Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 11:10:52 PM EDT
U.S. Servicemen Busted in Drug Probe

By ESTES THOMPSON
.c The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - One of the largest military drug investigations in recent years has led to the conviction of more than 80 Marines and sailors at Camp Lejeune for using and selling Ecstasy, cocaine, LSD and methamphetamine.

The two-year, undercover probe resulted in the seizure of more than $1.4 million worth of narcotics and included 105 separate investigations. An additional 99 civilians were charged by civilian authorities.

Code-named Operation Xterminator, the investigation was conducted by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service office at Camp Lejeune, along with state and local authorities.

More details were to be released Wednesday.

The investigation began in February 2000 after Camp Lejeune officials were alerted that a large number of service members were frequenting clubs about 40 miles south of the camp in Wilmington, where designer drugs were prevalent, according to a statement released by Camp Lejeune.

Drug charges were brought against 84 active-duty service members. A Marine Corps official said most were convicted under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and two cases are still pending.

Of the 84 charged, 61 were accused of distributing drugs and 23 were accused of using them. Officials provided no information on the sentences meted out to convicted military members.

Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the maximum punishment for wrongful distribution of drugs is confinement for 15 years, dishonorable discharge and forfeiture of all pay and allowances. For wrongful use of drugs, the maximum punishment is confinement for five years, dishonorable discharge and forfeiture of all pay and allowances.

Although narcotics cases in the military are not rare, they usually involve smaller numbers of people.

Thirty-eight cadets out of 4,300 at the Air Force Academy were implicated in a rash of incidents that began in December 2000 and grew to become the biggest drug scandal in the school's 47-year history.

In 1996, the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., went through problems like the Air Force Academy's: Five midshipmen were court-martialed and jailed on drug charges, and 15 others were expelled.

It was not clear Tuesday whether the Marine Corps was planning additional steps to deter use of illicit drugs. Last December, well after Operation Xterminator was under way, the Marine Corps established a random computerized system to standardize urinalysis throughout the service.

Navy regulations require all Marines and sailors to take a urinalysis examination every year.

Marine Corps officials said that while they are concerned by any illicit drug use, the 84 service members charged in the investigation represent only a small percentage of the 50,000 to 60,000 Marines and sailors who served in the Camp Lejeune area during the time of the investigation.

On the Net:

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil

07/03/02 02:00 EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They busted 80 out of, what, 100,000 service people there? Not much news, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
large number of service members were frequenting clubs about 40 miles south of the camp in Wilmington
View Quote

I've got several teenage great-nieces and nephews that leave near Wilmington.  I now have 179 less reasons to worry!  I'm often critical of law-enforcement, but not this time.z
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is if one of those 80 are working on my aircraft or flying with me.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

100 so priests out of thousands molesting kids? Not much news.

2 out of thousands of airline pilots caught drunk? Not much news.

10 or so Fortune 500 companies out of hundreds committing massive fraud? Not much news.

It is news.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was stationed in El Toro, they busted one guy with a 1/2 kilo of crystal in his locker at the barracks. What an idiot!!! Since it was a substantial cache, they figured it was not for personal use and charged him with intent to sell and distribute as well. [:D] Another guy in the same barracks got caught smoking pot @ 0300 in the morning by the duty hut. Another idiot. A number of guys in that barracks also popped on their piss test for one thing or another. This was the cooks barracks.

In bootcamp, one of the guys in my company got a b-day card from his GF with a doobie in it. The bastard smoked it the night before graduation and got busted by the firewatch guy. Which reported him to the DI. Another idiot. The kicker was, this guy was suppose to be going to the nuke program.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a lot of crystal meth cooked up in the desert, so we got biweekly urinalysis when I was stationed at Yuma. Every time, some idiots popped and got put out of the military on their asses. You have to wonder.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Which reported him to the DI.
View Quote

I was not aware that we squids had DIs. I thought they were CCs (company commanders).
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was not aware that we squids had DIs. I thought they were CCs (company commanders).
View Quote

My bad. You are correct sir.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Given the problems it causes for the military to replace guys they have to throw out for getting caught with drugs, it ought to be another, additional count for someone to sell drugs to a active duty serviceman.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, they're called RDC's (Recruit Division Commanders)
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was in (had to be end of 98 first part of 99) there was a guy in my squadron who went on leave and drove a truck for his brother (according to him he thought it was produce) and got pulled for an inspection in NJ. Among the heads of cabbage was a ton of pure coke (by ton I mean 2000 lbs no kidding) needless to say he was late getting back from leave. He was up for a court martial when I got out. Never did find out if he was convicted. Probably was. BTW this was with VMR-1 at Cherry Point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top