Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 10:18:46 PM EDT
My 98 Nissan Frontier needs new tires.
It came with 215/65/R15's stock.'
I want to put on some sort of an on/off road type treaded tire, no one in my area can tell me if any of them will fit.

One place did tell me to go to a 215/75/R15.

I looked up a program to see what the differences are between stock and aftermarket sized tires, the 215/75/15's will be .85 of an inch taller, the same tire width (not tread width) and it will be 2.7 inches larger overall tire diameter.

Can anyone offer any suggestions (other than selling the truck). [X]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know how wide your rims are?  My Wrangler came stock with 215/75r15's and I threw 31X10.5 on them for a bit.  The rims were 15X7.

Incase you didn't know how to read the metric tire sizes.  The first number is the tread width, the second number is the percentage of the tread width applied to the height so 75% of 215mm and the 15 is the rim size.
You should check with your manual or ask a dealer what the largest size the tuck is built to handle.  If you really want to go crazy, install a lift kit and go with the bug tires.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Yea, 6 inches or 15 X 6.

I know.

Manula says to stick with the stock tire size.

Asked both Nissan dealerS and tire stores, plenty of deer in the headlight looks, no answers.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Les Schwab has tire stores in WA. Give them a call, good quality, good guarentee....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Oak Harbor Les Schwab = Deer in the headlights look
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yea, 6 inches or 15 X 6.

I know.

Manula says to stick with the stock tire size.

Asked both Nissan dealerS and tire stores, plenty of deer in the headlight looks, no answers.

View Quote

The dealer doesn't have a "loaded" vehicle with the biggest tires that they offer?  I know with my Jeep, it was a 29 inch tire and the newer ones have 30's (Anything bigger and you void the warranty)  The guys at ATV told me that most guys show 30's with no problems and 31's "may" rub a bit.

hmm there's an idea, you should ask an after market place like ATV what you can shove under the wheel wells without major problems.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
OK I did a little hunting around on "da WEB."

Are there any major changes from your year to the newer trucks?

The largest tires they have on the trucks now on a 15 inch rim are:

265/70R15
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just go with the closest size you can to stock. Fewer problems encountered. Just make sure that they are B.F.Goodrich A/T's. Best damn truck tire ever made. But I run the muds on my F-250 Super Duty. No girly-man trucks for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Sniper.Find the closest to your stock tire that is carried in stock .Ive worked with tires now for alot of years now and can tell you from experience that a little taller or wider tire than come on your truck usually doesnt make a difference.If I have an oddball tire on my car or truck when I buy it Ill shitcan them ASAP.Reason being you dont want to have a problem with a tire that is special order and have to wait to get one in.Also my suggestion is go to WalMart and check out there Liberators.They are made by BFG and there LT rated tire rides smooth.Also go with the Tire Protection Plan as itll save your ass if theres a problem later with the tire.Plus tire repairs and balancing are free.One last thing to remember.There are Wal Marts everywhere.I dont work at wally but its really good advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top