Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/11/2002 2:55:22 PM EDT
... First? My home air conditioning unit normally freezes me out. Not lately. ... Any ideas on lesser-than-expected performance? She's blowing, but not ice cold like usual. What should I watch out for if I have an A/C serviceman pay a visit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:19:02 PM EDT
My AC started a stint of poor performance last week. Apparently all of the refrigerant has leaked out. Somewhere on the outdoor unit. Repairman was supposed to show up yesterday at 7 but was a no-call no-show. Bastard! Slept in a pool of sweat last night. One thing to watch out for when he shows up is hysterical laughing and peeking over the shoulder to see if you're watching him. This is a bad sign. You may need your refrigerant recharged or you may have a slow leak.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:26:30 PM EDT
Arizona? Humidity? What's it up to? About 10%?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:28:41 PM EDT
My central air unit also works very hard in the months of July and August, tommorrow I will be picking up a 15000 BTU window unit that I will install in my den, hopefully this will take some of the strain off of my central unit, almost afraid to open my power bills, but I cant take this heat much longer!!....[:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:43:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:46:11 PM EDT
First thing you may want to try is cleaning the coils on the condenser. Just take your garden hose and carefully spray it off real good. If there are fins on it, you don't want to blast them they bend easily, which would cause an insufficient air flow over the coil.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:51:15 PM EDT
If it's working, just not blowing cold air, you need freon. Should cost about $60, that's what I had to pay last month. If you wanna talk hot and humid come on down to florida on one of our 90/90 days. [USA]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:56:43 PM EDT
I spent three summers apprenticing with my father, who owned his own A/C business and was licensed by the State of Texas. First thing I'd do is check your coils and clean them like SilverBlack suggests if they are dirty and clogged with crap. Be sure to shut off power to the unit before spraying it with water just to be safe. If the coils are not clogged with crap, my next guess would be to check the coolant levels, which you can't really do unless you have the right tools, i.e. a pressure guage and know how to hook it into the system. This is something an A/C guy can do quickly and should be part of a normal service call fee. However, if you're coolant is low, be prepared to spend an arm and a leg to get it charged. Also, if coolant levels are low you'll want to have him check for leaks. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:14:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2002 5:17:46 PM EDT by SilverBlack]
oneshot,you have to use what is called a line tap valve, which pierces the line and gives you a valve port to connect a gauge to.
Top Top