Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 5:34:36 AM EDT
When I signed on to the Internet this morning I got a message telling me that there is an Internet Explorer update available. Does anyone have any info about this "update", and has anyone installed it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When I signed on to the Internet this morning I got a message telling me that there is an Internet Explorer update available. Does anyone have any info about this "update", and has anyone installed it?
View Quote

My brother-in-law installed it yesterday, and it messed up his AOL connection.  I haven't seen the update myself, but his definitely didn't work right.  Just a word of warning.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Ma'am. Precisely why I asked.  That's what's great about this site.  Folks sharing the info we need---and not just about ARs. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing that I've learned, if I don't learn anything else in the computer biz, is that "never be the first kid on the block to try it, all you will do is get a bunch of misery."
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I would investigate the nature of the update. Everyday there are additional security issues uncovered, particularly with Microsoft products- and depending on you IE version/OS, it might be important to check it out.
I agree that "upgrading" is not always the right path in software, certainly if you are satisfied with your current product, and again, with MS- the early bird gets the bug... But if this "upgrade" is to address a vulnerability you might be wise to go ahead and do it...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Also worth checking this out before installing those updates:

[url=http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/29/1254230.shtml?tid=109]www.slashdot.com[/url]

Of course, this doesn't apply only to MicroSoft, but it seems to contain stronger language.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother-in-law installed it yesterday, and it messed up his AOL connection.  I haven't seen the update myself, but his definitely didn't work right.  Just a word of warning.
View Quote

messed up his AOL connection? sorry, but why do i find that hilarious?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you get an e-mail with the update as an attached file? [b]ONLY INSTALL UPDATES DIRECTLY FROM THE MICROSOFT WEBSITE!!!!![/b]

Scott

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The June 26th update is a patch for windows media player(Q320920). (Q321232) Addresses security vulnerabilities. mmk
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
It's probably for internet explorer 6.  This version has the ability to control cookies on a per site basis, has content filters and password locks on the filters.  It seems to work great.  As for the AOL problem, I am not supprised.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Well if you install the new media player update, and you have the "Automatic Update" service installed... You be screwed!

Orwells "1984" is roughly 20 years late, and it isn't the government watching you.

Personally, I recommend that you turn off the "automatic update". Although Mickysoft says that there is no uninstall, you can get around it.

With Windows 2000/XP you want to stop the service "Automatic Updates" and set the startup type to "disabled". After that you can go through and remove the service and control panel by hand.

I don't have a Win9x system to look at to find out the details to turn it off.

If you do want to check for updates, I suggest you do it manually. Goto [url]windowsupdate.microsoft.com[/url] at least once a month. It snoops on you, but at least YOU have the choice when to do the snooping.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
This is courtesy of AOL/Netscape losing the browser wars and switching strategies but you might find it interesting. [url=www.mozilla.org/] Mozilla [/url] is open source, basicly netscape 7.0, but it IS open source. You might like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top