Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/30/2002 12:48:48 AM EDT
I attended Bulletfest III yesterday. WOW! I’d like to share my opinions on the event as someone who’s not as much of a gun enthusiast as the people who were doing the actual shooting. I’ll admit to being a greenhorn compared to these shooting participants. So I ask you to cut me some slack during my discussion. I got there a little late, about 11:00am or so. But I had plenty of time to absorb the flavor of the shoot. I have never in my life attended something like this. I was awe struck! Previously I have seen a machine gun or two fired, but not a 200-yard wall of machine guns. I shook hands with CampyBob and met a few other AR15 posters. Don’t know how many other people I saw who are posters but didn’t identify themselves as posters. Had to be a lot: kept seeing the AR15 .com on their nametags. And there were a good showing of womenz there, young and old womenz. This is encouraging. A family that shoots together, stays together. If mama’s happy, then daddy’s happy. According to Campybob, this was better than Knob Creek. And according to other posters, this years’ event was twice as big as last years. Everyone behaved themselves as far as I know, however, I understand that there was some “moron”, as Campy put it, that did something. You’ll have to talk to him to get the scoop on that. There was a cease-fire called due to someone getting an emergency phone call from home (?). And supposedly the sheriff came out and said that neighbors were complaining that we, the event, were making too much noise! I took this as a joke, however it kept surfacing among the people I talked with. Hm-m-m-m. It didn’t seem to slow anybody down. But that was it. Not bad for 200 yards of machine guns. The showstopper was the Mini-Gun. To me it was a gatling gun. Why they call it a Mini-gun I don’t know. It had six, rotating barrels in .308 caliber. When that thing went off, it didn’t even sound like a machine gun: it sounded more like a hum. And when it fired, it spewed out a wall of lead that neither beast nor machine could withstand. Yes, I’m getting a little dramatic. They “rented” guns also. I saw this one kid, about 12 or 14 or ?, that shot a .50 caliber. He happily complained about the kick as he rubbed his shoulder. And after the shot, his mother was all smiles, his dad was all smiles, and the kid was overjoyed. I recalled the country western song now out on the charts called Drive, and I wonder if he thought that he was Audi Murphy or something. I had the feeling that this kid was locked into being a dedicated shooter. There were other people “renting” guns. This one group gave people a choice of shooting an Uzi, a M16, or a M60. The barrels were smok’en, literally. The group was quoted as saying that “The people are excited”. Then I noticed that they sprayed oil on and in the guns. This made me wonder. So I went up and asked, “I noticed that you use a lot of oil on the guns. Why are you spraying so much oil on them?”. I should have asked that question in different way: that was not what I really wanted to know. But it was too late, the question was already out there. They answered that was to cool the barrel down and to make things operate smoother. “You know, like you want to put something in a hole, you need a little lubrication.”, he joked to me as he motioned with his hands. I definitely knew I had asked the question in the wrong way. I recovered my apparent ignorance and clarified that I wanted to know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 10:38:21 AM EDT by Kingme]
I explained that what I was concerned about was about how our military handled overheated barrels. I asked how many clips can you shoot before you need to spray it down with oil? Am I to understand that our soldiers get, say one can of oil with every 6 or so magazines? Do they equip our soldiers like that? I’ve never heard of that. The guy explained to me that gun battles are like a thunderstorm: they come on quick and heavy, then they’re over with. “It’s not like they’re (the military guns) being shot for 8 hours like these (our guns) are.”, he said. I wasn’t sure about that answer. He means to say that our military doesn’t get in extended gun battles? And I couldn’t accept the thought that a soldier would spray down his gun in a battle. Not only would there be time constraints, but the smoke would give his position away. And I don’t recall the lyrics of the song as being “Praise the Lord and pass the can of oil”. Maybe some of you vets can answer this one. There was much tinkering on the firing line. This was almost discouraging. Many of the machine guns were not able to fire a complete magazine or a belt without malfunctioning for some reason or another. One guy had a bolt action .50 with a magazine. He had trouble getting the bolt to close. He starts hitting it with the palm of his hand. He gets it chambered. Bang, he fires it. He goes to chamber another round. Again it gives him a hard time. He hits the bolt again. This time, as he gets the round chambered and locks the bolt down, the magazine falls out the bottom. He shakes his head and fires the round. I left him to his investigation. Another guy had a canvas belt-fed machine gun. He opened the breach positioned the belt, closed it, rat-a-tat-tat-tat-jam. He opens the breach, fiddle, fiddle, reposition, close, rat-a-tat-jam. Same scenario: fiddle fiddle, reposition, jam, jam, over and over. I came to the conclusion that canvas belts had more problems than the steel clip ones. And there were many others. Saw one guy hitting his barrel with a large screwdriver. Wonder what that was all about. Another guy shoots, jam, takes drum off, inspects, fiddle, drum back on, shoots, jam. Dam!. Another goes to squeeze the trigger, nothing. He calls his buddy, inspect, inspect, they start getting some kind of tools out, I move on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:51:04 AM EDT
One owner tells me that something in the breach of his M60 is galled. “The guns is running too slow.” He tells me. I see that it keeps jamming. Now I’m no gun expert, but I do know something about making steel parts slide easier. I ask him if he knows about molybdenum disulfide. It’s the slipperiest dry lubricant out there. I tell him that I use it along with a little oil. I don’t endorse the product as a lubricant used by itself, no matter sparingly they tell you to use it: it still needs a little oil, just a little. IMHO. It’s slippery to be sure, but the addition of a little, just a drop or two, makes one heck of a difference. You’re talking banana peel, greased pig. You can get this from gun shops or industrial suppliers. Comes in aerosol cans or tube. Same guy has a M2. It keeps jamming. He opens the breach, file, file, file, inspect, file file, file, inspect, feel, wipe, shoot, jam. Same thing over again. This time it seems to solve the problem. I wondered if he was going to consider the Moly. I’m hoping that someone tells me that these problems are due to these being old guns. I can’t imagine our servicemen having these many problems out in the field back then. Then the ammunition man came. He set up his tables with all sorts of goodies. There were .50’s, .308’s, 30-06’s, 223’s, 9mm’s, yada, yada, yada. It was time to feed guns: buffet style. And they were even offered exotic foods to boot: they could have “wolf” to eat. Even I have never tried that. I’m not sure of how many rounds were fired down the range, but one guy estimated his group alone fired some 20,000 rounds. One thing for sure, the targets must have been very religious because they were sure “holy”. (OK, no more attempts at jokes) But even with all the holes, it made me wonder about the accuracy of these guns. At 100 yards, a lot of people couldn’t hit their targets. They kept trying short bursts but the rounds were striking everywhere except the intended target. Perhaps this was because this was just a fun time. And it was hot. This one guy kept pouring water over his hat and camo T-shirt. Then he let it drip as he sat there. There were some nice blondie womenz in his group who were also wearing camo T-shirts. I was wondering if they were going to follow suit. I had my camera ready. I can only say that it looked like everyone had a good time. There was food, cold water, and plenty of lead. Hopefully I’ll be able to go to the next one as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:57:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:33:40 AM EDT
All day today, I wished I was at the shoot. I could just see the carnage and camaraderie, and I was missing it! I'll have to add a little to each weeks' deposit to the BRC2003 vacation fund to make getting to BF4 easier. I really wish I could have gone, but between work, bills, home maintenance, and the GF, I just couldn't swing it. Like many who missed the BRC have been saying, next year it's a definite! Lucky Bastards!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:23:59 AM EDT
I already posted this on another topic, but I wanted to thank CampyBob plus Mapleton Gun club, even though I was only able to attend for a couple of hours. I met up with a couple of Canton Policemen that I wasn't aware were into guns. (One let me run two mags through is full auto M-16!!) There was a guy recording my conversation with the rep from "Ohioans for Concealed Carry". Does anyone know who he was?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:12:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 5:37:57 AM EDT by 7]
Kingme, Can't tell if your joking about some of your statements or your serious. First off... MAGAZINES not clips. Unless you spotted me with my Garand. As far as tinkering with the guns, most are from the 40's and 50's. Some older. They do need a little tinkering to get them to work. After 86, there are no more transferables allowed so we must do whatever we can to get them to work properly. I saw 1919's and other MG's run all day without a hiccup. You probably saw the few 1919's which were SEMI-AUTO. That is not how the 1919's were originally made. People have 'tinkered' with them and made them non NFA compliant by making them semi-auto. That is what caused problems and that is maybe what you saw. I know the guy next to me had quite a few problems firing more than 4 or 5 shots in a row. [edited to add, some parts have been cutoff and can no longer be imported into the country. Therefore, parts must be reworked from other types of weapons. That could be another explanation.] I'm guessing 3-400 people probably more as some left and others arrived. Each firing >1k of ammo and you have 500,000 rounds easy. Probably more because there were tons of belt-fed's. Those probably threw out 5k each. What a day...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:20:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 8:21:54 AM EDT by Waldo]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:52:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:14:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kingme: And supposedly the sheriff came out and said that neighbors were complaining that we, the event, were making too much noise! I took this as a joke, however it kept surfacing among the people I talked with.
View Quote
Supposedly? The Sheriff was there, but not for noise. He was there because some of the people could not manage their automatic weapons and were raking the tree line. If you watched every so often you could see the impacting rounds move up the back stop and into the tree line. I noticed this when the smaller men and women were shooting standing or from the hip. CAMPYBOB did a good job of getting it under control and once people were aware, I did not see it happen again. Overall, it was a great time (except for the part where I bottomed out my Impala SS on the road). I brought a Garand and an AR-15 but there was so much to see I left them in the SS and marveled. I have seen Vulcan's live-fire but never a Minigun. The 20mm anti-tank gun was cool as well as about 25 other semi-auto and automatic weapon I have only read about. Thanks CAMPBOB. Next year I am going early and bringing a truck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:54:40 AM EDT
the kid shooting the 50 was my son, we all loved the bulletfest, my wife now wants a full auto fnc, and i want them all, my kid fired the m60 on the jeep, he loved it, and yes he is a permanent gun nut, and after yesterday, even more so, there was also a 20mm, and some grenade launchers there, a bump gun from the nam era also, my m4 was a good gun to preactice the art of bump with, my kid got the hgang of it too, we bumped 1000rds, cool, i helped a few people learn the art of bump, the bad deal was the exploding fire extinguisher that flew behind the firing line to damage the roof of an suv, we donated to cover the cost, my sons famous words "GOD BLESS THE MINIGUN"
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:57:02 AM EDT
oh, and much thanks to grin and barret, he was the one who lined the kid up with the barret to fire, it was a friend if his who had the cammo barret, i met a few, and must say thet you are a great bunch of people, when is bulletfest 4, and are there anymore like this one soon
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:31:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 10:39:27 AM EDT by Kingme]
7 said, "First off... MAGAZINES not clips. Unless you spotted me with my Garand." I stand corrected. Thank you. Slip of the tongue. I edited the mistake. I agree with the vaporizing the oil out of the metal part. Still would like to know how our military handles overheated barrels. Were they supplied with a cans of oil in the field?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:47:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:11:15 PM EDT
Top Top