Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 4:26:34 PM EDT
  He was a WWII vet and we had the local VFW guys who were also WWII vets perform the ceremonial funeral. The gentlemen provided a three man rifle team for the salute, followed by Taps. The flag was folded and presented to my grandmother by my cousin, who is a Major in the Army. It was one of the most emotional experiences that I have had.
  After the funeral, I took some time to thank these vets for what they just did and for all they have done. I felt that with tomorrow being our Independence Day, we might take some time to reflect upon this and if we can, go thank a veteran for their service. A heartfelt thank-you to all here who have put on the uniform and fought for our freedom. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
[USA]  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
my condolences to you and your familly. The world is loosing more and more hero's everyday. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences to your family.  My Grandfather was my best friend, and I miss him every day.  Just hang in there, we will all be together once again, never to be separated.

Quoted:
All my respect Brother.

Grandfathers...  they don't make'em anymore..

View Quote

Amen....Another Hero of the Greatest Generation has departed and the world feels a bit more hollow.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandfather.  I lost mine (also a WWII vet) in December.

We need to thank the vets every chance we get for the freedoms that we have.

God Bless This Soldier

medcop
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My condolences, they were for sure the greatest generation. Hopefully some of us learned at least a little bit from them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Our deepest sympathies to you & your family.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My Grampas are all gone now.
They're pretty special guys and we miss 'em.
In typical Grampa fashion, though, they go first and will be there for you when you get there!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My hat is off, sorry to hear of the loss..

[USA]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry for your loss and the loss of an American Hero.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
GodSpeed
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry to hear about your GRANDfather. We don't have many of the WWII hero's left. I don't have any GRANDparents left. I am 58 and they have been gone for several years.
You have my deepest sympathy.
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all who replied. We just had our annual 4th of July picnic/shooting event and it was rough not having him there to critique my shooting! All of the extra family has left now so this will be the first night my grandma stays alone. I think she should head back down to Florida where they have a lot of "bingo buddies" to keep her busy.
My dad is going to make a few display cases for both of my grandfathers' flags. My other grandpa was a WWI vet and I have the flag from his coffin. I will post pics of the finished project when my Dad completes them. Hope you all had a great day.
Thanks,
Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top