Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2012 9:15:59 AM EDT
Background: I bought a very happy little GSP about a month ago and he's been growing like a weed.  At 3 months of age, he's now 25 pounds.

I've had two recommendations on the neuter issue:

1) From the breeder, himself: do not neuter.  The dog will be fat, lazy, and greasy.

2) From the vet: neuter.  The dog will be much better behaved and neutering avoids health problems/unwanted puppies later.

Our previous dog, a chocolate lab, was neutered and one the best dogs I have ever had.  He maintained a healthy weight and a positively amazing demeanor.  I am inclined to neuter my GSP based on my previous experience, but wanted to know if there are any other considerations I should take into account.

So, what says the hive?

I should add that I have no intention of breeding this dog.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow...this fell off the front page rather quickly.

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this, fellas (and ladies, if present).

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That should guide you.   Never had a fat dog that was neutered.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I would neuter.

I have a GSP (female) and had the same decision to make.  I would have loved puppies, but then better sense prevailed.

Your GSP is probably a hyper beast and neutering will only drop him from volume 11 down to about....9.  There is a difference, but it won't be extreme.  They tend to mellow somewhat by age 3.

Either way, enjoy your pup.  I am huge fan of GSPs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I say neuter.    The issues of fat, and lazy can be directly resolved by playing and exercising your dog,  which is what a good dog owner does anyways.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would neuter.

I have a GSP (female) and had the same decision to make.  I would have loved puppies, but then better sense prevailed.

Your GSP is probably a hyper beast and neutering will only drop him from volume 11 down to about....9.  There is a difference, but it won't be extreme.  They tend to mellow somewhat by age 3.

He's a great dog around the kids.  75% of my motivation to get him was to have a awesome family pet, which he's become.  The other 25% was to have a potential pheasant hunting machine.  Judging by his inquisitve nature and ability to take basic obedience training pretty well, I think he's going to be a pretty good bird dog.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 10month German Wirehaired Pointer who is neutered.  He is the same as he was with a pair.  

Had 4 GWPs growing up, all neutered, all awesome dogs, hunters, and active/inshape until they day they died (bodily functions/organs gave out between 13 and 14 years).
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
my GSP is older than my balls, and frankly near the end of her life. She is still kind of a handful. They are highly spirited, energetic dogs and the males tend to be a little more intense than the females. I really doubt your little boy would turn into a lazy fatty.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Neuter. There will be no loss of energy, and if there is I don't want to know what they're like when they're not neutered. My parents got one when I was growing up. Fantastic dog, but before we got him fixed he was so horny that he would rape stuffed animals (not making this up).

He also bit the head off of the Baby Jesus from our nativity set.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would neuter.

He's a great dog around the kids.  75% of my motivation to get him was to have a awesome family pet, which he's become.  The other 25% was to have a potential pheasant hunting machine.  Judging by his inquisitve nature and ability to take basic obedience training pretty well, I think he's going to be a pretty good bird dog.

That sounds like my girl.  She is a family pet first and foremost and a bird dog a distant second.  The instincts on GSPs is something to behold.  She has a good nose and locks up tight when she whiffs a grouse.  She also goes all day long (I can get exhausted merely watching her).  

Prey drive is there in spades so please be careful about letting him run in areas where there are a lot of porcupines.  Mine has tussled with two.  I shoot all the porkies I find (and I actively hunt them now).  I shot five in 2011 within a 10 acre radius of my house (which qualifies me as an Ace!).

I usually live and let live, but damn if I am going to willingly get another 250 buck vet bill handed to me if I can help it.

My GSP calmed down considerably once we got her a wireless collar (wireless pet fence) set up.  It lets her rip and snort in the backyard and chilled her out in the home a great deal.  I don't think (besides perhaps marathon training) I could give her enough exercise.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Neuter. There will be no loss of energy, and if there is I don't want to know what they're like when they're not neutered. My parents got one when I was growing up. Fantastic dog, but before we got him fixed he was so horny that he would rape stuffed animals (not making this up).

Mine ate the wireless doorbell off the outside of my house.  She came over to me while I was working outside and spit out a chewed circuit board (thankfully with the battery still attached).

No ding dong for you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Neuter. Every single dog I have had neutered has been mild mannered and an excellent family dog. It also prevents cancer.

ETA: I don't know if the breeder you got him from knows what they are doing. I have been around dogs, dog rescue, and dog breeding my whole life and EVERY single reputable breeder that I have met wants their puppies neutered. When I got my Siberian Husky we had to sign a contract saying that we would neuter him. The breeder required that all their puppies were altered unless the buyer had intentions of showing the dog.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you plan to show the dog? AKC says neutered dogs are ineligible. If it is not a show quality/competitive dog the go for it if it's just a pet snip the nuts!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine ate the wireless doorbell off the outside of my house.  She came over to me while I was working outside and spit out a chewed circuit board (thankfully with the battery still attached).

No ding dong for you!

The worst part is that because their hair is so short that you can't help but see their dog boners. That was a memorable Christmas morning.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had 2 GSP's - both females and we had them fixed.
My wife has had 8 GSP's over her lifetime including males. All of them fixed.

As you are well aware (or learning) GSP's can be a little Hyper .
I for one would NEVER have an un-neutered male GSP at my house.
I hunt over neutered males and they are no different than ones that still have
their twinkleberries.  Old myths die hard. If you will NOT be breeding the dog
than save yourself ALOT of trouble and do it....
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No ding dong for you!

The worst part is that because their hair is so short that you can't help but see their dog boners. That was a memorable Christmas morning.

Last summer I painted my house.  It was hotter than Hades and I was using a power sprayer.  I was up on the ladder and I saw something strange.

The damn dog was rubbing her entire body on the freshly painted (solid color stain) side of the house.  I guess a nice cool coating of latex must feel great on a hot day?

I yelled at her to stop and chucked a roll of tape at her head.  She grabbed the tape, ran off and then went for a second coat on the far side of the house.

I had a blue German Shorthair Pointer until I could clean her off with a hose.  It took a lot longer to pick the little eyelash length hairs off the side of the house.

GSPs know how to party.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would neuter.

That sounds like my girl.  She is a family pet first and foremost and a bird dog a distant second.  The instincts on GSPs is something to behold.  She has a good nose and locks up tight when she whiffs a grouse.  She also goes all day long (I can get exhausted merely watching her).  

Prey drive is there in spades so please be careful about letting him run in areas where there are a lot of porcupines.  Mine has tussled with two.  I shoot all the porkies I find (and I actively hunt them now).  I shot five in 2011 within a 10 acre radius of my house (which qualifies me as an Ace!).

I usually live and let live, but damn if I am going to willingly get another 250 buck vet bill handed to me if I can help it.

My GSP calmed down considerably once we got her a wireless collar (wireless pet fence) set up.  It lets her rip and snort in the backyard and chilled her out in the home a great deal.  I don't think (besides perhaps marathon training) I could give her enough exercise.

The only way to tire out my weimaraner's is a good 2-3 hour run. Normal 1 hour runs during the week does nothing to them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Neuter.  Your breeder is an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
GSP's are hyperactive and stubborn.  Neutering will be a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Our GSP is a year and a half now, neutered, and still as psycho and skinny as he's always been. As other have said, if this is him WITHOUT nuts.. there's no way either of us would survive him WITH nuts.  

When we had him down at my in-laws farm for Christmas, he ran balls-out (I mean literally 100%) chasing field mice for SEVEN HOURS. I think the only reason he quit was that it started to rain and he's a huge pussy about getting wet. His energy is unreal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#20]
if you neuter at a late age...yes they often end up fat and lazy.

if you neuter them when they're young they won't know any different it can make them more docile and friendlier with other dogs, less apt to challenge for alpha and also less prone to try and get out of the yard to go get some dog nookie and also keep the physical size down a little if you take them off early.

but that being said there's plenty of intact males out there that are great and well behaved.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a male GSP who is 2.5 years old. He is not neutered. The reasons why are the following:

Breeder said he has on occasion but not too often. (Breeder for over 20 years)
Our 2 female dogs (Boxer, Aussie Shep) are fixed.
If I really like him as a hunting dog I might want puppies.
I want him to feel and act like a male (How would you feel if your balls were chopped off?)

So far no major problems. He hunts well for what little training he has. He is a bit of a loving dog and wants lots of affection from me. Good with my kid. Good looking dog too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would neuter.

My wife's been bugging me to install one of those.  Which one do you recommend?

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I want him to feel and act like a male (How would you feel if your balls were chopped off?)

married?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would neuter.

My wife's been bugging me to install one of those.  Which one do you recommend?

We have a basic one.  It is the PetSafe Wireless Invisible Fence.  It cost less than 300 bucks.

That may seem like a lot but the ones that use a buried wire are expensive (had one of those too, replaced it with wireless) due to the cost of the wire and the hassle of the inevitable line brakes.

The receiving collar uses nickel sized batteries.  They average about five bucks a piece and you get over a month out of them.  You can get them at Lowes and a bunch of places you wouldn't necessarily associate the word "pet" with.  ETA: the collar blinks when the battery is getting low.

The wireless "sending" unit is rock simple.  It has a dial on it that determines range.  Ours (there are more modern ones maybe) has a 90' radial range max.

Again, 300 bucks sounds like a lot of money but you can add collars if you have more dogs (wife wouldn't let me put it on the kids, unfortunately).  Also the unit (or a similar one) will start paying you back when you see your dog calming down due to his ability to abuse the outside (and the fact you can boot him outside when he needs to do his business....and it is raining).

My dog has still been able to get into a lot of trouble in a 90' radial range!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey bud,
I am no vet, but I have read a whole lot about this.
Get the pup neutered but wait until 12-16 months old. Females are to have at least their first "heat". The reasoning is when you get the dog fixed (male or female) before it has matured ie hit puberty, it will possibly have issues ie joints/skeletal/bone density. This is due to not receiving the full "dose" of testosterone (males)/estrogen (females).
The info I have read has all pertained to working or sporting dogs and your GSP is a sporting dog.
My parents have had their beagles (females and house dogs) fixed very early on the advise of their vet. They have had to pay for 3 knee surgeries and will prob have to pay for a fourth.
There is hours of reading on the net reference this subject.

Good luck with your pup
Lookinup
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#26]
If you aren't going to breed it get him cut.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

married?

Yes, but my wife let me keep mine for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Neuter, sooner is better. If you wait too long it won't help.
Your dog will be happier and not distracted all the time. I love pointers btw!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't bother neutering.  Unless you have a female dog and really don't want to worry about the puppy issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

married?

Yes, but my wife let me keep mine for the most part.

Lucky....
My wife put my balls in her old purse and then hung the purse off the back of her car bumper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#31]
As a vet I would have to agree with your vet for all the same reasons. They won't get fat unless you let them get that way...
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't imagine one of these dogs getting fat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Decision made: the balls come off at 6 months' age.

Thanks for all the pointers, folks!

Brian
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Decision made: the balls come off at 6 months' age.

Thanks for all the pointers, folks!

Brian

Zing!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I had my GSP cut at 23 months, even though he is an awsome hunter and has OFA excelent hips. The only difference is i have to limit his food. Vet recomended i wait till then to make sure he has all his size and mass. if i need another GSP there are many fine breeders to chose from with lines that outmatch mine in every way, no need to have pups just because  you have a good dog, if you are not improving the breed theres no sence in it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Unless he is a exceptional example of the breed better to neuter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#38]
nip his nuts if isn't gonna be hittin some butts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quit reading into everyone's different myths and use some common sense.

If you're not breeding the dog get it neutered.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I have pointing dogs that I hunt and they also happen to be show champions.  I have been involved with my breed (showing, hunting, and hunt testing) for 10 years.  My oldest male was neutered at 20 months old because his bite did not develop correctly and he would not be used as breed stock.  He is a great hunter and a great family dog.  His personality really did not change at all.

IMO, if you are not going to show or hunt test/trial, get the dog neutered. Most of the German pointing breeds are pretty neurotic and they will be less neurotic if you get them fixed. BUT, allow the boy to fully mature before you have it done.  Waiting till they are mature will allow full physical structure development.  Most importantly, exercise the hell out you boy and enjoy him everyday!  Our canine friends really are not with us long enough.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I looked into this issue myself when training my GSD and came to the conclusion that neutering him would not harm his drive or cause weight gain.

I had my GSD neutered a little after his first birthday and I wish I had done it sooner frankly.  I have not noticed any weight gain to the point where he's over weight. His weight is healthy and his activity level if anything is less now than it was when he was a puppy so if he was going to gain weight he'd be doing it. I feed him twice a day now that he's an adult and have for years the same amount, same type of food, with some snacks of course at night when I'm home.  So far he's healthy and still has the energy I'd expect from a dog his age.

Honestly, I'd say do it. It's a real hard thing to do to your best buddy and I know I felt horrible about it at first, but he doesn't seem to even know they're gone or miss them.  I never wanted to breed him.

I say do it. Get it done.  Avoid any accidental puppies who end up in bad homes or in the shelter.  Avoid having to find puppies a home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a GSP that was neutered.  They are so active that your dog should not have a problem staying lean.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Background: I bought a very happy little GSP about a month ago and he's been growing like a weed.  At 3 months of age, he's now 25 pounds.

1) From the breeder, himself: do not neuter.  The dog will be fat, lazy, and greasy.

2) From the vet: neuter.  The dog will be much better behaved and neutering avoids health problems/unwanted puppies later.

Our previous dog, a chocolate lab, was neutered and one the best dogs I have ever had.  He maintained a healthy weight and a positively amazing demeanor.  I am inclined to neuter my GSP based on my previous experience, but wanted to know if there are any other considerations I should take into account.

So, what says the hive?

Neutering a dog early can in some times cause a delay in the onset of adult hormones, causing the dog to grow larger but with less defined muscle development.  Really big dogs they often encourage the owners to neuter them later than normal because extra weight caused by neutering early is hard on their joints.

Farmers neuter their hogs and cattle to facilitate weight gain.

I say neuter, but neuter later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I've always heard that some health problems can be avoided by neutering, but also that neutering can make a dog fat and all that.

They are "calmer" because they don't get the hormones to go into heat, but they aren't "calmer" in the sense that a german short haired pointer is going to ever be a "low energy" dog.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Had mine spayed, didn't make a dick bit of difference as far as energy levels. She is still a savage beast that will destroy anything she gets a hold of. And +1 for the invisible fence!!! Best 300 bucks I ever spent on a dog.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I would neuter, with the caveat that I would wait until after the dog was a year old, so that he has gone through puberty and is more fully developed physically..
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

So, what says the hive?

Total bullshit.

If you don't intend to breed him, neuter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top