Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best

Uhhh, no. Not even close. Reloading us only way to go, even if cost isn't a factor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"Any real downside to the .338 Lapua other than ammo cost? "   RECOIL!

With a suppressor, you barely feel it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i wish .338 was cheaper

You ain't the only one.

My next bolt gun will be .300 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best
We have things called reloading presses. already covered

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW i am running a .300 ultramag with 210 berger vlds. It will really get out there but wont compete with the .338 lapua.

Isn't .300UM a major barrel burner? like it only lasts 1k or so rounds?

Not sure but I wouldn't doubt it considering the 6.5-284 gets about that much barrel life and those rounds aren't exactly screaming.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shit you don't even really need .300WM anymore.

6.5 Creedmoor can produce the same trajectory as .300WM; cost much less to reload and much less recoil.

A .260 remington does this nicely, too, and components are cheap.

ETA: I've never shot past 300yds, so this is purely academic.

Plan is to build an AR-10 in that to play with out to 600 or so, in the next couple years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That'll be a thumper.  

I have an A-Bolt II in .300 Win Mag and it'll make me start wincing after about 15 shots off the bench.

Enjoy that Sako.  Nice.  

My TRG in .308 with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50, Spuhr mount, 10 rounds in the mag, Harris bi-pod with claws and AAC Cyclone weighs 18 pounds. The rifle, even without the can, barely has any recoil. Your Browning probably comes in a shade over 9 pounds. My 280 A-Bolt doesn't make 9 pounds scoped.  

The TRG in 300 WM is a shade heavier than my 308. Recoil won't be a factor.

I deer hunt in Kansas with my TRG and carry a 18-20 pound pack. Don't ask me to freehand shoot the long bastard though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a place with the LONG distances where the 338 LM excels?
It will be more expensive to shoot, but if you love it, who cares?
You mentioned hunting, will the rifle be something you can carry all day?
Be realistic about the recoil.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sweet, glad you showed up.

How could I possibly stay away?  You know I can't help myself.

Quoted:
The only thing I found in your post I didnt think was perfect was you misspelled CORRECTLY
Jim

Damn!  you're right!.. I did spell it incorerctly!  

Quoted:

6.5 Creedmoor can produce the same trajectory as .300WM; cost much less to reload and much less recoil.

I used to think exactly the same thing.  Why I built my .260.  The thing is an absolute hammer out to 1250 (like sub .25 moa), but from a visceral standpoint, the 300WM is WAAY more fun to shoot.  There is something about downrange energy that just puts a smile on your face.  And people complain about recoil.  After shooting my .260 for a while, I begin to miss that SHOVE that tells you that you just shot a RIFLE.  In my mind this is the strongest argument for the 338LM if you're not a sniper.  Lot's of thump and big time thrill at the driver's end.  But ballistically?  The 300WM is WAY underrated and capable of things that most shooters cannot begin to even imagine.  For those guys... don't waste the money on a 338.  Hell... don't waste the money on the 300WM.  Do what AIV suggested and get a .308 or 6.5 something and learn the limitations.  THEN you'll appreciate what you bought.

John
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP. have you shot either?
Do you have any long range training or experience?
Do you have access to a range/shooting area longer than 1k?

I have a little experience shooting .338 from a borrowed rifle.

I do have relatively locat access to a 1000+ yard range (within a 1.5 hour drive)

I have a nicely sorted FN SPR in .308 that I have been working with for mulitple years, and would like to take a step up the ladder.  I don't own any magnum caliber rifles at this point.

I would plan on reloading for either round.  

I had considered an AI .338 as well, but from what I read the Sako seems to perform as well while sacrificing the ability to be run over by a truck and still perform as well.  For the $$$$ less, I'm hoping I can keep the Finnish contender from ending up under a truck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Looking at that or .260 Rem when I rebarrel my AR-10.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a ballistic gel test with the 300 grain SMK's at 2900 fps...  Wound depth is approximately 26 inches.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4110/5183077749_658be161e6_b.jpg

Good God I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love my .300. I think any balistic advantage of the .338 is outweighed by ammo cost and availability. YMMV.

This - love my .300WM... It can still reach out there "quite a ways", has tolerable recoil, shoots realy well, and is plenty for any game in North America...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you shoot a 5" group at 300M now?

shit, if you are even asking about 338 Lapua, you probably aren't ready.  you'll know when your capabilities are there.

you can get some sick groups out of 223 out to 800M and save a lot of money in the process.

or a .243 and save your shoulder.

.243 is another caliber I really like - pretty versatile, IMO... it, and .300WM handle pretty much all of my rifle hunting needs...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking at that or .260 Rem when I rebarrel my AR-10.

Yep. I want to build a 6.5 Creedmoor SPR. That would be fucking awesome.

That'll be a real semiauto that can reach out and touch someone.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best

I've never paid $4.00 per shot.

$1/shot is about average and if you're doing long range reloading is really the only option.

Truth
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP. have you shot either?
Do you have any long range training or experience?
Do you have access to a range/shooting area longer than 1k?

I have a little experience shooting .338 from a borrowed rifle.

I do have relatively locat access to a 1000+ yard range (within a 1.5 hour drive)

I have a nicely sorted FN SPR in .308 that I have been working with for mulitple years, and would like to take a step up the ladder.  I don't own any magnum caliber rifles at this point.

I would plan on reloading for either round.  

I had considered an AI .338 as well, but from what I read the Sako seems to perform as well while sacrificing the ability to be run over by a truck and still perform as well.  For the $$$$ less, I'm hoping I can keep the Finnish contender from ending up under a truck.

I've been shooting the .300 alot as of late, I don't consider it bad as far as recoil. I think it has plenty of punch downrange, and will probably do everything I want a rifle to do in my life time. Personally I have way too many .308 projectiles and brass to consider improving on it at this point.
However, if you have alot of trigger time on your .308 and your fundamentals are good, I say go big.  
I've never had a sako, but I like the AI, and don't know anyone who has an issue with theirs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best

I've never paid $4.00 per shot.

$1/shot is about average and if you're doing long range reloading is really the only option.

Bullshit, Federal Gold Medal is $117.99 per box at Midway. You loading match ammo for .338 lapua for $1.00 a shot. I will buy a bunch of it for $3.00 a shot from you. Make a profit.

Look up the component prices before you make statements like that.

It wasn't component prices that had me, it was the he is getting ten loads on each rd of brass. I know the prices.

Some people are reporting getting over 13 loads on a case

I'm reloading it for a little over a buck a round as well. Lapua brass is good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best

$2.50 reloaded
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
lol

im still gonna kill ya ass point blank witha broken beer bottle or pos 22 jamomatic rofl
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can you shoot a 5" group at 300M now?

shit, if you are even asking about 338 Lapua, you probably aren't ready.  you'll know when your capabilities are there.

you can get some sick groups out of 223 out to 800M and save a lot of money in the process.

or a .243 and save your shoulder.

This is where I suggest 6.5 Grendel, and have a blast out to 800M.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol

im still gonna kill ya ass point blank witha broken beer bottle or pos 22 jamomatic rofl

You didn't have anything to add, so you left this little treasure?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That'll be a thumper.  

I have an A-Bolt II in .300 Win Mag and it'll make me start wincing after about 15 shots off the bench.

Enjoy that Sako.  Nice.  

My TRG in .308 with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50, Spuhr mount, 10 rounds in the mag, Harris bi-pod with claws and AAC Cyclone ways 18 pounds. The rifle, even without the can, barely has any recoil. Your Browning probably comes in a shade over 9 pounds. My 280 A-Bolt doesn't make 9 pounds scoped.  

The TRG in 300 WM is a shade heavier than my 308. Recoil won't be a factor.

I deer hunt in Kansas with my TRG and carry a 18-20 pound pack. Don't ask me to freehand shoot the long bastard though.

No doubt that my A-Bolt II is around 9 lbs with a ligh 3-9x40 scope, but I can also shoot it pretty good standing up.

Shooting from a standing position is the true test of intestinal shititude.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

that IS something to add.....

it comments on the futility of choosng between these two rounds when we live ina  world where yer average persons true threats/concerns are much less long rang etaliban mortar crewman than "random asshole with a hardon".

VERY RELEVANT TO  THE FANTASY of many INTERNET RAMBOs

but hey thanks for the feebl;e attempt at dismissal mister "i cant get teh big picture so ill cry"

take yer unicorn avatar and spray glitter on yer overlords and their paychecks
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

SlipShot is probably drunk.

He likes to fool/joke around

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
300 RUM.

FTW!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

SlipShot is probably drunk.

He likes to fool/joke around

I think thats about the only explanation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It wasn't component prices that had me, it was the he is getting ten loads on each rd of brass. I know the prices.

Buckshot are you just incapable of saying "Ah ya I over exaggerated, my bad"??????

Let's use your number just so you can feel vindicated:

Lapua brass is $250/100. You get about 10 5 shots out of each brass, so $.25 50/shot

Powder charge is about 30 cents

.05/rd for primer

.66/rd for 300 SMK's.

That's $1.26 $1.76 a round

You're $4/shot argument is void, move on man.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

that IS something to add.....

it comments on the futility of choosng between these two rounds when we live ina  world where yer average persons true threats/concerns are much less long rang etaliban mortar crewman than "random asshole with a hardon".

VERY RELEVANT TO  THE FANTASY of many INTERNET RAMBOs

but hey thanks for the feebl;e attempt at dismissal mister "i cant get teh big picture so ill cry"

take yer unicorn avatar and spray glitter on yer overlords and their paychecks

Sorry, I should have said "anything of value to add." That would have saved you the second post.
Why does it have to be about a threat? Can people not pursue long range shooting in the interest of a hobby? Or are you so intellectually insignificant that you're perfectly happy to bump fire at dirt clods on the berm at 15m?
How about those of us who take our military training in long range shooting and shoot competitively to stay sharp and enhance our abilities, for when it is a "Taliban mortar crew"?
As for the rest of your post, I'm neither able nor interested in deciphering your lackluster attempt at an insult. I'm hoping you come back sober, with something worthy of engaging.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buckshot are you just incapable of saying "Ah ya I over exaggerated, my bad"??????

Lapua brass is $250/100. You get about 10 5 shots out of each brass, so $.25 50/shot

.05/rd for primer

.66/rd for 300 SMK's.

still expensive, but definitely much cheaper than the factory stuff.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.05/rd for primer

.66/rd for 300 SMK's.

Um, I did, yesterday.....

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#33]

"300 Hulk", a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps.

BLOG: July 30, 2007

NEWS, FEATURES, PRODUCTS, and RELOADING TIPS. BLOG ARCHIVE.

COMPETITION––Sarver Sets Amazing new LG Record, 1.403", 50/ 5X: Tom Sarver has entered the ranks of the Immortals. Shooting at the Thunder Valley (Ohio) Range on July 7th, Tom nailed a truly spectacular 1.403" 5-shot group at 1000 yards. This represents a new IBS Light Gun group-size record that edges Rich DeSimone's 1.564", previously thought "untouchable." What is even moreamazing is that the group was centered, producing a 50-score with 5 Xs. That will be a new IBS Score record as well.

Tom can be justifiably proud of shooting the new record, particularly at a range and facility that he constructed himself (Tom is the proprietor of Thunder Valley). Tom was shooting a big 30 wildcat he calls the "300 Hulk", a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps. Tom is using about 85 grains of H1000. He anneals the Lapua brass after every firing, and the brass that set the record was on its 58th firing! After the record Group/Score target on Relay One of Match 7 in the Ohio 1000-yard series, Tom added a 6" group that secured the Light Gun class victory according to fellow Thunder Valley shooter Dan Wassum. Dan also notes: "Tom has been very close several times to records, but this time all five were in the right spot." (J.P. Lucas was the 2007 Ohio Overall Two-Gun Champ at Thunder Valley this year.)

Stay tuned for updates on our home page. We are working with Tom on a detailed feature story on the rifle. This will include many of Tom's accurizing and case-forming secrets. We hope to release Sarver's "Saga of the 300 Hulk" later in August.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#34]

.338 LM  (MPI)

.300WM LAWTON (MPI)

Get both and smile.

eta the .338 with FTE brake has less recoil then the 300 with the vias.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

"300 Hulk", a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#36]
didn't read the thread, but if you ever shoot at steel targets, check with the range. Alot of ranges around here with steel won't let you shoot anything bigger than a 30 cal
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#37]
When you go looking out at some mountains in the distance, do you think to yourself "Oh how pretty!  I should take a cute little photograph and drink some tea!" or is your only reaction a primal outcry: "MUST GET WITHIN DANGER RANGE OF MOUNTAIN.  MUST SHOOT AT IT FROM HERE.  MUST HIT TARGET NOW.  NEED MORE POWER!..."

If the latter, then go man up and buy a .338 LFM (Lapua Fucking Magnum) and shoot at rocks and shit from way far away, dawg.

Otherwise, if you're a chick, then go buy your pansy-ass Winchester "Magnum" poodleshooter and content yourself with plinking at tin cans from muzzle contact distance (Don't worry about the Man Card, it's already been revoked).
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Long distance shooting; .338LM > .300WM

Not even really much of a fair comparison.

This. I love my Lapua!!!! Great round.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
338 Lapua.

End thread.

$4.00 per shot at best

You CAN reload them, you know......
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Any real downside to the .338 Lapua other than ammo cost? "   RECOIL!

The Savage BA110 has little recoil. And a huge muzzle break. You can shoot it all day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Really,  most people that are hobbiests at sub 1K ranges would do better to buy a grade-a .308.

But, to answer the OPs question.. We need to understand his Budget, intended range, and the rifles he is considering.  Even more importantly.. what Optic (Budget/Type)

If he is wanting to use a Rem 700 or Winchester M70, then i would go with the .300wm..  

If he is about to put down $5k on a semi-custom heavy rifle, the .338 might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.  Hunt? .30 is fine.  Long range anti-material, then maybe .338.  Maybe.  When you consider that steel-cored AP bullets are available for .30, well, I guess you have some thinking to do.  
If you want exotic, then get .338
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really,  most people that are hobbiests at sub 1K ranges would do better to buy a grade-a .308.  

But, to answer the OPs question.. We need to understand his Budget, intended range, and the rifles he is considering.  Even more importantly.. what Optic (Budget/Type)

If he is wanting to use a Rem 700 or Winchester M70, then i would go with the .300wm..  

If he is about to put down $5k on a semi-custom heavy rifle, the .338 might be the ticket.

Right, I can't even find a range around here that is over 300meters, so that extra range really isn't practical for me.

But some folks are lucky bastards with 1k+ size ranges.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, I can't even find a range around here that is over 300meters, so that extra range really isn't practical for me.

But some folks are lucky bastards with 1k+ size ranges.

I can drive 15 minutes and shoot 2k yards if I wanted to. I  take my rifles out past 1k all the time
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Gunwritr  did a article for shotgun news awhile back on this exact same question

http://www.shotgunnews.com/2012/01/05/classic-american-muscle-the-300-win-mag/

my .02 if you are a serious enough shooter to make use of the performance advantage

the extra  cost of ammunition or reloading components  is not going to be a factor

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#46]
.338 Lapua will beat the .300 Win Mag for both range and barrel life.

My young colleague shot this target at 1700+ yards on his 23rd birthday.  First shot in the head, three in the chest, last in the thigh.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm gonna go against the grain here, and say niether. I'm still working on getting my rem 700 in .308 set up and learing how to get the most out of it. Right now its setup as a 26" SPS varmit with a Falcon FFP 4x14, harris bipod clone and green factory stock. I'd like to upgrade to a AICS 2.0 and maybe have the action trued and that barrel cut down two inches and threaded as well as bedded (or maybe replaced with a high quality one, though it shoots such tight groups with lighter ammo I'm afraid to mess with it). Probly a can and maybe a scope upgrade to a nightforce at some point, but other then a mushy windage knob that was easily fixed the Falcon has been great. As is I've only been able to shoot a 200 yrds and the best 5 shot group I have done at 100 has been .6in center to center.

I still need to pick up a mildot master, a dedicated PDA with ballistic software, a slope doper, wind meter and maybe a couple other small thing. At this point though I simply havent had the chance to shoot far enough to justify anything bigger than a .308. And even if I did I'm not sure it would be worth it as I don't have the neccessary skill with a precision rifle (and besides a 26" .308 can do 1k yrds, beyond that I definitely dont have the skill). Very expensive subset of shooting, that takes a lot of money to even get one set of equipment for, unlike other types. Not to mention I personal find it harder to get into. I'll probly finish my rem700 and build an ar10 and an SPR to go with my DMRish a4, MN sniper, and PSL, and I'd like to pick up a 50 of some sort for shits and giggles, but weird rifles in sniper calibers would just sit in the safe.

ETA:
Meh upon thinking about it I would like a SRS or a AI AW in 338, but I admit it would be a safe queen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In Chris Kyle's book, he had both.

The book is on the coffee table, right in front of me, but it's not like I have pages tabbed.  Wasn't the Mk 11 for closer stuff, .300WM for long shots, and .338 for really long shots?
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Right, it's a good idea to work on a cheaper caliber to get your fundamentals down and everything. Then when you're ready, you can take it the next level.

Getting to that level where you can shoot at those distances and reliability hitting your target takes practice and going right to those heavy rounds can make for expensive practice.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Ammo availability and price makes this a pointless thread.

Go to WalMart and see which you can buy.

Go to your local fun store and see what you can buy with a $50
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top