Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2002 11:40:27 AM EDT
i need some help/advice/whatever

a couple of months ago, i did some "house cleaning" on my computer.  deleted old files that i was done with, uninstalled/removed programs i didn't use (only those i had added myself, nothing that came with the computer), and some reorganization of folders and what not.

well, when i turned on the computer the next time i wanted to use it, i got a "error starting program" warning.  seems i'm missing a .DLL file, in particular the MRTRATE.DLL file (what the hell does this file do anyway?).  the irony is that my computer runs fine.  it doesn't seem to need this file to do the tasks i do on my computer (simple user, nothing hi-tech or new-fangled).  except today i tried loading a new software program and it said it couldn't find the missing file.

well, shit.  now it seems i DO need the file.

so i got online for gateway support.  was given the download, unzipped the file, restarted computer.  same problem.  perhaps i didn't save it in the right place (i have no idea where this file belongs)?

got online a 2nd time, tried GoBack and SystemRestore.  neither one of those worked.

well, i'm tired of gateway support right now and was wondering if any of you computer saavy guys knew what this file was for, where it went, and why it knows its missing it, but doesn't seem to actually need it.  fwiw, the new program i just installed seems to run fine without it too.

whatever happened to the good ol' days of pen and paper?  [B)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you happen to uninstall Quicken?  If so, try reinstalling it and see if the error message goes away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you have Quicken on your computer?

Title Mrtrate.dll, Mrtrate.vxd, Mrtproc.dll or QAgent error messages
KB ID#: 6173
Categories: Online/Internet Setup

Answer: When Quicken is installed, several files necessary for the Background Downloading feature in Quicken are installed that may conflict with existing system drivers or ports. Common symptoms of this are:

Illegal operation and invalid page fault error messages that mention the Mrtrate.dll, Mrtrate.vxd, Mrtproc.dll, or QAgent files
The modem attempts to dial when starting the computer.
You are unable to print after going online
The printer is activated when going online  

[url]http://www.intuit.com/support/quicken/2000/win/6173.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't remember uninstalling quicken.  that's what is so weird.  support tech asked me the same question.

the software CD is at home and the computer is at work so i'll have to install later to see in that helps, but i'm pretty sure i didn't uninstall it.

i still have quicken deluxe 2001 and quicken family lawyer loaded so i can't imagine a quicken program that i would have uninstalled.

grrrrrr.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
While you didn't mention which OS you were running, that .dll should be unzipped into your
\windows\system32 dir.

-xm
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While you didn't mention which OS you were running, that .dll should be unzipped into your
\windows\system32 dir.

-xm
View Quote

Me edition.

it's already unzipped.  can moving it there suffice?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i don't remember uninstalling quicken.  that's what is so weird.  support tech asked me the same question.
View Quote

I think that .dll is associated with a background downloading program.  Sound familiar?

That or simply try reinstalling Quicken.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
\windows\system32 dir.

-xm
View Quote

Me edition.

it's already unzipped.  can moving it there suffice?
View Quote

Yep, just move it there.

-
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
ARLady, if that fails, then run a program called regedit.  Go to Edit -> Find and look for the name of the DLL.  You might see it listed under a different path.z
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez ARlady, if this is pushing you to the brink, then your in for a real treat if you ever have to deal with a failed hard drive or a corrupt OS.

Just preparing you, due to the fact that an end user will experience issue's like the ones I just mentioned AT LEAST once in their life.

BTW, weren't you the one the posted the article about how SHTF for you when you got into a little fender bender?

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Got an AR15 right? Threaten the 'puter with it. Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
AAAAGH.... the 'ole [b]M[/b]istake [b]E[/b]dition, that will do it everytime!!

Nuckles.   [smash]

Seriously, Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You probably have it fixed by now, but WTH does "reorganization of folders" mean? You have to be careful with applications and DLLs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Geez ARlady, if this is pushing you to the brink, then your in for a real treat if you ever have to deal with a failed hard drive or a corrupt OS.
View Quote

it's hardly pushing me to the brink.  i'm more irked that the supposed "help" people can't do shit and i get more and better answers on an internet discussion board.  should've come here first.

Just preparing you, due to the fact that an end user will experience issue's like the ones I just mentioned AT LEAST once in their life.
View Quote

you ASSume i've never had to deal with one before.

BTW, weren't you the one the posted the article about how SHTF for you when you got into a little fender bender?
View Quote

good god, when will you people quit mistaking me for the crazed females who post about once in a blue moon and whine about the "disasters" in their life (no offense to BB meant)? [:D] no, i did NOT have a fender bender lately (knock on wood), no i did NOT compare anything that's happened to me lately to SHTF, and no, i'm not even remotely close to the person who did that, how could you even mistake me for her?  [;)]  pay attention.

Quoted:
You probably have it fixed by now, but WTH does "reorganization of folders" mean? You have to be careful with applications and DLLs.
View Quote

nothing important.  basically, my personal file folder management, you know, all those random things you save "for later" and never really get to.  well, i was cleaning up the organization and putting them all into one miscellaneous folder.  just part of the house cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
ARLady I highly recommend you adopt a better set of computing habits. You seem to have the nasty habit of saving everything together. I have several hard drives and save the junk/games/removables/misc on separate hard drives from my systems files. Then I make an image of my systems hard drive with the basic applications installed. This way if I download some crap that messes up my computer, it's not insane to fix.

BTW, nothing personal, but this advice comes from lessons I learned the hard way, many, many times. If I can get all those hours of my life back...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]

[url=http://www.apple.com/switch/]Switch[/url]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ARLady I highly recommend you adopt a better set of computing habits. You seem to have the nasty habit of saving everything together. I have several hard drives and save the junk/games/removables/misc on separate hard drives from my systems files. Then I make an image of my systems hard drive with the basic applications installed. This way if I download some crap that messes up my computer, it's not insane to fix.

BTW, nothing personal, but this advice comes from lessons I learned the hard way, many, many times. If I can get all those hours of my life back...
View Quote

yeah, sure.  tell me what to do to avoid it (now that i've already suffered), but don't tell me how to fix it.

i know you mean well, but it isn't necessary to lecture me on how to operate my computer.  i've been doing fine for the last 10+ years.  my computing habits are perfectly fine for the level of work that i do.  i think you'd find my files more organized than the average person.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Gateway.  You get what you pay for.  The cheapest isn't the best, and local purchases have local support.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gateway.  You get what you pay for.  The cheapest isn't the best, and local purchases have local support.
View Quote

goes to show how much you don't know, genius.  it wasn't the cheapest.  (cost wasn't even an issue when i bought it). and it was a LOCAL purchase (12 MINUTES AWAY), i have local support, i chose not to use it for the convenience of trying to solve it at my desk right THEN.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

[url=http://www.apple.com/switch/]Switch[/url]
View Quote

You make me sick, please change your state of residence, I hear the prissy califorina's like Apple's as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn guys!!  The poor girl was asking for help, not to be insulted.  Some of you are just rude!!  And that says alot coming from someone like me.

ARLady, I hope you get it fixed, I don't know what the problem is.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#24]
arlady, I HATE GATEWAY AND WINDOWS ME TOO, I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS DAMN COMPUTER!!!!
if it does'nt get any better it may become a target
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you get it fixed ARLady?

The suggestions here were to reinstall Quicken, did you try that? (I understand that you did not uninstall)

Did you try reinstalling ME again...?

sometimes installing these applications over the first install will clear up missing or corrupted .dlls!

(BTW...ME never gave me one lick of trouble...ME was only a problem if it was installed as an update to a previous Win product..So dont be quick to take any advise about dumping it)

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Dave223, ME was garbage. It's really that simple. It was quicly produced due to the fact that WIN2000 was Supposed to fit the bill for both Home and Business.
They pulled out of that late into the project, and threw together a pile called ME.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dave223, ME was garbage. It's really that simple. It was quicly produced due to the fact that WIN2000 was Supposed to fit the bill for both Home and Business.
They pulled out of that late into the project, and threw together a pile called ME.
View Quote

cool. Deal with it quite a bit...not a whole lot of issues that I havent seen on any other
OS. (unless you are upgrading over another product) Not a defender of any particular OS. I find it fun to troubleshoot all of them! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Not me, I've been in the consulting business for 4 years successfully now, a large part of my success has been not recommending Win9x products.

They are garbage with very limted ways to troubleshoot them.

I've had much better luck with NT, 2000 and XP products.

Mac's just don't fit well into the networks I setup and maintain.

I get all bent up about MAC's also cause mac owners alot of times are so vein, with their titanium cases and flashy speakers.

Sorry if I've sounded bitter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not me, I've been in the consulting business for 4 years successfully now, a large part of my success has been not recommending Win9x products.

They are garbage with very limted ways to troubleshoot them.

I've had much better luck with NT, 2000 and XP products.

Mac's just don't fit well into the networks I setup and maintain.

I get all bent up about MAC's also cause mac owners alot of times are so vein, with their titanium cases and flashy speakers.

Sorry if I've sounded bitter.
View Quote

Bitter? Not at all. Sounded more jealous than anything else. [;)]

Do yourself a service and when you get a chance you really should check out OS X. It's absolutely nothing like the old Mac OS and you'll be shocked happy at the networkability.

And we're [i]vain[/i] about our Titanium cases because they [b]are[/b] so cool, but they do get hot! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#30]
This may help you. Download a program called System Mechanic. It's shareware. Do a google.com search for it. System Mechanic will let you decide what starts at bootup. Just uncheck the ones you don't want. The related programs will still run, you'll just have to start them when you need to use them.
Your screwy DLL file problem would be solved if you unchecked the listing for whatever program is trying find it. I only let Explorer and systray run at startup. Great resource saver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought computers were designed to save time and be easy to use...

Hee-Hee...
I'll stick with my quick, efficient, virus-proof WebTV gizmo...[:D]

Throw the computer in the garbage...
It will make you feel better...
(Trust me)
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought computers were designed to save time and be easy to use...

Hee-Hee...
I'll stick with my quick, efficient, virus-proof WebTV gizmo...[:D]

Throw the computer in the garbage...
It will make you feel better...
(Trust me)
View Quote

Art, one of these days you will have a real computer, its just a matter of time !! Try  a Mac, wont have to deal with problems, like above.

Hee-Hee...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

goes to show how much you don't know, genius.  it wasn't the cheapest.  (cost wasn't even an issue when i bought it). and it was a LOCAL purchase (12 MINUTES AWAY), i have local support, i chose not to use it for the convenience of trying to solve it at my desk right THEN.
View Quote

Local Purchase does not mean local support.  Yeah, the gateway store privides trained chimp support.  

I assume with all your computer knowledge that you have a tape unit in the system so you can restore your windows directory back to the way it was before things got deleted?

By the way, I have been in the industry for 14 years.  I taught high end networking classes for 6 of those.  I currently design and install enterprise WAN/switching system and VoiP systems.

You should have asked around.  Gateway's are not good for anything but holding down papers.  They have no consistancy.  You can buy 10 systems of the same model and they will have different system boards and components in them, which causes a support nightmare.

Restore your system back to the way it was with your tape unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top