BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So if the Law of Moses supposedly went away with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, it would stand to reason that in all of Jesus' other words, all killing is wrong, including criminal executions.
View Quote

Matthew 5:18-19: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe you Maynard. I don't need to search stats to know that if a murderer is put to death it deters him from murdering again. If you need stats, YOU go find 'em.....
View Quote

I didn't make the argument of it being a deterrent, you did.

You made the argument that the death penalty is a deterrent to a person committing the act
Yes, killing someone would stop them from ever murdering again.....

View Quote

Which is exactly what I said.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Society says that there are certain things that you may do that are worthy of forfeiting your life.

[b]You know them beforehand. The rules and procedures are known beforehand.[/b]

So when you pull the trigger on the man/woman/child, under such circumstances as the laws written by society say in advance are worthy of capital punishment, you are simply pulling the trigger on yourself.

It is 'suicide by use of the State', that's all!

When you say that the policeman's actions and the husband's actions are different, you are wrong.

Society has already taken those factors into account and say that there is no criminal act in defending one's life, or the life of another, by taking the life of someone trying to take innocent life. Period.

It is because our society cherishes [u]innocent[/u] human life so much that it has determined that capital punishment is the best method for dealing with the crime of murder. And that the [u]guilty[/u] life is forfeit!

It's been the reasonable response of mankind, since the very beginning.

It will be around as long as mankind exists on this planet.

Get used to it!

Eric The(Reasonable)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

So by that logic if someone shot and killed my wife and it would be fine for me to walk up to them two weeks or even two days later and kill them?

I think not, I would most certainly be charged and most likely convicted.

Why should the State be more just to kill than I in those circumstances?
View Quote

Cause presumable the state would exact revenge for you after giving the guy a trial by jury.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So if the Law of Moses supposedly went away with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, it would stand to reason that in all of Jesus' other words, all killing is wrong, including criminal executions.
View Quote

Where did you get the idea that the sermon on the mount did away with OT law?? Jesus said; "Matthew 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."
Nothing about replacing the law.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I voted that no murderer should die. Even though I would like to drive a 12" dagger through there hearts.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed,[b] nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.[/b]
View Quote

Nothing "cruel and unusual" about death, happens to everyone. It would be if they were drawn and quartered...
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where did you get the idea that the sermon on the mount did away with OT law?? Jesus said; "Matthew 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."
Nothing about replacing the law.....
View Quote

John 1:17 for starters

[17] For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from Maynard -
So by that logic if someone shot and killed my wife and it would be fine for me to walk up to them two weeks or even two days later and kill them?
View Quote

'Fine'? Define 'fine' for me, first.

If you mean lawful, well, maybe yes, maybe no.

If it could be shown that you were still in such a mental shape after two days, two weeks, two years, that you acted upon an irresistable impulse, in the heat of passion, not in your right mind, etc., then you would most likely nnot be convicted of murder, but most likely acquitted, or convicted of manslaughter at the worst.
I think not, I would most certainly be charged and most likely convicted.
View Quote

Depends upon the circumstances, doesn't it?
Why should the State be more just to kill than I in those circumstances?
View Quote

Because the State is the one who determines such things and, just as it says that if you take the life of someone who killed your child after two hours, two days, two weeks, or two years, then you are not guilty of 'murder', then it can also say that when it executes someone after a trial, appeal, and several years, that it is likewise not 'murder.'

You can quibble with this issue all you wish, but just as a society can forgive the murder by its citizens of foreign soldiers in a war, and send men off to drop bombs on innocent men, women and children during the course of that war when it is faced with a military necessity, then it can likewise put to death its own citizens (and the citizens of other nations, e.g. Nuremburg), when it finds that by so doing it serves the society's best interests.

Period.

B|tch, scream, moan, pizz, it ain't gonna change!

Ever.

Eric The(ReasonableAfterAllTheseYears)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
John.8
[1] Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
[2] And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
[3] And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
[4] They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
[5] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
[6] This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
[7] So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
[ 8] And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
[9] And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
[10] When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
[11] She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
[12] Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
[13] The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.
[14] Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.
[15] Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
you have no option for polititions and inner party members.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Post from Maynard -
If a person has murdered already how has the DP for the initial action deterred them?
View Quote

Deter? Who said anything about deter? Not I!

The death penalty may deter some folks, but not others.

The death penalty is, was, and always will be about [b]punishment.[/b]

If it deters some, that is all well and good, but that is not the reason we have it - for the murderer, his life was already forfeit.

And the fact that the murderer dies might deter some others. That is also well and good.

But not [u]required[/u]!

If it can be conclusively shown that throughout the combined history of mankind, [u]not[/u] [u]one[/u] potential murderer was ever [b]deterred[/b] because of the death penalty, I would be surprised, but it would still be the correct punishment for certain murders.

First off, it is the ultimate punishment, and is admittedly the greatest penalty that can be inflicted upon another human.

Second, it would stop blood feuds, which was one of the first rationales for having the society use capital punishment in the first instance.

Third, it prevents the citizens from taking the law into their own hands and executing the suspected murderer without the benefits of a jury trial, appeal, and legal representation for the accused.

Those reasons alone are sufficient to allow capital punishment in any civilized society.

Eric The(Undeterred)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Post from Maynard -
I realize it is very hard to convey emotion over the web but at no time have I pissed or moaned.
View Quote

My apologies, Sir.

I though I had heard some, but it appears that I was mistaken!

Eric The(CarryOn!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, it is the ultimate punishment, and is admittedly the greatest penalty that can be inflicted upon another human.

Second, it would stop blood feuds, which was one of the first rationales for having the society use capital punishment in the first instance.

Third, it prevents the citizens from taking the law into their own hands and executing the suspected murderer without the benefits of a jury trial, appeal, and legal representation for the accused.

Those reasons alone are sufficient to allow capital punishment in any civilized society.

Eric The(Undeterred)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Lib86 brought the deterrent argument up.

Your points are noted.
View Quote

L86 said it "may " deter others, and would definetly deter the perp. The main reason for the death penalty is restitution. You pay for a life with a life....
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think that ALL murderers should be put to death. If you intentionally kill another human being, you die.
View Quote

I ALMOST agree.

Never say ALL.

Well, almost never (since you should never say never).

For example, what if some outstanding citizen were to get fed up and snuff Reno and slick Willie???  I'd say give 'em a medal!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just want to know why people who are against abortion also support the death penalty. So is killing another human "wrong" or isn't it?
View Quote

VERY simple.

Depends on whether or not they need killin'. [;)]

fyi - I am pro choice but think that the idiots who use it as a form of birth control will probably roast in hell.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top