Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2002 5:06:34 AM EDT
All the anti-cop sentiment makes me wonder....

[b]How many of YOU have gotten bounced off a cop car trunk, taken a ride in the paddy wagon, gotten cuffed and stuffed, or otherwise detained by the police???[/b]

And what was the scenario? (I know you were INNOCENT of course, so just give a brief description of the facts)

Personally, I have never had any contact with the police, other than the occasional speeding ticket.

Or is a speeding ticket you sole beef with the cops???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok guy first let me say just to establish my bonifides I was a MP for three years, Deputy Sheriff for 26 years Patrol Sgt. for 8 years, and this is how and what I feel. When I started,we were Police, helped people and busted bad guys, then a trend started, SWAT , this was good cause it saved cops lives then,it slowly started changing , you were getting these guys who wanted to be commando,green berets, or whatever and they started treating the public like crap.Police marksman, were now snipers,civil rights were lost and its just getting worst, when I'm stopped for speeding its none of the officers business, where I've been or am going, I was speeding, and now he's fishing for a bigger bust ok. Well look somewhere else I ain't doing nothing wrong and don't want to put up with some young snot nose "I don't know anything rookie "in a small village pop 500 acting like he is LAPD and has just watched cops on television, screaming get out of the car get out of the car down on your face down on you face, cause I undid my seat belt and he saw suspicious movement. Thats why for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I got jacked around, had my car searched with no probable cause or suspicion and was threatened with a beating by three Philadelphia Highway cops in 1986. Aside from that, the vast majority of my interactions with police have been positive, even when I've gotten speeding tickets.

In fact, I even e-mailed the Sergeant of the Plano PD Traffic Division to tell him that Officer Ianello was very professional and courteous when he wrote me for going 40 in a 30 zone.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I was once arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for saying the word "ass" in a conversation with a cop that had already cursed me repeatedly. I was pulled over because he thought I was drunk (yeah right) and speeding. While my friend I was driving home was inebriated, I wasn't drunk at all.

The cop got mad because I knew my rights, I was 18 years old and I hadn't done anything illegal. I think it also had something to do with the fact that I'm 6'2" compared to his 5'10" and I could whip his ass in the real world, but that is besides the point.

If he thought "ass" was a bad word, he sure the hell was in for a suprise on the way to the station. I got 20 free minutes of saying everything about his mother that I could think of.

In the end, all the charges were dropped. I spent about 15 minutes in jail before my sister and her law partner showed up and got me out. And because about halfway to the police station I think the cop put two and two together and figured out that my sister is a prominent attorney in town I didn't roughed up near as bad getting out of the car as I did getting in. I even got offered doughnuts, of all things, before I got put in my cell.

I'm not anti-cop though. I think that a few of them abuse their power, a few more have heads bigger than a basketball, but most of them are pretty good guys. I have to admit though, cussin that jackass for 20 minutes was the best $60 I ever spent. Great stress relief. [:)]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
i have. ok, i have a big mouth, and i deserved the ticket for failing to produce proof of insurance (borrowed car with permission).

i didnt deserve being shoved around and screamed at while he fondled his glock, or the imaginary charges which magically disappeared when i hired a shyster. i didnt deserve to have the video evidence tampered with, either.

but i got off easy. he shot some guy in jail 6 months later. serious anger management issues.

generally, theyre good people doing a tough job, but every once in a while...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was in high school (11th grade) I had a "parttime" job at a gas station working 56 hours a week.  Between school and the job I was always half asleep.  One night a couple of fellows came in when I was manning the station by myself.  This was back in the days when gas stations were full service.  One kept me busy under the hood checking the oil, checking the radiator coolant level, etc., etc.  I guess I wasn't too smart and certainly not too alert, cause the other guy was clearing out the register while I was busy.

I of course discovered that I had been robbed and reported it to the police.  The next day they question me.  It was like a scene out of some spy movie.  I was seated in the middle of a dark room with a bright light on me, and was surrounded by all these cops, who I could not see.  I was scared shitless.  They kept asking me questions about the robbery.  Finally, one asks another, "What do you think, Billy Bob?" (or whatever his name was, I don't remember).  From somewhere else in the room I hear "I think he's lying."

At this point I figured my grits were cooked and I guess I started crying.  Not proud of it, but this was a bit much.  Finally, somebody said I had nothing to worry about if I was innocent, I calmed down, and they let me go.

They never found the robbers, and I decided I didn't need the job that bad, so I quit.  I can't fault the police for any wrong doing, but for a young, innocent, pimply-faced youth in a small town it was quite an ordeal.  I guess now-days this would rank about 0.1 on a scale of 1 to 10.  The times have certainly changed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a couple of interesting experiences.  Those, along with my education, have taught me three things.

1) Shut your mouth
2) Shut your mouth
3) Shut your mouth

Silence can't be misquoted or misinterpreted.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
@ 19yrs old 2 bouncers threw one of us out the back door and beat him silly and robbed him of his watch,and wallet.NEEDLESS to say,we all came back the next Friday night,hoping the same bouncers would be there,O'my gosh they were!So we cunningly entered 2 at a time till we 'ALL' got inside.Then we all had 1 drink,and it made us remember what happened to our bud the week before...snikersniker..needless to say the bouncers went down first,then establishment,it needed redecorating anyway.Luckily the paddy wagons showed up about 10 minutes after we finished redecorating.They did'nt think we did a bad job,after hearing our tale.After a few of us got locked up,we had to call our dad's,""luckily"" a few worked in that particular district's police dept.= a walk!But getting dads out of bed to go back to work to pick up their sons and their buddies was hell to pay.OO'd to the Cask'n'Flagon,they should'nt have hired those thug bouncers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quietshootr/ your right, anything you say will be twisted around and used out of context for a conviction, or anything else, searches, detention waiting for a drug dog ect,ect.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
There used to be this one cop in Aberdeen, Md. who had it out for me. The reason he didn't like me was that he had accused me of doing something I hadn't done, arrested and charged me, and only then realized that I could prove my innocence. Simultaneously, another of the cops had the actual perp locked up with a confession. I gave him a raft of shit about it (through my attorney) and tried to get him fired, but they only gave him some time off. After that, he pulled me over every time he saw me. Finally, after years of being harassed by this jerk, he wrote me a ticket for making a right turn on red - [b]at an intersection where it was legal[/b]!  He never claimed I didn't come to a stop, just that the turn was illegal at that intersection. Well, the turn was legal, and my lawyer sued the town police, the town, and the cop for harassment. I even had some of the cops testify about how he had been out to get me since the first incident. He was fired and the suit was immediately dropped. He now works at 7-11 and still hates me, but I just don't go in there. I never had any more problems with the Aberdeen PD after that. Hell, I went to high school with most of them.
I do know plenty of people that have had problems with other Maryland police, especially the state police. Luckily, I live in Pa. now, and every experience I have had with Pa. Troopers has been excellent. They have my complete support. I shoot with a few of them regularly. They hate Maryland state cops too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
"I didn't do it"
"You didn't see me do it"
"Call my lawyer" [:D]

(Edited to add ,are you kidding,check out this thread)
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=130221[/url]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
"Run-in " Is a interesting way to pose your question, nicely done.

I know my rights.

I choose to remain silent other than to says.
I have had "run-in's" with the several enforcement agencies, some good some bad.

Live by the sword die by the sword
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I stand by my rights under the 5th Ammendment.

That said, a lot of my resentment (for lack of a better word) of cops is based on what I see on TV, conversations I've had with officers both on and off duty, and having spent 6 weeks going through the local "Citizens Police Academy" to better get to know my local law enforcement officers and their organization.

What I learned was both good and bad.  I saw that there are some good officers, but overall the momentum of the organization was going to crush that out of them.  

I also got to meet some of the the gung ho, "kick ass" types and went on a ride along with one.  Lo and behold, he kicked somebodies ass before the night was out.  

Based on my experience in 42 years, I think cops, as a practice, and encouraged by the courts, ignore the 4th ammendment.  I believe the ability to sieze assets without a conviction is a corrupting influence and undermines confidence in the organization we have to trust to enforce our laws.

Further I believe the majority of cops, (not the ones on this board, but the ones on the street) would very much like it, if I were disarmed and never allowed the means of effective self-defense.

I think the war on drugs was a bad idea in concept, and is a collosal failure in excecution.  It is used to further erode our rights, encourage the practice of asset seiziure without the process of a trial and leads to ever increasing "arms races" among law enforcement.

The arms race not only includes the accoutrements of your "Podunk PD SWAT" team, but ever more sophisticated survelliece devices, GPS trakers, multi-million dollar, FLIR equipped helicopters to chase 14 y.o's with 10 bucks worth of crack and other such para-military/James Bond equipment all of which, to paraphrase, "can and will be" used to invade the privacy of the law abiding.  

I think this sums up the basis of most folks on this boards concerns with LE.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was 19 or so, me and my buddy were in a car making out with our girlfriends.  Drunk.  Beer cans under the car.  Cops arrive.  I at first give them some attitude, but then start yes-sirring when I realize that (1) they have us for DUI, as I am drunk and sitting in the driver's seat, (2) they have us for open container, underage drinking and littering, and (3) my friend's girl is like 14 or something.  Anyway, a cop from my old high school shows up, gives me a little lecture, and lets us go.

Another time, my teenage friends and I were wandering around drunk.  The cops stopped us.  They had us for underage drinking and for being out after curfew.  I gave them attitude and tried to pick a fight with them.  They were worried about me - that I had too much too drink - and told my friends to take me home.

Those are my experiences being "oppressed by the man."
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#15]
As a young man in a small suburb of Chicago, that just got a newly installed police force, I got hassled all the time.  

They always wanted to see ID, and I never carried any in H.S.   That in part got me hassled by the 'man.   I got searched, pat down, whatever you call it. Even when I worked at the local gas station, comming home thru a "bad" part of the town, I got searched.  

Its not illegal to walk around with no ID.  When you tell the police that at a young age, they get pissed.

When I drove around- I got pulled over, and me and the car got searched. This one blond hair cop had a hard on for me in my town.
One time I had a brand new PC in the box, and it was raining hard, the cop wanted to search the PC, outside in the rain.  I told him no way, that machine costed me $1300 to build, and I wasn't going to see it ruined.

On the same stop, I had all of these time cards for a internet cafe I worked at. He asked me about those, I told him, and I gave him $50 worth of them for his "troubles"
Let me go after that.  
That is one thing good about living around Chicago, there are enough police around you can bribe to get out of trouble.  

Since I have gotten older, and wiser, and a newer car- I do not have the same troubles with the po-po as a youth.  

Still,
me going thru a search was not fun.  Most, if not all of my feeling towards police come from my youth.

I know now, from then, the police are not your friends, they are not there to protect you from harm.  Just there to justify their existance, and find the next "bust".  

c-rock
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Street rules are as follows:

1. You mouth off seriously, you get one head  
  feeny.
2. You spit, you get a night stick in the mouth.
3. You resist you get a couple whacks upside
  the head.
4. If you take a punch you get knocked out.
5. If you kick, or try martial arts you get  
  a free ride in an ambulance.
6. Use a weapon and you go to the morgue.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been pulled over 18 times for DWB (driving while black), but any of you that have met me know that I'm about as white as white can be (picture arian features, NOT mentality).  Anyway, my old car was a Honda Prelude and it was suped up into a car that looked and performed VERY nicely.  Cops loved pulling me over for driving it.

18 pull overs, 1 ticket  and 17 times I'm asked if I consent to a search.  17 times I say no.  17 times the cop tells me that I'll be arrested if I don't allow him.  After flashing Suffolk, Nassau, State Trooper and NYPD business cards, I'm allowed to leave without a foul word.  

Only the state troopers have been complete and utter fucking assholes.  I wish athletes foot and crotch rot on all of them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I was pulled over near Sierra Vista AZ returning from a dump of a bar outside town.  I was looking for my buddy who was supposed to helping reload ammo for a shoot the next day.  The bastard was out chasing wimmin.  Between the time I had entered the parking lot, drove around it and left a sobriety checkpoint had been set up between said dump and town.  My right headlight burned out just as I left the parking lot.  This did not go unnoticed half a mile down the road.
Being a single soldier in the Army, I kept my guns at my buddies house or in my car.  I had quite a load in the back seat.  I got to the checkpoint and was waved over.  When asked what I was doing leaving a bar with a carload of guns I told the officer that I was looking for my buddy who was supposed to be helping me load ammo for a 3 gun match tomorrow.  Apparently this was good enough for the cop because I got a warning on the headlight and was let go.
He remarked that they thought I was the unluckiest bastard alive to leave a bar and have a headlight burn out within sight of a sobriety checkpoint.  It's a good thing I was sober.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I forgot the one good time I had with a run-in with the law.  

Three of us went to a hotel party in H.S.  It got busted, but we ran out of there. I grabbed a 1/5 of southern comfort on the way out.  We were drinking it on the way home, and my one buddy passes out cold. We started carrying him on the side of the road, next to a forest perserve.  

Cherry's go on, all of us are smashed.  We didn't even notcie the lights, the cops had to tap us on the shoulders.  
These were Cook County Sheriff's. I give those guys credit, they are cool cops. Not many around, and you don't see them.

They picked our sorry asses up that night, drove us to our passed out friends home, and dropped us off.  

Thing is, they did the full treatment. Lit up the cherry's, and even hit the siren for a sec.  My friend got in trouble, but it is a funny story to tell now.

These are the same cops that drive on the hwy, doing 90 mph, and everyone just gets in back of them to follow.

c-rock
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I KNEW it!!! I hang out with a bunch of hooligans!!!!

j/k

[:D]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's it exactly... few years back while living in Florida I sort of matched the description of an individual who had apparently attempted to commit or had committed rape armed with a weapon.

I was taking an evening walk down one of the old railroad right-of-ways that had been converted to paved trails. The trail was wooded, I walk around a curve and I've suddenly got cops... lots of them.  There were 6 or 7 plus a dog... Hands on their guns, they order me to lay down, spread eagle.  Needless to say, I do.  They grab me,  bounce me around, pat me down, take my 2 Spyderco's and ID, then apply the cuffs.  

They start with the where have I been, what have I been doing...  I only say I'm out for a walk.  Then the say I match this description, they've got witnesses, blah, blah... The only thing I would say was get your witness.  More cops keep arriving and now I've lost count of how many are there.  They spend 15 minutes badgering me for my friggin' life story but I don't say anything.  Since I don't have a clue what's going on at this point, saying anything may be fatal, so I keep my mouth shut.  I'm trying to figure how much a lawyer is gonna cost me.  Finally another cop car arrives, witness in the back seat.  Cop gets out and tells my new friends to let me go.  Wrong guy...

They were apparently looking for a male, 6' tall, blue jeans and sleeveless denim shirt, waist length hair, tattoo on forearm... well, that's me.  Sorta.  My hair wasn't quite to my waist and my shirt was short sleeve and my left arm is a full sleeve tattoo.  But close enough for them...

My one and only interaction with the police.  I realize they were doing their job, and I did look like who they wanted, but I never forgot what it's like to have a bunch of overweight cops jump on me while their dog was snarling in my face.  That's the stuff of nightmares...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was in college I was stopped by a local cop for walking with an open container. I think he thought I was underage and he had stoppeda minor in procession.  

He asked for my ID so I reached in the inside jacket pocket.  As I did he turned his back to me. Since I didn't' want him to think I was pulling a weapon I stopped and waited for him to turn around before producing my ID.  This seemed to piss him off and this set the tone for the remainder of the event.

I answered all of his questions with a yes sir no sir but he seemed to be trying to provoke me into a argument. First he couldn't believe that I had my driver license but no student ID and gave plenty of shit about it.  He accused me of lying about my address, approximately 200 yards from where he stopped me. He asked me several times if I thought he was stupid. After checking my friends ID he told him to leave. My friend walked to the corner to wait but the cop told him to keep walking.  I believe the quote was, "all I want to see is assholes and elbow get out of here."  My friend walked a little further and stopped. Later, my friend said he hesitated to leave because he thought the guy was going to give  me a beating.

Admittedly I did have a open container of beer and I deserved a ticket but this guy was an ass.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay,

This story isn't mine, but from a good friend. My good friend, we'll call him John, used to be a heavy drinker in college. One evening he passes out after pulling his car over to the side of the Interstate, but he wasn't to the side. He had pulled over two lanes to his right, but this left him in the center lane of the freeway...stopped and passed out. The local police come and knock on his window and wake him up then begin to arrest him after he miserably fails a field sobriety test. He tells his friend that he doesn't want to go to jail alone, so John's friend punches a cop and gets to go to jail with John. Now, that is a true friend.
BTW#1, John got his 3rd DWI and his friend pled down to a misdemeanor charge and they both went home in 3 days.
BTW#2, I was not John's friend in the above story.
BTW#3, I am not John.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[b]How many of YOU have gotten bounced off a cop car trunk, taken a ride in the paddy wagon, gotten cuffed and stuffed, or otherwise detained by the police???[/b]
View Quote

Here's my [b]1[/b] account of getting pulled over.  I was driving back to school late at night after visiting my girlfriend.  State trooper pulls me over for "weaving".  Maybe, I don't know; I was tired.  Then he insists he smells marijuana in my car.  There was not, and had never been, marijuana in my car.  I have never touched the stuff.  He performs a thorough search of the passenger compartment, tossing a bunch of stuff from my backpack (like a $50 calculator) on the grass.  Finds my ruger .357 in the trunk.  It's stored legally, so he can't get me that way.  Instead he calls in the serial and says it's stolen.  Which was total BS because I bought the thing New In Box from a reputable gun shop.  I politely asked him to check the serial again, but that really p!ssed him off.  God forbid I should question his [s]penis[/s]authority.  It cost me a night in jail and 6 months of probation for Receiving Stolen Property.  The POS public defender talked me into pleading guilty to get off lighter; he said they would convict either way.  The prosecution never produced the weapon or demonstrated that it was really stolen.  They later told me it was destroyed; I guess the original owner didn't want it back?!?!?!?  Did I mention that I never recovered the stuff that the trooper tossed out on the ground when he was searching my car?

[size=6]Bitter?  Oh yeah.[/size=6]

I have met [b]a lot[/b] of cops who aren't assholes, but it only takes one prick with a badge to ruin your whole week.  Or your whole life.  I count myself lucky so far:  I've only been screwed over once, and that was almost 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#29]
A run-in ?...NO... more like a run-AWAY.....more than 80% of cops like the donuts tooo much.Really .... you should try it just for [red]fun[/red],[;)]get into a foot chase with the cops if'n your a young'n and agile. I'd swear I cut at least 1-2 seconds off my best 50yrd.dash time of 5.2secs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#30]
If you civilians weren't guilty of something to begin with the police wouldn't have stopped you.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been arrested twice for suspicion of DUI.  The strange thing is that I've never even tasted alcohol much less ever been drunk.  I don't know if the officers were just that incompetent at sobriety checks or were trying to meet an arrest quota or were trying to make money for a friend that drives a tow truck.  Just because someone's face is red (broken A/C in my van), have hands that shake (loved seeing the officer scream "why are you nervous?  what did you do?" after seeing that), eyes that twitch when looking to the extreme left or right (doesn't anyone over the age of 40 start developing that problem?), slurred speech, or trouble hearing (had three ear infections when I was in Korea and what does a hearing problem have to do with suspected consumption of alcohol?).  In the last "run-in," I ended-up face down on the pavement in August after the officer asked if I had any weapons in the car.  I responded positively, because I had my unloaded and disassembled (needed a part) Kel-Tec in my console.  I've still got a little bit of a tough place on my chin from where I was burnt by the pavement.  I also ruined a uniform.  I think I was more upset about the uniform than I was about getting yelled at an threatened.  I know it should be the other way around.

I've learned a few lessons.  Keep your weapon separate from your "papers," and if they ask if you have a weapon, then lie.  I don't like that, but I also don't like being near someone with a gun in a near panic.  Also when it comes to DUI checkpoints, it's easier "to go w/ the flow" and let the officers do their little powertrip and make a little money for a tow truck driver than it is to fight it.  You'll get off when you get to the station.z
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#32]
For the large number of encounters that the public have on a daily basis with law enforcement, this is a very few number of complaints.  Now that is not to say that there are no bad cops out there.  Sadly there are bad ones.  However, keep in mind that for every one bad incident that you have had with law enforcement, cops often face that many incidents and more every day with the public.  Ever wonder why cops sometimes say "I hate people."?  Because cops often have to deal with jerk people and deal with many more bad people than you will ever deal with bad cops.  

If you aren't guilty of the crime that they are investigating, then why not help them out?  If you didn't do the crime then you have nothing to fear by talking.  It certainly is your right to refuse to talk but it wastes time that could be spent finding the guilty person and, like it or not, it makes you look guilty.  Think about this.....if your son, daughter, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, sister, brother, mom, dad, or whatever were tortured and murdered....wouldn't you want the cops to investigate as throughly as they could?  

Yes there are bad cops out there.  Question for everyone.....what are you doing to help them be better cops??  

If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Instead he calls in the serial and says it's stolen.  Which was total BS because I bought the thing New In Box from a reputable gun shop.  I politely asked him to check the serial again, but that really p!ssed him off.  God forbid I should question his [s]penis[/s]authority.  It cost me a night in jail and 6 months of probation for Receiving Stolen Property.  The POS public defender talked me into pleading guilty to get off lighter; he said they would convict either way.  
View Quote

A plea bargain is moral treason if you are innocent. I would rather spent my life in prison that plead guilty to something which I did not do.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes there are bad cops out there.  Question for everyone.....what are you doing to help them be better cops??  

If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem.
View Quote

Agreed. Everyone gets the police force they deserve, through their action or inaction.

Dont like it? Run for Sheriff or city council, sit on a citizens reveiw boards, volunteer for grand jury service, elect better DA's and Judges, pass state laws mandating specific training requirments, ect.

You can always do the job yourself too and show the "bad" cops how it's supposed to be done.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A plea bargain is moral treason if you are innocent. I would rather spent my life in prison that plead guilty to something which I did not do.
View Quote

I absolutely agree now.  Then, I was 18 and scared to death: I'd already been arrested for a BS charge, and the pubic defender was telling me that they would get a conviction no matter what.  Now, of course, I understand that it is his job to make plea bargains.  A real lawyer who would have ripped the "case" agains me to shreds.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

i reported the jerk to his corporal, and wrote a letter to the supervisor at the ADC praising his people's professional behavior.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#37]
HOW THINGS WORK IN THE REAL WORLD!

Year - 1982
Me and a buddy of mine got thrown in the clink in Myrtle Beach, SC for possession of two Black Cat fire crackers (both in my pocket). We were in the military at the time.

We did not set off fireworks at any time. Possession only.

Cops there had a bad reputation for putting trumped up charges on military personnel in order shake them down for cash. [:(!]Or so I'm told.

We were told we would have to pay a fine of $250 each or sit in jail for 3 days (they knew we had to report back to base the next day). Since we were unable to contact anyone with cash, they let us go 9 hours later and reduced the fine to the $78 I had in my wallet and dropped the charges. Scumbags knew we wouldn't say anything because if you get arrested for ANYTHING while in the military and your CO finds out about it...you're in real deep crap.
I was young and I learned the invaluable lesson of how things work in the real world.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, not really a police run in. I was at the Canadian border in my new vette and at the Canuck end the guard asked me some questions.  He asked who owned that car.  I said it was mine and even showed him the paperwork.  The idiot asked me 5 MORE times who owned the car.  I finally got fed up and told him he was an idiot and a Jackass and if he had a hearing problem.  Of course he pulls a power trip and has my car searched. Nada zilch. Filed a complaint and heard nothing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok guy first let me say just to establish my bonifides I was a MP for three years, Deputy Sheriff for 26 years Patrol Sgt. for 8 years, and this is how and what I feel. When I started,we were Police, helped people and busted bad guys, then a trend started, SWAT , this was good cause it saved cops lives then,it slowly started changing , you were getting these guys who wanted to be commando,green berets, or whatever and they started treating the public like crap.Police marksman, were now snipers,civil rights were lost and its just getting worst, when I'm stopped for speeding its none of the officers business, where I've been or am going, I was speeding, and now he's fishing for a bigger bust ok. Well look somewhere else I ain't doing nothing wrong and don't want to put up with some young snot nose "I don't know anything rookie "in a small village pop 500 acting like he is LAPD and has just watched cops on television, screaming get out of the car get out of the car down on your face down on you face, cause I undid my seat belt and he saw suspicious movement. Thats why for me.
View Quote

Geez, did you get to work with any good guys or guys you got along with? If you didn't like your job why did you stay? All we need is disgruntled cops out there. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I've dealt with police on 3 occassions, and only 1 was a "run-in."  Some friends and I had staged a sit-in at an abortion mill run by a doctor who had his medical license revoked, yet was still performing abortions (illegally).

Naturally we were detained by security as expected.  When the Cleveland police arrived, they were less than professional.  We did not resist.  Being handcuffed behind my back, the police officer stood me up, put his foot in front of my legs and then pushed, causing my head to hit a desk and my face to meet the floor rather hard.  They dragged me to the paddy wagon and decided to turn me horizontal to throw me in.  Before they did that, they let go of me and dropped me on the asphalt (and no, I didn't accidentally slip out of their grip.  They let go).

At the station the lady booking me wasn't much better, calling me all sorts of names (that can't be repeated in a family forum such as this [:I]) and telling me that I had just forfeited all my rights by being arrested, etc.
Am I bitter?  Nah.  I want to be a cop now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Me and a buddy of mine got thrown in the clink in Myrtle Beach, SC...
View Quote

I've lived in SC all of my life, and I couldn't begin to tell you how many abusive cop stories I've heard from Myrtle Beach.  The fine that is exactly what you have in your pocket story is a popular one.  My 30 year-old great-nephew recently got a $250 ticket there for not wearing his seatbelt.  He was wearing it, but the officer said it wasn't tight enough.  The last time I was in Myrtle Beach, I almost got arrested for possession of alcohol.  I bought a case of beer while at the grocery store for the couple we were sharing a house with, and when I was walking back, a cop stopped me and wanted proof that I was at least 18.  I was in my late 40's at the time.  I haven't been back.z
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#43]
How about this for the "Biggest Asshole" story?

I don't have any problems with LEOs in general, they deal with the scum of the earth all day and get paid little for it.  And like every other profession, there are some less professional than others.  But generally, I think they get a bad rap.

......Now to the story......

My old college room mate can to town to visit his family and we went out to a strip club to celebrate my birthday as well.  As I am driving past two squad cars in the parking lot, my friend hangs out the passenger window and yells... "DIE YOU FUCKING PIGS!".

My brother and I gazed at him in utter disbelief as the two LEOs rode my bumper for a mile or so until four other cars joined them.  When the lights went off, I pulled over, stepped out and produced my DL and insurance card.

They completely ignored me and went to the other side of my truck and yanked my "friend's" ass out of the car, slammed his face on the hood and asked him  "Do you have any thing to say now funny man?"  To which he responded a polite "No".

They took all three of us downtown.  I passed the DUI tests so they let me go with a bogus wreckless driving charge (improper lane change, speeding, etc.) and released my brother after charging him with public drunk.  My friend?  They let him stay in jail that night.  

My only complaint is the false wreckless driving charge, but given the circumstances, I am luck I did not get charged with something else or something worse did not happen..

Goes to show it is important to pick your friends wisely.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've had a couple of interesting experiences.  Those, along with my education, have taught me three things.

1) Shut your mouth
2) Shut your mouth
3) Shut your mouth

View Quote

or you could baffle them with this
"F*** a Duck in a hole with a mole"

they will wonder just what they hell you are on.... mabey this is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I don’t have any real exciting stories of personal experiences, but a few interesting things have happened.

I was in High School it was the middle of the winter in Connecticut (circa 1978). We were getting pounded buy a good old Blizzard. I looked out the living room window and saw what looked like a body in the snow bank across the street. I went out side and sure enough it was a guy out cold on the roadside of the snow bank. My first thought was that there might have been a hit and run. I yelled at him and got no response. I could tell he was breathing but he was totally non-responsive. I ran in and called 911. Now let me add that we lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with a non-existent crime problem. The police officer that responded opened the guy’s coat and then commented to me “He has not been shot”. I found this extremely bizarre.  The cop called an ambulance and when it arrived my mom was now out in the road with us. The EMTs asked if there was somewhere they could bring the guy to get him out of the weather so they could work on him. My mom said to bring him into our family room. Why the EMTs didn’t load the guy in their rig is beyond me. After getting him inside and out of the weather he started to come around. It became evident that he was just plain stinking drunk and had passed out on his walk home. It got real interesting as this guy came around; he started to spout all sorts of profanity. Most of which was directed at my mom (a nurse who was trying to help). The responding cop (now there were others in the house) told the guy to shut his mouth. The drunk stepped it up a notch and also directed the comments at the responding cop. During all this time the drunk was flat on his back on the floor. The cop now picks up his foot and puts the heal of his shoe over the drunks face and tells him that if he doesn’t shut up he is going to stomp on his face. So the drunk grabs the cop’s foot. Immediately the cop goes for his weapon. Some may say it was a retention thing, but I was there and I saw the look on his face this cop was pissed. Never again would I let a circus like that into my house. I respect the cop’s desire to have the drunk shut his mouth in the presence of my mom but his knee jerk over reaction to his threat being countered was out of line. The other cops in the room shifted their focus from the drunk to controlling their fellow cop. The drunk turned out to be someone that we knew from the neighborhood, at the time he was so messed up it was hard to recognize him. Weather the cops knew his history or not I don’t know but the guy was a former LRRP who was a decorated Vet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Same town now 1986 and I am driving my brand spanking new red VW Sirocco 16V down a main drag in town. I pulled up to a traffic light and while I was waiting for it to turn green a guy pulls up next to me (on the right) in a Brown Chevy Monty Carlo SS. He has a woman in the passenger seat and is gunning the engine. The light turns green and we both pull away, nothing outrageous but he is matching my speed and I refuse to let him get ahead of me. My 4 cylinder is just as fast as his V8 and I’m sure my car can out handle his boat any day. This continued for a mile or two until I turned left and he followed. It was no longer a two-lane road and there was no room to pass. I was on the way to see if a friend was home. I drove to my friend’s house with the Monty in tow. My friends car was not in the driveway so I knew he was not home. Up until this point I thought this guy in the Monty might be going the same way as me. So I made a series of right hand turns to head back the way I came. The Monty followed so now I was sure something was up. Being young and cocky I pulled over and stopped and decided to see just what was up. At this point all I could think was that this guy was trying to impress the lady in the passenger seat. The Monty pulled up behind my car and the guy got out. I hesitated for a minute and then saw him reach back to his right hip. My first reaction was “OH Shit, Gun”. My Browning HP was home and all I had was my Carry Permit. Kind of like bullets with no gun. Well not that I was in a good position to do anything any way, but a lot goes through your mind in an Oh Shit situation. Anyway it quickly became apparent that he reached for and pulled out his wallet. He walked up to me flipped open his wallet and showed me his Badge, he was a town cop. I almost laughed in his face. I bit my tongue, listened to his lecture about how I was driving fast in his neighborhood and that he would be keeping an eye out for me. He went back to his car, and I drove away laughing. As far as I was concerned he started the whole thing and got pissed when he found out that my car was faster and that he was shown up in front of his lady friend/wife. Now if I were a real wacko/badass I think his actions were stupid. No radio, and a person in jeopardy in his car.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
However, keep in mind that for every one bad incident that you have had with law enforcement, cops often face that many incidents and more every day with the public.  Ever wonder why cops sometimes say "I hate people."?  Because cops often have to deal with jerk people and deal with many more bad people than you will ever deal with bad cops.
View Quote

If you're burned out on your job to the point where you have a desire to abuse the general public to make yourself feel better, it's time to quit and get your ass in counseling.

If you aren't guilty of the crime that they are investigating, then why not help them out?  If you didn't do the crime then you have nothing to fear by talking.
View Quote

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.....OH GEEZE! AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
DID HE REALLY SAY THAT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
WE HAVE A WINNER, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! OHHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[>:/]

It certainly is your right to refuse to talk but it wastes time that could be spent finding the guilty person and, like it or not, it makes you look guilty.
View Quote

Look guilty? Look guilty? It's a fucking right! Maybe you've heard of it, the Fifth Amendment. Stop me if I'm confusing you, buddy. They can take all the time they like, but I'm not giving them anything they can twist and hang a case on. Fuck that: been there, done that, didn't like it with Air Force OSI investigators holding a grudge.

Have you ever been jerked out of your car for something you didn't do and pushed down on the hood by a dildo with the rim of his uniform cap crushed down like a WWII bomber pilot? Have you ever had your possible upcoming asskicking calmly discussed by three uniformed cocksuckers [b]literally in jackboots[/b], those knee high boots that only cavalry officers, dominatrixes and Philadelphia Highway cops in patrol cars wear? If you haven't, then you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?

Philly Highway Prick: "Where's the drugs?"
Me: "I don't have any drugs. I don't do drugs."
Philly Highway Prick: "Where's the money for drugs then?"
Me: "I told you I don't do drugs. I'm here to pick a guy up for work."
Philly Highway Prick: "Where's the drugs?"

Meanwhile, he's got my fingers interlaced behind my head and he's gripping my knuckles, squeezing them and emphasizing each question with a judicious rap on the back of the skull.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Every cop I've ever interacted with in the flesh has been an egotistical asshole.

I was on state street in madison on halloween one year and walked up to one of the JBT's and asked him how he likes patrolling this zoo. He said, and note the quotes: "piss off".

What a fucking prick.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I realize that my last post on this thread might have come off a little harshly. That was not my intent, but I was shocked by Coltrifle's apparent naivete regarding police/policed interactions.

Is Coltrifle a cop himself? Does anyone know? That's all I can think of that would explain his attitude: having that magic piece of tin that admits you to the club. No parking tickets, no speeding tickets, no probable cause/probable suspicion-less searches of your vehicle and person, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Most cops suck, period. Just about every one I know was some church mouse in school who got picked on, and now becoming a cop is some type of revenge on their shitty little world.

With all the child molesters, rapists and other scum, don't tell me you're "doing your job" for writing me at 2am for a burned-out taillight bulb, looking for the big DUI bust. Stop being a lazy f--k and get the real criminals.
[puke]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top