Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 6:21:38 PM EDT
Man, I'll tell ya what. I've been a Budwieser man for awhile. But that born on dating sure is nice.

I guess I just have the taste for it, but fresh beer tastes much better. When buying Budwieser (and Sam Adams as well since you can kind of tell how old their beer is) I always look at the born on date. I try not to buy beer that is more than a month old. Thank god I live just two hours from the mecca of beer, the Budwieser brewery in ST. Louis.

And if you think I'm cracked, my wife thought I was too and tried slipping me an older beer one night. Spotted it right away. I'm telling ya, I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Shamus McOI-I actually did a blind taste test an could tell which Budwieser was brewed in St. Louis and in Fairfeild,CA.Big difference....also the Born on Date is not hype it does make a big difference unless your belly is lined with Stainless Plate.I used to rot my gut's on the cheap brands for years now it's Augustus Busch III all the way!.One of these years I will show up at the cousins house for Kansas City BBQ an some real fresh suds...........Biers to ya'
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, I notice some differences but I try and not worry about it much.

Biere's to you too.  :)  Look at the can or bottle and see where my name came from.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Do what I do. Make your own. It will ruin you for that store bought piss.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nah-I don't buy it-it's marketing. Beer (at least in brown bottles-doesn't last as long in green) lasts for ?? 4 months or so easy. Bud just turns over their beer so quickly that it is a good gimick.

Bud blech ptoiey watery rice tasting yuck ick. Life's too short to drink bad beer.

At least have a Labatts if you are going to have the mass produced stuff (oh you're probably too far south for Labatts [:(] must be something drinkable there).
View Quote

Well actually Budwieser's born on date is date of production, and states on bottle that four months (120 days) is the ideal time for the beer.

But like I said, I have an accute taste for the age of beer. I can tell the difference between a month old Budwieser and a three month old Budwieser. I shit you not.

I've read about tasters for brewers who can actually taste which bottle in a case of beer was closest to the holes in the top because even light affects the taste of beer.

I'm not saying that I have the taste buds of a brewmaser. But probably pretty close.

And DoubleFeed, it's usually after about five BEERS not ounces for me that I start not to notice. So I like to at least enjoy the flavor of the first five.[:)]

Oh and like I said, Sam Adams has a similiar dating system on their bottles, and they also brew good beer.

No matter which beer you like, trust me, fresh beer (no matter which brand) DOES taste better.

Enjoy lads! [beer]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely right, Shamus!
Beer past it's expiration date is HORRIBLE!
I drink mostly German imports, and once bought some "on sale", got it home, and it was ghastly......checked the date, and it was 15 months old!
Took it back, pointed out the date on it, and they refunded.
I agree with the Warsteiner slogan, "Life is too short to drink cheap beer."
Hehehe, and I even found a store in our new E. Texas town that sells German beer! Yay!
PS:
We have had some of our home brew get nasty, no idea what went wrong, but I am leaving the brewing to experts from now on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Absolutely right, Shamus!
Beer past it's expiration date is HORRIBLE!
I drink mostly German imports, and once bought some "on sale", got it home, and it was ghastly......checked the date, and it was 15 months old!
Took it back, pointed out the date on it, and they refunded.
I agree with the Warsteiner slogan, "Life is too short to drink cheap beer."
Hehehe, and I even found a store in our new E. Texas town that sells German beer! Yay!
PS:
We have had some of our home brew get nasty, no idea what went wrong, but I am leaving the brewing to experts from now on.
View Quote

This is why I (sadly) don't drink many imports anymore. It seems to be hit or miss on the age (hence quality) of the beer depending on where you buy it.

As far as the home brewing that you guys suggest, I've tried it a few times and come up craps everytime I've tried.

I've done the lasy route with the Mr. Beer kits, as well as the full one boil it yourself. Everytime it's come up barely drinkable. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My first summer in Antarctica (1992) they cleaned out the old alcohol storeroom. They found 230 cases of Budweiser from the late 60's.
Church Key stuff. I opend one just to see what it was like, it didn't pour out, it came out in chunks.
There was some stuff from the early 80's there too, it was going for $2.00 a case. They sold 140 cases in one day. That was hit or miss stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Czech beer is the best.  Too bad I can't get any here.

There is a micro-brewery that doesn't pasteurize beer near my home and it is positively the best American beer I've ever had.  All of the mass-produced traditional "American" beers are total crap.  Coors is watered-down Bud, and Bud is carbonated piss.  Don't even get me on about Pabst.

Sam Adams is ok, not great, but consumable.  Their Summer Ale is pretty neat.

German beer is HORRIBLY over-rated.  Czech, Austrian, and Danish beer is SOOOOOOOOOO much better.  If you ever go to Europe, go to Prague.  It's a beautiful city with the best beer for super cheap.  Pints are 50 cents.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys have obiously never made any chalk or homemade beer!  Beer like wine,or whiskey has to age to make it right,this new fresh date is just to make you want to drink this bland(not really-beachwood aged beer) as now so many socially drink ,the breweries can't make enough beer!

Used to be we (drunks) were such a small minority that we couln't afford a town drunk so we all took turns!   Now it seams everybody wants to give it a shot!  So what you are drinking is green beer, not aged.

So really good beer like aged wine, or whiskey ,or single malt scotch cost so much more .

That you just can't find it at the average peasents wages(mine).   Good luck all you modern day enologeist.   You woudn't know a good beer if it bit you in the ass.

Bob Hic,  [8D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I've run across many old cans of beer (I've collected the cans since 1975) that were full.

When I say "old" cans of beer, I mean OLD.
We are talking 50 to 60 years old.

Anyway, as you would guess, a lot of the beer has turned to unidentifiable putrifaction.

If I get a full can, it gets emptied right away so it does not leak-out in the future. I basically open them from the bottom and pour the crud into the sink.

If the liquid being emptied is still fizzing, I will do a taste-test.

I had a can of Hamms Beer, from 1955 that tasted JUST FINE, not to mention a few others that were "OK".

And while Im on the topic...I buy old beer can collections!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Beer in green bottles ages especially poorly.  It gets that nasty, skunky taste to it. Expensive green-bottled beer like Heineken, Grolsch, Stella, or Steinlager doesn't move off the shelf as fast, and often has the skunky stale taste when you bring it home.  

Freshly brewed Heine and Grolsch in Holland isn't just cheaper, it's way better tasting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My local mom & pop super(this is a 10 store chain) has beer on sale every so often but it is on beer that is a week or two away from its expiration date of 120 days from the born on date. So consequently, I check the date when they have sales on beer very carefully.

OT: Bush is one of the few mainstream companies that is pro-gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top