Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2012 2:02:41 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Ruger P95 i just put 30 rounds of some cheap blazer 124 grain through it. I had a bout 3 double feeds and 4 fail to eject. So my question is this the norm for the break in period? Or is it just cheap ammo? If not what are some possible reasons why it's malfunctioning so much because the reason i purchased this gun is because it was cheap and I heard it was exceptionally durable. I have the gun field stripped in front of me so should i clean it and what should i oil/lube it with?
Thanks in advanced.

I also posted this in the ruger handgun section but i also posted it here because i figured more people would see it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I recently purchased a Ruger P95 i just put 30 rounds of some cheap blazer 124 grain through it. I had a bout 3 double feeds and 4 fail to eject. So my question is this the norm for the break in period? Or is it just cheap ammo? If not what are some possible reasons why it's malfunctioning so much because the reason i purchased this gun is because it was cheap and I heard it was exceptionally durable. I have the gun field stripped in front of me so should i clean it and what should i oil/lube it with?

Thanks in advanced.

I also posted this in the ruger handgun section but i also posted it here because i figured more people would see it.
It was probably the cci blazer

I have never had a P85, P89 or P95 malfunction

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks in advanced.

Yea , i was shooting with my brother and he told me he figured it was just the ammo and break in period.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought new one years ago and it worked perfect from the first time I shot it. I would be surprised if it required some sort of break-in period. Try some different ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought new one years ago and it worked perfect from the first time I shot it. I would be surprised if it required some sort of break-in period. Try some different ammo.

Yea , all the reviews I read said it was a really good gun. Guess I'll just try some higher quality ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's old and had ammo stored in the mag for a long period of time.  You may need to replace the mag springs.  People often over look that.  After 2 or 3 years I replace mag springs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it's old and had ammo stored in the mag for a long period of time.  You may need to replace the mag springs.  People often over look that.  After 2 or 3 years I replace mag springs.

I bought everything brand new.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
my experience as well with what was a very good pistol for me ergonomically

sold it
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My P89 loves blazer. You may just need to give it some more break-in.

Now, getting full size mags... THAT will be a pain.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The ONLY malfunctions I had with my SS P95 DC was when my DIL was limp-wristing the hell out it, just sayin'.
It shot everything I fed into it, too.

Stick with OEM mags, they are not too expensive and they WORK.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My P95 eats everything I feed it.  Most reliable gun I own.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had the P85 and P89. The were extremely reliable guns and I've never heard anything bad about the P series Rugers other than the triggers suck and they are very blocky guns.
This doesn't help you and I can sympathize. Everyone always chimes in on how reliable their guns were.

Most of the problems with semi autos can be traced to the magazines or the ammo. This is especially true in the well known brands such as Glock, Ruger, S&W, etc.  Try a couple of different factory mags before blaming the gun. Mec-Gar makes a good mag but they are one of the few aftermarket manufacturers that I would use. Stay away from the rest. Spend a few extra dollars for factory mags. It's worth it in the long run (one exception is for M1911's as there are some really good aftermarket manufacturers out there).

Some guns can run Blazer and some can't.  I've never had any problem with aluminum (or steel cased) cased ammo but enough people have complained about it to show that not every gun can use it reliably. Try some brass cased ammo.

Clean and lube the gun before the next range trip. I like Break-Free but you should be ok with just about any gun oil.  Dissassemble and clean your magazine too. I had a problem mag at one time that had several burrs inside where the holes were drilled. It was causing jams.  It was an aftermarket brand that I cannot remember.

You're having double feeds? Make sure that your extractor is clean before the next range trip.

Get as high of a grip on the gun as you can.  My stepfather was trying out a new Taurus a few months back and had a weird grip on the gun with about an inch in between the web of his hand and the top of the grip. He was making it stovepipe over and over. I shot the gun without any problems.  Sometimes it is the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm just going to clean it well , try out some different ammo see what happens and then go from there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think I'm just going to clean it well , try out some different ammo see what happens and then go from there.
Post up the update when you do it

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
OP,

I had same problems with my NIB p95.  Eventually had to mail in to Ruger.  They replaced the extractor and a few parts for free.  It is working flawlessly.

From what I've found out during my research, overwhelming majority of owners have no problems with their p95.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a fan of that pistol but I will say I'd doubt it is the pistol.

They are slab flat reliable.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please do . I put 10K through one years ago with out a single hicup , even using some shitty USA mags during the ban.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#18]
One problem that some P95's have is a weak extractor, Ruger will replace for free, or you could take it out slightly bend it a little more and that should take care of it. they had a small batch of extractors that had a weak temper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok , I cleaned the gun last night and the magazines , and shot a couple mags through it this afternoon. I only had one malfunction. Which is a lot better than yesterday. So I'm hoping it's just the break in period and I don't have to go through the process of sending it into ruger or what knot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]
there was a bad batch of extractors that shipped out in p95 pistols a couple years back. maybe you got one. a trip back to ruger will fix it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
there was a bad batch of extractors that shipped out in p95 pistols a couple years back. maybe you got one. a trip back to ruger will fix it.

yea I've heard that , but i just bought mine like a week ago ?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
wow this is the first time i've seen or heard of a ruger P series malfunctioning they've always been pretty damn reliable IME
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My P95 eats everything I feed it. Most reliable gun I own.
X100

I hope you get yours figured out OP

get some WWB ammo and try that
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Was it CCI Blazer Aluminum, or Brass? I've had malfunctions with otherwise 100% pistols using CCI Blazer Aluminum. I don't use it anymore. Failure to extract, mostly - the rims are too soft, I think.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok , I cleaned the gun last night and the magazines , and shot a couple mags through it this afternoon. I only had one malfunction. Which is a lot better than yesterday. So I'm hoping it's just the break in period and I don't have to go through the process of sending it into ruger or what knot.

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what was the single malfuntion you had today?

depending on your experiance level with auto loading pistols, sometimes, FTF problems are caused by not holding the gun properly which effects the cycling of the slide.

it can happen, I've seen it

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully i can get this sorted. I plan on picking up a some WWB ammo from walmart tomorrow, and see what happens. Hopefully It's nothing, or who knows it could just be me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what was the single malfuntion you had today?

depending on your experiance level with auto loading pistols, sometimes, FTF problems are caused by not holding the gun properly which effects the cycling of the slide.
it can happen, I've seen it

Well I don't think I'm limp wristing it because my brother shot it and he shoots a lot more than me and the same thing happened to him. And the malfunction was it failed to cycle all the way. So I'm not sure what to call it but it ejected the spent casing but it did not push the next round into the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was it CCI Blazer Aluminum, or Brass? I've had malfunctions with otherwise 100% pistols using CCI Blazer Aluminum. I don't use it anymore. Failure to extract, mostly - the rims are too soft, I think.

Brass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#30]
P95 owner here.

Yes, you'll get a few malfunctions during break-in, especially with CCI ammo. Mine hated it.

Also, it's not a Glock. It needs to be well-oiled.

Break it in, keep it oiled, and it should be fine. Mt P95 is still my go-to pistol for accuracy to this day...

ETA: I see you were using brass CCI. I was referring to the aluminum. Still, break it in good. If after 200-300 rounds it's still acting up, contact Ruger.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully i can get this sorted. I plan on picking up a some WWB ammo from walmart tomorrow, and see what happens. Hopefully It's nothing, or who knows it could just be me.

Walmart has Federal champion 100 rnd value packs for $19.97, picked some up last night.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Hope you get the bugs sorted out of your pistol.  Those are one sub-$300 option I recommend to people on a budget due to their reputation for reliability.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My old P95 DAO was a flawless running piece , that ate everything I fed her ........but was used when I bought it .
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks in advanced.

I had one, it would feed dirt.. Not very accurate, but dead reliable... Try some different ammo, and if it still acts flakey, call ruger.  They will fix it.  Everyone I know that's had one had the same experience I did.  Good reliable protection.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea I've heard that , but i just bought mine like a week ago ?

I may be wrong, but I don't think they have actually made a new P series in a few years now, maybe even longer than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top