures, or administers poison to an animal, other than cattle, horses, sheep, swine, or goats, belonging to another without legal authority or the owner's effective consent;
(6) causes one animal to fight with another;
(7) uses a live animal as a lure in dog race training or in dog coursing on a racetrack;
(8) trips a horse;
(9) injures an animal, other than cattle, horses, sheep, swine, or goats, belonging to another without legal authority or the owner's effective consent; or
(10) seriously overworks an animal.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor was engaged in bona fide experimentation for scientific research.

(c) For purposes of this section:

(1) "Abandon" includes abandoning an animal in the person's custody without making reasonable arrangements for assumption of custody by another person.
(2) "Animal" means a domesticated living creature and wild living creature previously captured. "Animal" does not include
an uncaptured wild creature or a wild creature whose capture was accomplished by conduct at issue under this section.

(3) "Cruel manner" includes a manner that causes or permits unjustified or unwarranted pain or suffering.
(4) "Custody" includes responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of an animal subject to the person's care and control, regardless of ownership of the animal.
(5) "Necessary food, care, or shelter" includes food, care, or shelter provided to the extent required to maintain the animal in a state of good health.
(6)  "Trip" means to use an object to cause a horse to fall or lose its balance.

(d) An offense under Subsection (a)(2), (3), (4), (9), or (10) is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is a state jail felony if the person has previously been convicted two times under this section.

(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(5) that the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or immediately after injuring or killing the person's goats, sheep, cattle, horses, swine, or poultry and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery.

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(8) that the actor tripped the horse for the purpose of identifying the ownership of the horse or giving veterinary care to the horse.

(g) It is a defense to prosecution for an offense under this section that the person had a reasonable fear of bodily injury to the person or to another by a dangerous wild animal as defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code

(h) It is an exception to the application of this section  that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:

(1) use of an animal if that use occurs solely for the purpose of:

(A) fishing, hunting, or trapping; or
(B) wildlife control as regulated by state and federal law; or

(2) animal husbandry or farming practice involving livestock.

In my experience cat hoarders are the worst and can be quite nasty when they find out you're disappearing their kitties.   Have you tried calling the health department in your county?  Tread carefully, poisoning is a very bad idea.  

fe·ral

adjective

1.existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.
2.having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
3.of or characteristic of wild animals; ferocious; brutal.

You really think cat lady is going to say they don't belong to her when she finds you're using fluffy for target practice?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If the cats are staying around her house, then she is feeding them, and they are not feral cats. Your thread is asking the best way to kill a neighbors pets. To which my reply is go fuck yourself. If you have a problem with a neighbor go talk to them about it. Killing their pets is unethical, illegal, and immoral. Creating a threading asking to do something illegal should result in a locked thread.

So how many dozens of cats do you own?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chris I am utterly disappointed in you asking this question...

I have personally shot your .22 with your Sparrow...in fact I shot a rabbit with it!

You know what to do!

Edit:

1. Capture
2. Release at pit
3. ?
4. Profit

Brett,
I will neither confirm or deny your allegations.  

Wanna got to the lake in a couple of weeks?  
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chris I am utterly disappointed in you asking this question...

I have personally shot your .22 with your Sparrow...in fact I shot a rabbit with it!

You know what to do!

Edit:

1. Capture
2. Release at pit
3. ?
4. Profit

Brett,
I will neither confirm or deny your allegations.  

Wanna got to the lake in a couple of weeks?  

Depends if I survive the fires next week! Maybe... I'll let you know, hopefully My new savage .22 will be here!
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you tried "marking" the property with any kind of Predator urine?  A Pee-rimiter?

WOLF PEE

ETA: removal of self incriminating text

I have not tried this, but will order some today.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
What round for feral cat?

12lb Coehorn Mortar

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

Long read but worth it.

That is hilarious.

http://www.buckstix.com/images/mortar%20kitty.jpg

Oh man so f'ing funny!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

12lb Coehorn Mortar

Long read but worth it.

That is hilarious.

http://www.buckstix.com/images/mortar%20kitty.jpg

Oh man so f'ing funny!!

The only legal way in TX to get rid of cats is to trap them on your property and call animal control. If there is no animal control, or they refuse for some reason, take them elsewhere and re-release them, preferably where there are coyotes as stated. You can also dump them behind dumpsters in down town big city and make everyone happy that they kill rats.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the cats are staying around her house, then she is feeding them, and they are not feral cats.  Your thread is asking the best way to kill a neighbors pets.  To which my reply is go fuck yourself.  If you have a problem with a neighbor go talk to them about it.  Killing their pets is unethical, illegal, and immoral.  Creating a threading asking to do something illegal should result in a locked thread.

Have you not read my posts?  I have stated all along I don’t want to kill them if there are other options.  Some type of repellant that keeps them off everyone else property is preferred.   These are hardly pets and every single neighbor has pleaded with her to stop feeding them.   If she wants to have 30+ cats then more power to her, but she should be responsible for making sure they are not ruining everyone else's property.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Feral cats can be dangerous to people and pets in the area since they are often not vaccinated and dont get parasite meds etc.  Anyone feeding them is just putting everyone at risk.  Another option if you can trap them is to look for someone who WANTS feral cats. People with a farm/ranch often want them to reduce rodents.  They usually need to still be spayed/neutered and vaccinated but they have a home at least.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Feral cats can be dangerous to people and pets in the area since they are often not vaccinated and dont get parasite meds etc.  Anyone feeding them is just putting everyone at risk.  Another option if you can trap them is to look for someone who WANTS feral cats. People with a farm/ranch often want them to reduce rodents.  They usually need to still be spayed/neutered and vaccinated but they have a home at least.

To add to that there are a lot of groups that will do the above for little to no money.  Usually they'll notch the cats ear so someone can tell if the cat has been fixed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

42.09. Cruelty to Animals

(a) A person commits an offense if the person  intentionally or knowingly:

(1) tortures an animal;

(2) fails unreasonably to provide necessary food, care, or shelter for an animal in the person's custody;

(3) abandons unreasonably an animal in the person's custody;

(4) transports or confines an animal in a cruel manner;

(5) kills, seriously injures, or administers poison to an animal, other than cattle, horses, sheep, swine, or goats, belonging to another without legal authority or the owner's effective consent;

(6) causes one animal to fight with another;

(7) uses a live animal as a lure in dog race training or in dog coursing on a racetrack;

(8) trips a horse;

(9) injures an animal, other than cattle, horses, sheep, swine, or goats, belonging to another without legal authority or the owner's effective consent; or

(10) seriously overworks an animal.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor was engaged in bona fide experimentation for scientific research.

(c) For purposes of this section:
(1) "Abandon" includes abandoning an animal in the person's custody without making reasonable arrangements for assumption of custody by another person.

(2) "Animal" means a domesticated living creature and wild living creature previously captured. "Animal" does not include

an uncaptured wild creature or a wild creature whose capture was accomplished by conduct at issue under this section.

(3) "Cruel manner" includes a manner that causes or permits unjustified or unwarranted pain or suffering.

(4) "Custody" includes responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of an animal subject to the person's care and control, regardless of ownership of the animal.

(5) "Necessary food, care, or shelter" includes food, care, or shelter provided to the extent required to maintain the animal in a state of good health.

(6)  "Trip" means to use an object to cause a horse to fall or lose its balance.
(d) An offense under Subsection (a)(2), (3), (4), (9), or (10) is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is a state jail felony if the person has previously been convicted two times under this section.

(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(5) that the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or immediately after injuring or killing the person's goats, sheep, cattle, horses, swine, or poultry and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery.

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(8) that the actor tripped the horse for the purpose of identifying the ownership of the horse or giving veterinary care to the horse.

(g) It is a defense to prosecution for an offense under this section that the person had a reasonable fear of bodily injury to the person or to another by a dangerous wild animal as defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code

(h) It is an exception to the application of this section  that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:

(1) use of an animal if that use occurs solely for the purpose of:

(A) fishing, hunting, or trapping; or

(B) wildlife control as regulated by state and federal law; or

(2) animal husbandry or farming practice involving livestock.
In my experience cat hoarders are the worst and can be quite nasty when they find out you're disappearing their kitties.   Have you tried calling the health department in your county?  Tread carefully, poisoning is a very bad idea.  
fe·ral

adjective

1.existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.

2.having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.

3.of or characteristic of wild animals; ferocious; brutal.

You really think cat lady is going to say they don't belong to her when she finds you're using fluffy for target practice?  

When she does claim them to be her's, she is responsible for any damage they do on OP's and his other neighbor's property as well as indigenous wildlife.    

Should also add, they once they are in a trap, they are in your possession.   In some states,  It would not be legal to release them into the wild.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
The first rule of Fight Club is "you don't talk about Fight Club"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#17]
When I first moved into the place I'm at now,had a major prob with feral cats.
I just set traps and took em to the pound. Told the person behind the desk that they're feral. Do as you feel,but I need my traps back,and I will be back.

23 ferals later..
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Please don't do that. I was joking.

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Here you go..

I was beat to it...

FWIW, he also deer hunts with a cannon... Another good read.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You could mail the cats to Chief Justice Roberts.

Option 1

Option 2

Wiki Instructions
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

7.62x54r works really good in my experience. With a 150gr SP it just makes a small entrance and a quarter sized exit, kitty doesn't move an inch, very clean kill.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.62x54r works really good in my experience. With a 150gr SP it just makes a small entrance and a quarter sized exit, kitty doesn't move an inch, very clean kill.

I like your style...

.22 in the ear works pretty good as well I have heard
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hate feral cats with a passion. Shoot 'em dead.

Wish I lived in Wisconsin. I hear they have a Cat Season.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck, I just took in a stray cat...
Very well mannered kitty...and it's a good mouser...

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CCI Subsonic 40gr hollow points + your suppressed 22 = problem solved/problem staying solved

This. Plus target shooting time is good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:17:46 AM EDT
[#30]
what about ultrasonic repellers?  I have no idea if they work at all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
what about ultrasonic repellers?  I have no idea if they work at all.

Subsonic ones work better.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...the crazy lady next door...

It seems the cats are not the root cause of the problem here.

Yep. No point in just treating the symptoms.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm late to this thread but anyway heregoes...Just ask your local sheriff about it. I asked a deptuy what I could do about a cat that was coming on to my property (I own my house) and attacking my cat. Deputy said since it was my property, it was attacking my animal, and since I was outside city limits, it was legal for me to shoot it as long as I was shooting in a safe direction. I ended up finally getting the lady that owned the cat to keep him on her property and didn't need to shoot it though. Killing someone's pet brings me no joy and I'm glad I didn't have to do it. Feral cats are a different story though. You mentioned you had a suppressed .22........so.....SSS
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hava Hart trap, now what to do with the trapped kitty, up to you, release at a remote location, or if the cat can be handled, not too feral, turn into the local animal shelter.

Yeah, I don't have much love for people who trap and dump them so someone else gets to deal with the issue.

I just started to shoot them a few years ago, didn't want to but lately, the coyotes seem to have cleaned them out. I'd suggest finding a way to bring in more coyotes OP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Around here, animal control will loan you the traps for free, and come pick up any cats you catch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm a big pet lover.

But if a lady has 20+ cats that she's feeding and letting them roam the neighborhood, those aren't pets.  That's hoarding, with your neighbors bearing all of the nuisance instead of you.

If the owner won't do anything about them, I have nothing against killing such animals, so long as it's done legally and humanely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Feeding an animal does not per se make it domesticated.

nor does feeding a wild animal make it yours
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have used bait on a fishline and hook.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Call the local animal control or health dept. They will give her a warning them go on a kitty round up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Live trap, 22short has worked for 40 years with a single shot made in the 1930's.
KISS principle applies here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Unvaccinated diseased feral cats being fed by a crazy cat lady not only destroy native wildlife, but also present a risk to, say, real pets like MY cats. Most really bad cat diseases are easily transmitted, so the ferals can make other people's cats sick even if their cats never go outside.

I'm all for fines on unleashed outdoor cats.  I don't want to spend a shitload on vet bills because the crazy lady down the street just wuvs all da fwuffy kitties!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.yash.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/orly.jpg

Sort of.  I had to look it up. Seems you guys passed the law but never enacted it. My reading just now tells me South Dakota and Minnesota allow it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#45]
suppressed 17 HMR?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#46]
They key is doing it stealthfully . Live traps work great. Do not pay some kid to do it as someone else stated. Be smart about it.  Keep the trap out of view . Check it often . It's really just common sense.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#47]
haveaheart trap+garbage can filled with water

ETA: Harbor Freight has the traps for very cheap:
Link
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Used to use a pellet gun.  

Shoot em behind the shoulder like you would a deer.

They'll run a couple yards over before they fold up.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#49]
How about using copper heads . I have of those snakes in my backyard and I have no issues with cats
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#50]
12ga #8 shot isn't just for Clay birds.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top