Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 12:58:57 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/06/04/MN121078.DTL&type=printable[/url]
Check the URL for pictures.

Coach Jesus statues hot
Almighty shown indulging in several popular U.S. sports
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 4, 2002
©2002 San Francisco Chronicle.

A white-robed Jesus swings a golf club, slaps a hockey puck, shoots a jump shot and skis down a hill -- all for $19.95 apiece.

They're called Jesus Inspirational Sports Statues. Each features Jesus Christ engaged in one of 12 different sports, from soccer to track to gymnastics, with two children.

The hockey statue shows the Almighty wearing skates. Another one has him fitted with skis to his sandals and poles. There's even a BMX biking and a Rollerblading statue, with the kids wearing protective pads and helmets. Jesus is on foot behind them, keeping a watchful eye.

The imported color statues, about 6 inches tall, have been a hit, with 2, 000 sold in the past few months, said Frank Pollicino of Nesconset, N.Y., who sells them and other goods on his Web site www.catholicshopper.com.

"These really have outsold everything that I do," Pollicino said today from his Long Island store. "This is going to sit on a child's dresser where normally you have images of God. I think it's an inspiration to people."

The Web site calls the statues "the perfect gift for every young Catholic athlete or coach. . . . a wonderful way to reinforce Jesus 'as friend' in everyday activities."

The sports include such all-American mainstays as baseball, basketball and football. The football statue shows a helmeted boy handing a pigskin to Jesus, who, in turn, is about to be tackled by another boy.

There's golf, with Jesus standing behind a girl and showing her how to swing a club.

Other statues feature ballet (only the girls are wearing tutus) and martial arts. Tennis and volleyball will be featured in new statues this summer.

Van Harvey, professor emeritus of religious studies at Stanford University, voiced concern today about the statues, which he called "culture Christianity kitsch."

"It raises the whole question about what religion is for in a culture," said Harvey, who specializes in modern Western religious thought.

"This, in my view, is something like just the endorsement of our sports life. In one sense, it's harmless. In another sense, you'd think Christianity would raise questions about our daily activities."

As for skeptics or naysayers who might deem the statues inappropriate or even blasphemous, Pollicino said, "I don't see anything wrong with it."

The statues have been featured in Sports Illustrated and other media, which sent sales skyrocketing, Pollicino said.

Last year, before all the attention, he sold only two, in addition to his usual religious-themed merchandise of patron-saint medals, angel night lights, confirmation gifts and crucifixes.

The statues got some ribbing from late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien, who as part of a routine held up a few of his own that showed Jesus kicking dirt on people, playing solitaire on the computer, riding a bull and stealing from the locker of New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.

"I did send him a letter saying you shouldn't make fun of an image of God," Pollicino said. "I thanked him for the business but said no thanks."

cont
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The hand-painted resin statues are made in China at the direction of Devon Trading Co. of North Caldwell, N.J., which sells Catholic gifts and artifacts.

"We're really excited about it," Susan Orzech, the company's vice president,

said today. "They're a great contemporary gift for kids, and it kind of keeps them in touch with their faith and what they're doing today, as opposed to some kind of picture frame or something like that. This kind of reminds them of what they're doing on a daily basis."

The company has received requests for statues depicting non-Caucasian children. The kids on the current statues are all white.

"We're thinking of doing that," Orzech said. "We're not sure if we would do them all non-Caucasian or have some kids mixed."

Orzech said she doesn't find the statues offensive. "We've had a couple of customers say that. That's their opinion. I think it's something positive."

E-mail Henry K. Lee at [email protected].

©2002 San Francisco Chronicle.   Page A - 1
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/06/04/sp_jesus-hockey.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/06/04/sp_jesus-football.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/06/04/sp_jesus-baseball.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
That's got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
LMAO.  Jesus mixing it up on the ice is hilarious.  I can just see someone blind-siding him into the glass, Jesus shucking his gloves, pulling the offender's shirt over his head, and beating the crap out of him.

I'll take two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/06/04/sp_jesus-football.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Conan O'Brien showed this one on the show. That kid in the red jersey tackling Jesus?

Oh yeah, he's going to hell.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
This reminds me of "Buddy Christ" from the movie "Dogma."

[img]www.explosion-toys.com/store/media/com057_hi.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
can i get a jesus with ar AR shooting groundhogs?
View Quote

Will you accept Christ... With a Titanium revolver?

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/BuddyGun.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
err aaahh, eep!

Waay too funny. I especially like the photoshopped "Buddy Christ"!

(Cardinal Glick, RIP)

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Scarry thing is...somebody is actually buying these things.
As a christian, I think it's embarrasing.
However, I must admit that I wouldn't mind seeing a figurine of Muhammad playing pool and swigging a beer with Cuban cigar hanging out of his mouth.[beer] Or maybe Muhammad eating a small child. But then again, we wouldn't want to offend anyone.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Bunghole,
This is awesome!  I think I'll buy one to piss of my x-tian friends.  Ooops...  "Don't want to offend anyone".  [;D]

We just don't have enough fun with Jesus these days......

Gunner1X,
I don't think anyone was offeneded my your remark.  It's not as easy to push those folks buttons as some folks I won't mention.  [}:D]

BTW, as far as I'm concered it would be just as funny to have one of Muhammad eating a small child, for the record!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
They say they sold about 2,000 of these things. I think it's more than likely 2,000 people who though these are some of the funniest things they've seen in a long time, and therefore ordered one as a joke.
I still think the number of Christians that buy these things are about the same or, okay, I'll be nice, say 20 of them (1%) are Christians that bought them for inspirational purposes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
to be honest, im not sure where i stand on these things.
while in some respect, i think it trivializes the one being that i hold most dear and fear rightly.
on the other hand, it demysitifes and brings Christ to a level that children can understand.  and even on a metaphorical level it underscores the ever present and watchful eye of the Lord.  which is not to say that he finds himself getting caught up in the score of a baseball game, but moreover that he is interested in the lives of all thos who believe in him whether their recreations take them outside in the garden or onto the playing field.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bunghole,
This is awesome!  I think I'll buy one to piss of my x-tian friends.  Ooops...  "Don't want to offend anyone".  [;D]

We just don't have enough fun with Jesus these days......

Gunner1X,
I don't think anyone was offeneded my your remark.  It's not as easy to push those folks buttons as some folks I won't mention.  [}:D]

BTW, as far as I'm concered it would be just as funny to have one of Muhammad eating a small child, for the record!
View Quote

I'm just funning and I'm not offended! I am a Christian, but I'm not out to bludgeon anyone with a bible. I think one of the biggest problems with most Christians these days is the total lack of a sense of humor.

Most of the people at my church would probably excommunicate me if they saw the contents of my gun safe or polled me on my political views. I may not be the model Christian to some,  but I can sleep at night.
I'm not embarrassed to tell anyone what God has done in my life, but if they don't want to hear about it, that's cool too...If you can hit what you're aiming at...then you're welcome in my trench.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
to be honest, im not sure where i stand on these things.
while in some respect, i think it trivializes the one being that i hold most dear and fear rightly.
on the other hand, it demysitifes and brings Christ to a level that children can understand.  and even on a metaphorical level it underscores the ever present and watchful eye of the Lord.  which is not to say that he finds himself getting caught up in the score of a baseball game, but moreover that he is interested in the lives of all thos who believe in him whether their recreations take them outside in the garden or onto the playing field.
View Quote

Honest and well said!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Gunner1X,
Obviuosly, I'm not a christian, but you're cool in my book.  I like your attitude.  I don't think the pushy-ness we're talking about is neccessarily unique to christianity, maybe it's just that americans in general can be kinda pushy.  We are the best country in the world, hands down, and sometimes we get arrogant about it and think that our success means that everything we do is right.

One of my old Baptist Sunday school teachers very carefully and quietly said, "Sometimes, people need more than the bible".  He was talking about not shoving things (religion, opinions, etc) in people's face.  I'm sorry I assumed you were one of those, and I'm glad I was wrong!  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sorry I assumed you were one of those, and I'm glad I was wrong!  [;)]
View Quote

Apology accepted, but not necessary[:D]
We're all friends here. If we reach the point on this site where we can't can't have
a friendly debate or make smart assed remarks to on another (in jest) without everyone getting their panties in a wad, I'll stop paying
my ISDN bill.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#20]
For more on Jesus-related artifacts and trinkets, visit:

[url]http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Gunner1X,
Well said.

Javak,
Thanks for the link.  That one really cracked me up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This reminds me of "Buddy Christ" from the movie "Dogma."

[img]www.explosion-toys.com/store/media/com057_hi.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Is The Main Man of the Manger giving me the bird?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top