Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/18/2002 7:03:59 AM EDT
I apologize if this has already been posted. Great article, IMHO. [url]http://makeashorterlink.com/?N10511C31[/url] Hope this link works here. The original link was several lines long. [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:10:38 AM EDT
The Canadians use McMillan rifles, don't they? Great story - thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:19:39 AM EDT
I am not sure of which rifles they use, KBaker... But now that you mention it, it seems a bit odd that they didn't give the name of the weapon in the article.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:22:28 AM EDT
See everyone knows IVI ammo sucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:27:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 7:29:40 AM EDT by Stormbringer]
According to this months SOF story. Our Canadian boys are using AMAX ammo...I think it is made by Hornady. The rifles are Mac Millians. At one point in the battle the Canadian snipers were separated from their rifles. A US sniper tossed his to the Canadian saying " Here, you know how to use this better than I do." THAT IS WHAT I CALL TEAMWORK!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:31:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:34:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 7:36:50 AM EDT by Stormbringer]
DUH Beekeeper....its a reprint from Soldier of Fortune.... Hardly a bastion of Canadian Propaganda!! Will you be emailing or posting you apology?? The interesting thing is that I took the incident of the American loaning his rifle to a Canadian as an example of teamwork..... You on the other hand decided to use it as a dig against Canadians...... Very telling indeed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:46:21 AM EDT
DUH Beekeeper....its a reprint from Soldier of Fortune....
View Quote
Actually, the guy, a Steven Thorne of the Canadian Press, quotes the SOF article but this is not an SOF article. I agree with Beekeeper, there is a LOT of BS in this thing. No doubt the Canadian boys are probably very good but come on, why the embellishment??
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:46:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stormbringer: DUH Beekeeper....its a reprint from Soldier of Fortune.... Hardly a bastion of Canadian Propaganda!! Will you be emailing or posting you apology?? The interesting thing is that I took the incident of the American loaning his rifle to a Canadian as an example of teamwork..... You on the other hand decided to use it as a dig against Canadians...... Very telling indeed.
View Quote
You would take it that way, you dirty Canuck! You maple syrup sucking bastards have been infiltrating the Merc Magazine Publishing community for decades. I don't trust you, you shifty-eyed heathens. AND QUIT SENDING US THOSE DAMN COLD FRONTS! [BD]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:52:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stormbringer: DUH Beekeeper....its a reprint from Soldier of Fortune.... Hardly a bastion of Canadian Propaganda!!
View Quote
It is NOT a reprint from SoF, it very CLEARLY says the author was from Canadian Press.
[center]By Stephen Thorne[/center] [center]Canadian Press[/center]
View Quote
It refers to an estimate in SoF of the number of kills made, but there is no indication that SoF had anything to do with the rest of the content.
Soldier of Fortune magazine estimated the number of kills made by the Canadians after talking to several U.S. soldiers in Kandahar for a cover story in its August edition.
View Quote
Here's your sign...
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:55:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 7:57:28 AM EDT by Stormbringer]
Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:
DUH Beekeeper....its a reprint from Soldier of Fortune....
View Quote
Actually, the guy, a Steven Thorne of the Canadian Press, quotes the SOF article but this is not an SOF article. I agree with Beekeeper, there is a LOT of BS in this thing. No doubt the Canadian boys are probably very good but come on, why the embellishment??
View Quote
READ THE SOF ARTICLE!!! Its really good and puts everything in perspective. What exactly do you say is embellishment?? Funny thing is the article is in the AMERICA AT WAR section.....and its aboat ( LOL) Canadians!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:07:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stormbringer: What exactly do you say is embellishment??
View Quote
Oh, let's see: 1. Mortars were hitting within 10 meters. Hmmm. I call bullshit, because the two were still ALIVE. 2. A soldier THROWING his .50cal to another soldier because that soldier left his rifle behind. Hmmm.... 3. A soldier climbing out of a crater and kicking unexploded ordinance? Hmmmm... As the song says, "Things that make you go hmmmm...."
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:07:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:08:42 AM EDT
AND I QUOTE!!! " The Canadian Deartment of National Defense can't ( or won't for reasons of political correctness) be specific or give numbers but SOLDIER OF FORTUNE CAN." They then go into some background on the Canadian Sniper Programs history and include comments so I in fact was mixed up. HOWEVER! They also mention in the article that our boys are wearing British Desert camms as we sold all of ours years ago...hardly flag waving propaganda.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:13:42 AM EDT
No problem Beekeeper.... Note as well that the Toronto Star ( to which the above link goes) is a LIBERAL RAG!! They fully support Gun Control in Canada!! I was banned from their forum some years ago....but they ended up closing them down a few months ago so it was no great loss. ANYWAY!! GO BUY THIS MONTHS AND NEXT MONTHS SOF!!!! (its a two part story) The story is called " Bolt actions speak louder than words" Gotta love that title. As to mortars? Well I have never been fired on by them but I have read that it is possible to get "under them" in terms of their blast.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:14:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:21:47 AM EDT
Not looking for a fight at all... Just pointing out that the article in SOF is pretty middle of the road in terms of coverage. They point out the good the bad and the ugly.. They talk about the culture shock the Canadians had when placed in American units due to the wealth of equipment.. You are the one who was questioning the integrity of the Canadians in your first post. Basicaly you said that they were liars.... Now you want to say that you were questioning the Reporting...which is fine. However your first post does not read that way at all.. Not looking for a fight either. Just defending our boys.....( not that I think they need it within 2430 meters anyway)
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:35:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:03:37 AM EDT
The reporter was quoting Canadians ( "Alex" I think). I do not think that the CP would print outright lies....well maybe those defending our LIEberal government. However.... It is my perspective that these and other incidents DID in fact happen. What about the AH-64 strafe run against the Canadian snipers?? Did that happen?? We will have to wait till next month to discuss [b]THE[/b] shot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:56:38 AM EDT
Hmmm... Thanks for the replys.. I certainly like a good, spirited discussion. And I learned a few things too. I didn't know about IVI or AMAX ammo, nor had I ever heard about the MacMillan rifles. I am off to see if I can find the SOF article that you guys are referring to. [argue]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:34:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 10:40:28 AM EDT by Stormbringer]
Hey spirited discussions are the best.....just as long as everyone keeps a cool head. And IVI ammo does suck the left one.. edited to add link to SOF [url]http://www.sofmag.com/story1.html[/url]
Top Top