Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/11/2002 3:58:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2002 3:59:14 AM EDT by Merlin]
After almost 12 years, I'm leaving the International Space Station to go work on the National Missile Defense program today. My ISS co-workers gave me a going away party yesterday and, as part of the roast, presented me with "10 reasons why Al is leaving Space Station", presented David Letterman-style. Since you'll need some background to explain some of the 10 reasons, I've added comments in [brackets]: 10 There's no longer an elevator to the fourth floor in 4755. [down for replacement for +4 months; which we means we have to walk up 4 flights of stairs everyday] 9 It's only a matter of time before his truck gets searched at the Arsenal gates. [I work at Marshal Space Flight Center, which is co-located with the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. My truck is a '98 Dodge Ram with about 8" of lift and the all the dirt that goes with it :). When 9/11 hit and the new security measures, it took me +45 minutes to get all of the guns and ammo out of my truck, there's probably still some there I've missed.] 8 His coworkers were just too darn loud. [I'm 6'4" and talk pretty loud] 7 His big Red Dodge will fit in with the local Alaska four-wheelers. 6 He's looking forward to polar bear hunting in Alaska [my new job will require travel to Ft. Greely, AK] 5 What with all the construction near the Jetplex, you can go 4-wheelin' over lunch. [The Jetplex is my new job location] 4 Missiles look a lot like great big bullets. 3 Honeywell has been completely laid to waste and he's looking for a new challenge. [my old job was subcontract management of Honeywell] 2 Somebody spotted wild pigs out by the Jetplex. [I love to hunt pigs!] 1 It was Al who forgot to turn off the coffee pot! [The work coffee pot was left on one night several weeks ago and MSFC security found it; the result is no coffee service for 30 days. BTW, it wasn't me, I leave around 2:30 and the pots are supposed to go off around 3:30 PM] Anyway, I, and my wife, thought it was a pretty funny send off by my former co-workers. On a serious note, it will be very hard to leave the ISS program where I've worked since Aug. '90, its where I met my lovely wife and I've worked with a large number of good people, whom I'll miss. On the good side, I'll have a chance to work in Alaska, with all the brown/grizzly/polar bear hunting that that implies!!! Regards, Merlin
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:11:37 AM EDT
a safe journey to you and yours!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:12:53 AM EDT
Important work. Hope you like AK!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:24:45 AM EDT
Top Top