Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 2:28:09 PM EDT
I need some help removing my butt stock.  I just bought a new collapsible stock to put on my Pre-Ban lower and just tried to remove the buttstock tube to no avail.  My hands are now red trying to turn the tube so hard.  How do you get these things off to put the new 4 postition on?  It looks like I might need to try a plumbers wrench, but the black tube looks like it's plastic, so I don't know about that.  I spryed some oil on the threads and that didn't even work.  Help me please, I want my new stock on!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the very back end of the tube. See that raised portion? Get a crecent wrench and twist it off.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Pok, I thought about that but it looks like plastic.  How much can you screw until it breaks?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only removed metal tubes, but if you don't use too much force it will come off without breaking. It went on with that amount of force and didn't break, so...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If the buffer tube that was used with the original A2 type stock is indeed plastic, I'd say don't bother trying to save it.   If it's plastic just torque that sucker out of there with the concern to spare the lower and not the buffer tube.    If it's metal, aluminum probably, then go ahead and try to remove it to save it.

I wouldn't think that a plastic buffer tube would be all that difficult to remove from the lower receiver, should give pretty easily unless some goofy person used a cement of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, glue. Good point.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pok, I thought about that but it looks like plastic.  How much can you screw until it breaks?
View Quote

The plastic part should be a spacer.  Under that is a hard point for a wrench.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
strap wrench
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Good news, my new butt is now on!  It took about 15 minutes of screwing hard, but it finally came! [:D]  I think they use Loc-Tite or something, because this thing was on there solid.  BTW, crescent wrench did the job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If that don't beat all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top