Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 1:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/16/2002 1:28:27 PM EDT by Glock31]
What do you think of their products? I'm looking at the 03 Discovery's since the 4.6 took care of the power problem. My only experience with Land Rover is with a Range Rover a friend has, and it hasn't had a problem. All reports I"ve read show they have excellent reliability with only minor repairs. So, especially Discovery owners, what do you think? Buy it or not? Edited to add: Car-based utes aren't an option, since this will actually see dirt and mud and all that good stuff. [shock]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:31:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Glock31: All reports I"ve read show they have excellent reliability with only minor repairs.
View Quote
Kind of a contradiction, eh? An old boss of mine had one (probably a '98 or so) and had nothing but problems.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:38:17 PM EDT
One of my clients has a Discovery II and has had a litany of issues with it. His 3-year lease is up in August and he is counting the days. Electrical, brakes, fuel injection, dead sound system, cooling system leaks, winter starting. Another fellow in town whom I know through our church has a two-year old Discovery II and it has also been in the shop, but not as much as the leased one, from what I gather through passing conversation. Other than brakes and a defroster issue of some description I have no details. And let me be the first to say "It's British, isn't it? Enough said." Noah, just the messinger
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:06:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/16/2002 2:13:19 PM EDT by Redmanfms]
The British haven't built decent mechanical devices for more than 50 years (basically since WWII, and even then a lot of their stuff was garbage). British cars uniformly suck, doesn't matter the brand or the type of vehicle. Edited to add: We did have a Range Rover for a number of years that was great. It was an '82. We've since had a Discovery and a Defender 90, both of which had "accidents" because Land Rover said that they wouldn't take back the trucks because the problems were, "Obviously the fault of the user." Snide fucking Brits.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:08:37 PM EDT
I bought my wife (like an idiot) a fully loaded 2001 Discovery II. It was without a doubt the [b]BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP[/b] I've ever owned. To their merit, the Land Rover service department was great to deal with. They seemed genuinely interested in taking care of plethora of problems we encountered. We experienced electrical anomalies, MAJOR fluid leaks (all fluids), transmission was replaced. A/C compressor was replaced, both sun roofs leaked, suspension problems and on and on. It was a nightmare! I know two other Land Rover owners (Discovery & Range Rover), both have had endless problems as well. They're beautiful and sporty, but I wouldn't buy another one for half the sticker price. By the way half the sticker price is what it's worth as soon as you drive it off the lot. Land Rovers are one of the worst vehicles when it comes to value retention. Traded my wife's Discovery in for a Lexus. The wife's happy, so now I can get on about my business of buying more guns and those never end accessories. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:10:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:00:51 PM EDT
Does anyone have any comments on the Freelander? I'm thinking of buying one. I like smaller size vehicles. Right now I have a BMW X5, which is just somewhat too deluxe for my tastes. Wife liked it for trips, etc. Since she wants a 5 series sedan (got to give them what they want), I may get a Freelander for myself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:21:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rjroberts: Does anyone have any comments on the Freelander? I'm thinking of buying one. I like smaller size vehicles. Right now I have a BMW X5, which is just somewhat too deluxe for my tastes. Wife liked it for trips, etc. Since she wants a 5 series sedan (got to give them what they want), I may get a Freelander for myself.
View Quote
Ever thought of a Ford Escape? Same size, same overall performance perimeters, plus, it's engineered by people who know what the Hell they are doing. Expensive foreign cars are expensive junk. You DON'T get what you pay for with either British or German (although at least they work, sometimes) cars. If you are interested in a foolish status symbol that probably will spend more time in the shop than on the road, buy the Freelander.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:40:43 PM EDT
I don't know about you guys but I like mine, never had a problem and would buy another. I have two friends who both love theirs as well so go figure...
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:46:01 PM EDT
A friend purchased a Land Rover. I went Lexus (the Lexus version of the Land Crusiser). I still have mine. Guess what he has.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:02:16 PM EDT
Buy a Range Rover. The Discovery was built as an entry level vehicle for the US. It has none of the historical background testing the Rover has. All Land Rover products have problems, as do all American products. The catch is the the Rover parts cost more to replace. The Range Rover is the epitome of four wheel drive, it has a fundamental difference from other four wheel drive vehicles which makes it superior. $65,000 superior probably not. The suspension is much softer than that of American or Japanese off road vehicles. It has some where in the area of 20" atriculation wheel to wheel diagonally. And with quick release sway bar ends it is even more. Other vehicles don't even come close. I have owned jeep, dodge, ford, international, toyota land cruiser, and none can match my Range Rover. As many of the parts are GM, many, you can cross reference to the GM part number @ RangeRover.net. I don't know if you are buying new or not but a '98 Rover with the new Bosch wiring is going pretty cheap on the west coast. They wholesale them out of LA with next to no miles and never off roaded. I see many under $24,000 and a few at $20,000 range. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/16/2002 5:09:07 PM EDT by Sweep]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:31:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:36:22 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not really concerned with repair cost since I usually trade every year or 2 anyway. Since I've got a Toyota now, I'm kind of spoiled in the reliability department.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:13:14 PM EDT
I've known a few people who have owned Range Rovers and they're typical British cars. By that I mean that mechanical breakdowns are somehow considered part of the 'charm' of owning a British marque. You're paying for status symbol and looks. If you lease, you probably won't care too much. For my money, I'd buy another Toyota. Especially if you're actually going to take it off road. There's a reason you see shitloads of Toyotas in Africa and the Middle East and the only Rovers are in old Marvin Perkins videos. If your life actually depends on your truck not breaking down, stick with a Toyota. If you're scoring for punani, get the Rover.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:43:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Observer: I've known a few people who have owned Range Rovers and they're typical British cars. By that I mean that mechanical breakdowns are somehow considered part of the 'charm' of owning a British marque. You're paying for status symbol and looks. If you lease, you probably won't care too much. For my money, I'd buy another Toyota. Especially if you're actually going to take it off road. There's a reason you see shitloads of Toyotas in Africa and the Middle East and the only Rovers are in old Marvin Perkins videos. If your life actually depends on your truck not breaking down, stick with a Toyota. If you're scoring for punani, get the Rover.
View Quote
The reason for buying a Rover is for more off road capability and a more compact size. The Toyota Sequoia's have a traction control system that cuts the engine power when a wheel slips (mud is out of the question) leaving you with no momentum and basically stuck. If I keep the Yota I have to at least put a locker in the rear or something.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:02:27 PM EDT
i have a 2000 Disco and before that i had a 98. my advice is to Lease one. land rovers depreciate at the speed of light. the only car worse is a saab. if you buy one today for $37k next year youll only be able to trade it for 18-20k which is why so many car dealers are starting to stock discoveries. customers want the bling-bling name without paying for it so they buy 2yr old rovers for 16-19k. which is fine till the first time it breaks (and it WILL break) LandRover has a stranglehold on the parts supply and there are so many systems unique to it that you really need an experienced rover mechanic to work on it. LandRover has a relatively small network of dealers in the US and they have told me flat out that they give preferential treatment to dealership customers. if you buy a disco from Joe Smith Ford because he has 15 of them on the lot you do not exist to the Land-Rover service department at your closest dealer. HOWEVER if you buy from a landrover dealer you will experience a level of service i didnt know existed. exquisite. while visiting my family in MD i had the check engine light come on. i drove it for 2 more days including the return trip to Atlanta. when i got it to the dealer it had 3 bent valves a cracked head and a spun bearing in the transfer case. it was making no noise, no smoke and running normally. thats a tough beast. but be warned: it gets 15-18mpg and has all the power and torque of a moped. i dont think ill buy another. and dont bother with the freelander either, its 90% Ford escape with a $10k premium for the name plate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:24:11 AM EDT
An ex-Jaguar mechanic once confided in me that the only reason the British do not manufacture televisions is that they have not yet discovered a way to make them leak oil.
Top Top