[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First verifiable air to air kill  {American v Japanese] in WWII was by a gunner on board a PBY Catalina  Dec 10 1941.

Several pilots got confirmed (6?) air to air kills at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th. George Welch, heir to the juice company got 4 confirmed that day alone.   George Welch

He did not get the Medal of Honor because he took off without orders.

CW

I suspect we are dicing an orange here. War was not declared on December 7 so hence, it is debatable to when the first air to air kill was made in WWII.

I imagine there are similar questions with what occurred during the Neutrality Patrol of whether or not they count in WWII.

You are incorrect the Japanese declared war on the US during the attack. They were late and had wanted to deliver the declaration before the attack. WWII also started in 1939 not 1941.

CW

Why not 1937?

Because, while there was shooting there was no declaration of war delayed or not.
the issue was resolved diplomatically.

And then we returned the favor with the Flying tigers before Pearl Harbor.

You missed his point. He tried to say that according to some historians a more correct starting date for WW2 is 1937, the year of the second sino-japanese war, more commonly known as the japanese invasion of china.  

My bad, I did not catch the 39 part of the qouted post.  Ya, I missed half of a two sentence qoute.  Chalk it up to being up to long to switch the schedule aqround.

Having said that, you can argue it either way.  As the only "countries" invovled in 37 were various chinese "governments", Japan and Japanese surogates and the area of conflict was limited to a single theatre.

On the other hand all parties involved were later involved in the war, it was a primary cause to the Japanese/US war and that Japan while not actively engaged in combat with the European powers in China the plan was to eventually supplant those powers.  Carrying this logic a bit further you could date the start of the war to 1936 and the Spanish Civil War as American, German Russian English and French nationals were all involved on one side or the other and German and Russian governments were involved.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First verifiable air to air kill  {American v Japanese] in WWII was by a gunner on board a PBY Catalina  Dec 10 1941.

Several pilots got confirmed (6?) air to air kills at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th. George Welch, heir to the juice company got 4 confirmed that day alone.   George Welch

CW

I suspect we are dicing an orange here. War was not declared on December 7 so hence, it is debatable to when the first air to air kill was made in WWII.

I imagine there are similar questions with what occurred during the Neutrality Patrol of whether or not they count in WWII.

You are incorrect the Japanese declared war on the US during the attack. They were late and had wanted to deliver the declaration before the attack. WWII also started in 1939 not 1941.

CW

Why not 1937?

Because, while there was shooting there was no declaration of war delayed or not.

You missed his point. He tried to say that according to some historians a more correct starting date for WW2 is 1937, the year of the second sino-japanese war, more commonly known as the japanese invasion of china.  

My bad, I did not catch the 39 part of the qouted post.  Ya, I missed half of a two sentence qoute.  Chalk it up to being up to long to switch the schedule aqround.

Having said that, you can argue it either way.  As the only "countries" invovled in 37 were various chinese "governments", Japan and Japanese surogates and the area of conflict was limited to a single theatre.

On the other hand all parties involved were later involved in the war, it was a primary cause to the Japanese/US war and that Japan while not actively engaged in combat with the European powers in China the plan was to eventually supplant those powers.  Carrying this logic a bit further you could date the start of the war to 1936 and the Spanish Civil War as American, German Russian English and French nationals were all involved on one side or the other and German and Russian governments were involved.

Excellent save. Yes you can include the Spanish civil war too and IIRC some historians do that too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW

CW

Why not 1937?

Excellent save. Yes you can include the Spanish civil war too and IIRC some historians do that too.

The whole mess really underscores the value of looking at 1914-1944 as a perpetual "30 Years War."  The mess in Asia still complicates things.  31 Years War just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

CW

Why not 1937?

The whole mess really underscores the value of looking at 1914-1944 as a perpetual "30 Years War."  The mess in Asia still complicates things.  31 Years War just doesn't have the same ring to it.

The Allies managed their "victory" in WW1 very poorly. Sevres was a disaster, Treaty of Versailles didn't endure much more than a decade if that long and the League of Nations was a stillbirth. Europe was bound to have a new war, soon.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Allies managed their "victory" in WW1 very poorly. Sevres was a disaster, Treaty of Versailles didn't endure much more than a decade if that long and the League of Nations was a stillbirth. Europe was bound to have a new war, soon.  

I believe it was Churchill who said that Versailles wasn't a peace, it was an armistice for 20 years.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
When did WW2 officially end? President Truman officially declared an end to hostilities by Presidential Proclamation on December 31, 1946

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Joseph Kennedy (brother of JFK) was KIA during a dangerous bombing mission.

Link

Basically, he was flying a radio-controlled "flying bomb," which could not take off under RC. It detonated early in the mission; no remains were recovered.

Tell THAT to the libs who want to "follow the Kennedy legacy!"
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't read all five pages because I am lazy but never become married while in the armed forces.  

Your spouse who is deployed will want to stick his dick in anything that moves and remember that your stay at home wife will be at the NCO club looking for anything to stick into her pussy while you are away.

Bitter post is bitter.

The deck worker of an aircraft carrier (while conducting flight operations) is the most dangerous job postings in the United States Military.

Robert E. Lee went through the West Point Military Academy without accumulating a single demerit... a record not equaled before or after his service.

That's not true at all.

Quoted:
"They couldn't hit an elephant at that distance" were the last words of Major General John Sedgwick right before getting shot in the face.

That's not quite a complete quote, but close enough, I guess.

"All right, my man; go to your place."
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The German WWII MG-34S version of the MG-34 cyclic rate was around 1650 RPM from the original 800-900 rpm.
It looked like an MG-34 but with a MG-42 type trigger group and was 4" or so shorter. Designed to increase rate to something competitive to the mg-42.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Mnemonic.. CLAYMORE backwards.
Enemy
Reversal
Of
Mine
You
Are
Lost
Cause

CLAYMORE
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First verifiable air to air kill {American v Japanese] in WWII was by a gunner on board a PBY Catalina Dec 10 1941.

Several pilots got confirmed (6?) air to air kills at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th. George Welch, heir to the juice company got 4 confirmed that day alone. George Welch

CW

_______________________________________________________________________________________
("We never bombed the palace!"––CIA man keeping to the cover story, (w,stte), a spy story)

Well since the Air Corps carried Welch with a total of 16 kills including the 4 on Dec 7. Your argument is pointless, it counts on his WW2 Talley.

The war started long before Pearl Harbor.  It's silly to say that the attack on Dec. 7 was "pre-war".
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt's CMG-2 version of the SAW was cocked by pushing the trigger assembly and grip forward and pulling it back.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sun Tzu's The Art of War was not written by him, but another guy of same name.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm the most effective killing machine the Army has ever produced.  True story.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
... Among the huge variety of troops serving at Monte Cassino campaign in WWII Italy, probably the strangest was a bear from Iran, called Wojtek. Raised by and enlisted into the 22nd Artillery Supply Company of the Polish II Corps, he carried artillery shells during the battle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats not how trivia works.
First you ask the Question?????????????????
Then you take ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you inform people if they are correct or NOT correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the airspeed of an unladen AIM-7?

Sparrow or Skyflash?
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When did WW2 officially end? President Truman officially declared an end to hostilities by Presidential Proclamation on December 31, 1946

My father was in the USMC in early 1946, served on occupation duty in China from late 46 through 48, and was awarded the WW2 Pacific Victory medal, so I imagine that fits in with the date.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW

You are incorrect the Japanese declared war on the US during the attack. They were late and had wanted to deliver the declaration before the attack.

CW

At the risk of dicing an apple, the Japanese Government does not decide, does not say, what the US government will do nor what its state is in the world.

I like your fruity euphemisms.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
There is no basement at the Alamo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was on a tour there once and some goofy guy was there walking around looking for it because he thought someone hid his bike down there.  Our guide told him the Alamo didn't have a basement and then we all loled right in his face.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on a tour there once and some goofy guy was there walking around looking for it because he thought someone hid his bike down there.  Our guide told him the Alamo didn't have a basement and then we all loled right in his face.

You haven't been around much
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Soviets used dogs strapped with explosives to take out German tanks.  It didn't work out well for them.  They trained the dogs on their own diesel tanks so when the dogs were deployed, they steered clear of the gasoline fueled German tanks and instead went for their own Soviet diesel vehicles.

Also, pigeons were trained to navigate bombs during WWII (link ), but the program never gained much traction.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
There've been all kinds of goofy inventions for warfare. The Civil War saw a footsoldier's "foot canoes," so he could walk across a river. WWI saw a sort of wheeled "tank" in which the individual soldier crouched; it would protect him from bullets and he'd push it along as he advanced in No Man's Land.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The only land attack conducted on the Japanese home islands during WW2 was done by the crew of the USS Barb, a submarine. The first rocket attack launced by a submarine was conducted by the same boat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only land attack conducted on the Japanese home islands during WW2 was done by the crew of the USS Barb, a submarine. The first rocket attack launced by a submarine was conducted by the same boat.

The word 'snorkel' is a German word meaning "snore."
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top