Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 10:15:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a good idea actually. I can't think of any negatives. Right now we have sirens and the emergency broadcast system. Since I don't watch tv and rarely listen to radio other than short wave I'll miss out on any warning like that.

Assuming this would only be used in real emergencies, what bad could it cause?

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Who knows?

I am from the government, and I am here to help.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
119? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
119? [:D]
View Quote

That's the spirt!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]
This sort of thing is already up and running in some areas, and has been for years.

While staying at my uncle's house one Christmas, the phone rang (and woke me up) around 6am.  Turns out it was a severe-storm warning that was phoned to everyone who wanted to be on their emergency-alerts autodialer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]
yea,  or more likely, "there is no danger"
"please go about your business as though nothing will happen".
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This sort of thing is already up and running in some areas, and has been for years.

While staying at my uncle's house one Christmas, the phone rang (and woke me up) around 6am.  Turns out it was a severe-storm warning that was phoned to everyone who wanted to be on their emergency-alerts autodialer.
View Quote

This wouldn't be a bad idea for tornado prone rural parts of the country.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The "Reverse 911" System has been and is being used during the fires we currently have in Colorado, to alert homeowners of immanent danger.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yea,  or more likely, "there is no danger"
"please go about your business as though nothing will happen".
View Quote

Remain in your homes.

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in Oklahoma when there is a tornado warning, not a watch, but a warning they break in over the TV, cable or not... In the county that you are in... Its kinda annoying because you could be sitten there watching the radar and all of a sudden the co-opt that and you can't see what is going on...

SOmetimes what happens is the transmitter will get stuck by lightening and it will nock the cable off the air... hahahaha So this system at least is not bullet proof..

Ben
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top