Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/29/2002 9:48:00 PM EDT
I live near a heavily timbered lake. Locating crappie on it can be a problem, because of the fact that their is such a large amount of standing timber. A year or two ago, I was fishing and not having much luck, the fellow about 100 yards away from me was just ripping them in. After he left, I moved over to his spot and limited out. While pulling up anchor, I spotted a rope tied onto the tree I was next to. The rope was just below the surface. Curiosity got to me. I pulled up the rope , and found a 5 gallon bucket with holes punched in it. The bucket was filled with something or another as it was dribbling out the holes. I caught fish here for the next week or so, each time pulling up the bucket to see if it had been rebaited. I eventually quit catching fish in this location, about the same time that I found the bucket to be empty. What was in this bucket? I am thinking about making a bucket of my own, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:31:47 PM EDT
Dogfood is what I'd suspect was in the bucket. It will attract the smaller baitfish,which attract larger fish ...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:34:18 PM EDT
Chumming for crappie? I think that several companies make a commercial chum/attractant. I've used cat food and soured grain for catfish. 'Round here they build (and mark) brush piles and floating lights and minnows.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:37:11 PM EDT
might not be legal to chum in your state..make sure you check the regs first. i think it's illegal in WI..although as a youngster i chummed corn for carp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:40:13 PM EDT
Toilet paper! I just had to.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
if legal in your state, you might try a crappie light. its like a floating lamp faced into the water for night fishin. illegal in iowa
Top Top