Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 11:29:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me start off by stating that I have not actually purchased a vehicle from Carsdirect.com, nor do I know anyone who has.  My opinions are based on things I read while researching car buying last year when helping my girlfriend pick out her college graduation present from grandpa moneybags, and from "window shopping" the carsdirect.com site for something that I'd like to buy if my lazy ass ever gets a job.

They are supposedly not only legitimate but quite easy to work with.  I've checked their site while "window shopping" dozens of times over the past year and have found their prices to be...decent. I've seen them mentioned in mainstream business magazines as examples of forward thinking in the internet economy.

I'm afraid that I don't know the exact details of how purchasing a car from them works.  I think they offer to deliver the car to your home or let you pick it up at a local dealer.  I also think they offer you a fixed price, or offer to put you in contact with an affiliated dealer who will negotiate some.  

Sorry I wasn't more help.  It's one of those things where I thought I understood it until I attempted to explain it someone else.  Suffice it to say that while the deal you get from them may or may not be to your liking, they are a for-real outfit.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased my 2000 Toyota 4Runner via carsdirect.com. Overall a pleasant experience with a few minor incidents.
First let me say that I got the absolute lowest price on my vehicle from them. $29,750 Fully loaded 2000 Toyota 4runner SR5 4wd. The only thing I could not get was leather interior because it was not offered on my "sport highlander" package.(not to be confused with the new Highlander toyota now sells, totally diferent vehicle)
No dealership would come within $1000 of the price carsdirect.com quoted me and which I locked in with a $250 deposit (best $250 I ever spent in my life)
Now here are the "Strings" that were attached:
1- Had to drive waaay out of state to pick up my new vehicle.
2- Had to sell my old vehicle on my own (re: NO Tade In)
3- Carsdirect could not find me a vehicle which had only the features I was quoted my price for and which I put a deposit on, thus they went back and forth with me trying to get me to pay for a vehicle that had more features than I wanted. Since I was in no rush to get the SUV in my hands I told them I would wait 8-10 months for my SUV to "be built" and I would not pay a penny more than my original quote of $29750.
4- I had to be pre-approved for my loan and have the entire amount in check up front to pay for vehicle.
5- I had to provide my own means to get my new SUV from dealership to my home.
Now what really great things carsdirect.com did for me:
1- They gave me the absolute best price on my SUV. I went to 6 dealerships and "fought hard" to get them to sell me an identicle package Toyota, they really would not budge to within $1000-2000 of my carsdirect.com price quote!!!!
2- Carsdirect.com actually paid the dealership I received my vehicle from $31250!!!!
3- I walked into dealership told them who I was and showed them my downloaded receipt for my NEW Toyota. They basically handed me the keys, lamely attempted to get me to pay $1800 for an extended warranty (NOT), told me everything was paid for and to have a nice day.
4- Carsdirect.com told me I would have to pay dealership for SUV. Dealership told me it was paid for and wanted nothing to do with my money. I got to drive around for 6 months before carsdirect.com asked me for payment [bounce] (VIA next day Fed-Ex please). I told carsdirect.com that bank check had expired and I now had to find a way to get money for the car (bank will not loan you money for a used vehicle on a new car loan request). Boy did they shit their pants, (I have to admit that by this time I was just being a bad boy! I should have called them up right after I picked up SUV and asked where to mail the check [devil] )

Bottom Line: carsdirect.com wanted to make the sale so badly that they paid more money for my SUV than I did!!!!!

I 100% recomend them.
Keep ALL of your paperwork and a precice record of whom you speak with and when!!!!
Stay firm and do not budge on the price they quote you, most vehicles can not be had with options only you want, factory sells them as packages and you will pay a premium for them. Carsdirect gives you too much choice in the matter, dealership will not.
Good luck,
Nick

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
P.S.   make sure you actually have the money to pay for vehicle, they can and will reposess. I happened to have the cash laying around when they called me up and just cut them a check. I re-peat Bank will NOT give you new car loan on something you have been driving around for 6 months I knew this beforehand and had all the money for the SUV otherwise I would have gotten up off my lazy ass and called up carsdirect.com and asked them how to pay for SUV after incident with dealership.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
No deal to be found for me:

BMW X5:

CarsDirect.com Price  $47,095

MSRP $47,095

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top